Montreal MLS roster discussion

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Canadians, what in the world is going on with Greg Sutton? He was put on the re-entry draft list and later removed. In this article about approaching Anelka, Jesse Marsch is quite cryptic as far as Sutton is concerned:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/05/impact-head-coach-marsch-confirms-talks-anelka

Not on the list anymore is Montreal’s 2011 goalkeeper Greg Sutton, who was on loan from the New York Red Bulls. The netminder's future with the Impact is unknown.

“I won’t talk about that just yet,” Marsch said of Sutton’s situation. “Yes, I can confirm that we have taken his name off the list.”

Anyone heard any news about this?

Speaking of Canadians, what in the world is going on with Greg Sutton? He was put on the re-entry draft list and later removed. In this article about approaching Anelka, Jesse Marsch is quite cryptic as far as Sutton is concerned:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/05/impact-head-coach-marsch-confirms-talks-anelka

Not on the list anymore is Montreal’s 2011 goalkeeper Greg Sutton, who was on loan from the New York Red Bulls. The netminder's future with the Impact is unknown.

“I won’t talk about that just yet,” Marsch said of Sutton’s situation. “Yes, I can confirm that we have taken his name off the list.”

Anyone heard any news about this?

It sounds like he would be announcing his retirement.

Any trade with Seattle or just a permanent signing after his loan?
There hasn't been any trade announced but if we didn't pick any of their unprotected players in the draft then that could have been the deal. I know they had one in place like that bu I can't remember if it was with Seattle or Portland.

Do we really want Montano for MLS?... I'm not sure his late-season performances warrant a MLS contract. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but seems a little too whiny and fragile to me (maybe Marsch's American mentality will reform him?).

I guess the coaches think the awesome Montano from the last couple of games is the real him, not the diving, lazy, whining-to-the-ref Montano from his first couple of games.

Greg Sutton signs on as third keeper:

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2011/12/goalkeeper-greg-sutton-returns-impact

This is a real odd signing in my opinion. Is he just there as an insurance in case there are injuries? I don't see him getting any game time with Rickets and Bush ahead of him in the pecking order. I was sure he was going to end up as a backup elsewhere.

It's a sentimentality/deep insurance/ practice keeper signing IMO.

If they go on to sign Gatti, Ilcu and Bernier I will have no complaints re: Canadian content.

If it's Sutton, Pizzolitto and DiLorenzo I'll change teams.

Yes at first I was like WTF when I read of them signing him. But if they got him fairly cheap he could be a good choice as a 3rd keeper given that Ricketts has had injury problems and Bush does not have any MLS experience. I imagine they got a good reading on Sutton's attitude last season and he knows the situation and is ok with it. However, if we are only going to have two more Canadians other than Sutton I am going to be pissed.

Yes at first I was like WTF when I read of them signing him. But if they got him fairly cheap he could be a good choice as a 3rd keeper given that Ricketts has had injury problems and Bush does not have any MLS experience. I imagine they got a good reading on Sutton's attitude last season and he knows the situation and is ok with it. However, if we are only going to have two more Canadians other than Sutton I am going to be pissed.

+1

It's a sentimentality/deep insurance/ practice keeper signing IMO.

If they go on to sign Gatti, Ilcu and Bernier I will have no complaints re: Canadian content.

If it's Sutton, Pizzolitto and DiLorenzo I'll change teams.

Pizzolitto is actually is contention to make it to the MLS sqaud?? Isn't he like 35?

Ilcu and Gatti I would be stoked to have on the roster any day. Agourram will have to show up lean, mean and serious to have any chance IMO. I REALLY hope Sebrango is not just a courtesy tryout, I think he could be great as a 75th minute super sub for a year or even two, in the amazing shape that he's in. Pizzolitto better be a courtesy tryout. Nothing against him, and he was a legend for the team, but two seasons in a row he was slow and indecisive in distribution in D2.

Archived