TFC @Vancouver - Sat. March 19th, 2011. (R)

jpg75

A communal thread for fans of opposing soccer teams, what a great idea Bob! That way we can avoid petty bickering that could derail the thread...kumbaya my lord, kumbaya...

Why bother with any threads then? TFC fans can chat on their own discussion board, Whitecaps on their own and that will solve everything. No need for a MLS section on this board at alll in that case.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why bother with any threads then? TFC fans can chat on their own discussion board, Whitecaps on their own and that will solve everything. No need for a MLS section on this board at alll in that case.

Where do i sign up?

Don't be ignorant. You can find plenty of club discussion boards where you can chat about threads of your team with likewise fans. RPB, Big Soccer (Toronto section) etc.

Gee, thanks clit. Holy ****, are you for real? Mr. 5 posts dishing out advice...

Ya know what guys, never mind. Enjoy the degeneration of this sub-forum over the next 24 months.

Fantastic half, great atmosphere, and many positives for the 'Caps.

Standouts for me were:

Alain Rochat

Davide Chiumiento

Russell Teibert

Eric Hassli

Bobby, Teitur, and Soehn might just know a thing or two about picking out a player, after all.

*yes, I fully realise that it's only one half of football, but you can clearly see the class with these four players in particular.

Fantastic half, great atmosphere, and many positives for the 'Caps.

Standouts for me were:

Alain Rochat

Davide Chiumiento

Russell Teibert

Eric Hassli

Bobby, Teitur, and Soehn might just know a thing or two about picking out a player, after all.

*yes, I fully realise that it's only one half of football, but you can clearly see the class with these four players in particular.

I agree with the players you've singled out but I would add Terry Dunfield, I'm really impress with him. Excellent run to elude his marker on his goal and rarely loose possession.

I agree with the players you've singled out but I would add Terry Dunfield, I'm really impress with him. Excellent run to elude his marker on his goal and rarely loose possession.

Don't get me wrong. I think Terry Dunfield will be the beating heart of this team. I'm not sure he's quite at the level of those other players, from a pure quality perspective.

Defensive lapses really killed Toronto tonight, we had a ton of possession but couldn't do anything with it. Vancouver was much more dangerous tonight especially with their through balls and crosses, both things that TFC lacked. Vancouver had 3 mids who could create in Dunfield, Chiumiento and Teibert and a striker who could finish in Hassli. TFC had... De Rosario with a couple flashes from Martina and Santos. Add to this that Vancouver has two class backs in DeMerit and Rochat and the keeper situations didn't even matter. If Frei was in net for Vancouver im not sure we would have even scored, both goals were saveable imo. Vancouver's third and fourth goals were definitely preventable im sure Winter will address those.

TFC had their share of lapses, but there also seemed to be a strategic/structural problem. There seemed always to be acres of space between the back four and the midfield when Vancouver was counter attacking. Not surprising, maybe, when one of your central mids is DeRo.

Certainly was a great kick off for the Whitecaps. And one helluva game to watch. I really hope TSN got good numbers cause that game certainly should help sell a few on Canadian soccer (well maybe not Canadian defending).

The game really illustrated how in need of a Jay DeMerit-esque character at the back TFC are.

Also great to see Dunfield score today, the guy just couldn't stop smiling. Fantastic story.

Wasn't a whole lot more you could have asked for in the Whitecaps debut MLS game: sunshine, great atmosphere, lots of goals, and a Whitecaps win over Toronto. Was the most fun I've had watching an MLS game in a while (and I'm not just saying this because there hasn't been an MLS game since November).

EDIT: Also - Hassli is awesome :)

Notes to Aron Winter:

- Adrian Cann is not a left back. Please move him to the middle where he belongs.

- Ty Harden is not a centre-back - at least, not for the purposes of the possession style of play that you are trying to employ. With Cann and Nana healthy, please move Harden to the bench where he belongs

- Jacob Peterson is not a central-midfielder. Please move him to the wing where he belongs.

Note to Julian De Guzman:

- please get healthy soon. We need you.

Positives were that Your Ass and my namesake looked pretty good - from what I saw, I wish they had started the match.

The most positive thing overall was this was a great day for Canadian soccer, as painful as it was for us TFC fans (to be honest, I was expecting a loss). National broadcast of the first top-flight game between two Canadian based teams in a very, very long time. TSN put this game on their front-page on the website and it caught the attention of a lot of people who wouldn't normally have seen it - a lot of anti-soccer *******s in the comments section predicting a boring game and a 0-0 scoreline. Hopefully the 4-2 scoreline will not only shut the *******s up (at least for a time) but will bring new fans to the sport. It will be interesting to see what the ratings are like. On top of that, there was a healthy number of Canadians on the pitch altogether including two goal-scorers, and a surprise debut for young Keith Makabuya (although he did look a bit over-awed by the occasion, or not quite ready). Teibert looks like quite the prospect, a Canadian that can take free kicks and corners.

What a game! Teibert & Hassli teamed up great and "Mr. T" was absolute dynomite! Receiving those long passes and keeping the ball within 2 feet, give and go to the big guy up front, closing down opposing players. Wow does this kid have potential. Gargan looked like he was having fits trying to defend against Teibert and didn't dare go forward to join the attack.

Davide C was amazing in the first and Nizsar filled in great in the second (I hope DC was a precautionary sub out). Hassli looked slow at the start but then got into his rhythm and did what he needed to do. Defense looked a bit slack early but tightened up quickly and dealt with most of what TFC could throw at them. Mids did great and very effective interceptions, great distribution.

Everything including the weather cooperated for Vancouver today and the whole team played one hellofa match. Wes on the pass over was pure pro. Could have shot but passed to a wide open Hassli for the easy gimme goal. Where the hell was TFC defense? Hassli had to run 50 yards to get in position and he isn't that fast so where were TFC's defenders? I mean if you get outrun by Hassli then you just plain gave up. Bad, very bad.

TFC? Harden played the worst I have ever seen him. If they are so short at LB that they move Cann out there then they need to sign someone quickly. They need Cann back at CB with Nana (who battled respectably against more seasoned players). The possession was actually in their favor (60/40 in the first half, I don't know about the second) but bad marking on corners, and breakdowns up the middle left Frei on his own too much. The LB and RB didn't get forward much or contribute much when they did (Cann) whereas Vancouver were very effective with Rochat and Leathers. You really need a RB & LB and put Cann back at CB. Harden was completely owned today.

Great game overall especially because WE WON :-)

Defensive lapses really killed Toronto tonight, we had a ton of possession but couldn't do anything with it. Vancouver was much more dangerous tonight especially with their through balls and crosses, both things that TFC lacked. Vancouver had 3 mids who could create in Dunfield, Chiumiento and Teibert and a striker who could finish in Hassli. TFC had... De Rosario with a couple flashes from Martina and Santos. Add to this that Vancouver has two class backs in DeMerit and Rochat and the keeper situations didn't even matter. If Frei was in net for Vancouver im not sure we would have even scored, both goals were saveable imo. Vancouver's third and fourth goals were definitely preventable im sure Winter will address those.

A ton of possession in the wrong half, passing it back to Frei .. thing about Toronto that amazes me is every yr, despite changes in manager and players, they look like the same team. Still unable to link up with the offense. Out of sync.. as if they were put together yesterday. But is there changes, really? Gargan, Harden. Fire hydrants ..

Vancouver looked much quicker and great off the counter.. Congrats Vancouver.. exciting team!

Archived