TFC @Vancouver - Sat. March 19th, 2011. (R)

jpg75

Based on TFC performances tonight the ideal XI from the start should have been

-----------Santos--------De Rosario--------------

Martina------Zavarise----Sturgis------Peterson

Yourassowsky---Cann---Attakora---Gargan

-------------------Frei-----------------------

Why Harden was given the start over Yourassowsky is puzzling but so was starting Soolsma..

I thought for sure we would see Cordon or Zavarise given the start, ahhh well next match I guess thats a guarantee. Really surprised we saw Makubuya that was out of nowhere I thought for sure the only youngster we would see if any would be Oscar.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on TFC performances tonight the ideal XI from the start should have been

-----------Santos--------De Rosario--------------

Martina------Zavarise----Sturgis------Peterson

Yourassowsky---Cann---Attakora---Gargan

-------------------Frei-----------------------

Why Harden was given the start over Yourassowsky is puzzling but so was starting Soolsma..

I thought for sure we would see Cordon or Zavarise given the start, ahhh well next match I guess thats a guarantee. Really surprised we saw Makubuya that was out of nowhere I thought for sure the only youngster we would see if any would be Oscar.

I agree, Harden was by far the worst player on the field. Both full backs were dreadful and constantly getting exposed. I thought Soolsma (Blonde guy right?) was pretty good. I bet he'll do a lot more than Peters will.

As for Tiebert, he needs to be called for the Gold Cup. He was definately something else out there.

Fun game to watch! You could see the dutch influence with the scoreline....

For TFC, what was Cann doing at LB? Harden was probably the worst player on the pitch and Nana had a tough night as well. TFC midfield was non existent and did very little all night. Poor Frei and poor DeRo, the only 2 decent players at TFC.

For Vancouver I was impress with both Canadians, they are quality. I was impress when I saw Chiumento last year and he lived up to the expectation today!

I'm not sure about Nolly, that first goal looked saveable. He remminds me of Sutton when he played for TFC.

I'm sorry JdV but that tackle on Zavarise was a foul. It's a thing to touch the ball first but you can't come late with the second leg like that and almost break your opponent foot

To add to what Loyola said, I have to admit this was the best MLS game I had ever seen. Vancouver can potentially go all the way with that team.

I disagree i think that Toronto wont be that great this year, primarily due to the fact that they are using a new system. I can see Vancouver potentially squeezing into the playoffs, but you never know...

To add to what Loyola said, I have to admit this was the best MLS game I had ever seen. Vancouver can potentially go all the way with that team.

They don't have many holes do they? And I agree with you about Teibert being called, Johnson and Peters got senior caps at that age and I don't think they were nearly as good at that age.

I think we'll need a few more games before knowing if TFC made Vancouver looked good tonight but TFC looked really bad today,one of the worst game I've seen from them.

And yes Teibert should be called to the MNT soon. Dunfield as well.

That was one of the most enjoyable games I have watched in a long while. While I have faithfully supported TFC since they began, I was pulling for Vancouver today. There is some real talent there. Chiumiento and Hassli were fun to watch. It was good to see a striker finish when he had to. I have to say, I was so pleased for Dunfield - the smile that he had after his goal was priceless, you couldn't wipe it off.

I'll still cheer loudly for both clubs. Success to both. We in Calgary can only be green with envy. Cheers.

I'd forgotten that this game was on til I got home tonight, and, while admitting that I don't get a chance to see much MLS, the highlights that I looked at the MLS website certainly seem to indicate that TFC are a piss poor team. Hope that a good chunk of the country saw the game today, was a rather freakish throw back to the days of Brian Budd et al, with a pair of teams north of the border now I am a hell of a lot more interested than I have otherwise been. Licking my chops in anticipation of the Impact getting in the mix. This can only bode well for the National program, and that, essentially, is all I care about or ask of MLS. Can't help feeling that we'd be a lot better off if Hume, Friend, McKenna etc were playing at home, a shorter flight away from regular training with the squad in the run up to 2014. Was really great to see a full natural grass stadium hosting two Canadian teams in the sunshine, am I reading too much into all this?

TFC had their share of lapses, but there also seemed to be a strategic/structural problem. There seemed always to be acres of space between the back four and the midfield when Vancouver was counter attacking. Not surprising, maybe, when one of your central mids is DeRo.

As a collective, the midfield trio of TFC couldn't cope. Padding possession stats with unchallenged passes between the defenders and the keeper serve as a mirage for the number of times the ball was turned over in the middle of the park and the Caps went on the attack. Neither Peterson nor Sturgis could do the jobs of (i) linking the play from defence to the attackers (JDG's role) and (ii) blocking and destroying the Caps build up play through the likes of Chumiento. As G-L says, they need De Guzman back as soon as possible to handle the former, and find a better defensive presence to take care of the latter. I didn't notice DeRo making a worthwhile second half contribution until after the third Caps' goal, about 20 minutes into the half. Not a good sign.

It also didn't help that Harden channelled his inner Marco Velez/Nick Garcia with his play on the ball, but I didn't feel that the back line was any great shakes in general, either on the ball or off it. Cann looked pretty uncomfortable as a fullback.

A great way to begin MLS for the Caps: way to go! She's a long season, so we'll see how things progress for the Left Coasters. For the boys from T.O. it can only go up (one hopes).

What a dream come true. To be at a pub full of supporters was great - the march, and then the match from heaven. And then to walk home after in the sunshine. Best day ever!

Hasli is going to be a lot of fun. Did Chumiento and/or Tuebert get hurt, btw?

It also didn't help that Harden channelled his inner Marco Velez/Nick Garcia with his play on the ball, but I didn't feel that the back line was any great shakes in general, either on the ball or off it. Cann looked pretty uncomfortable as a fullback.

I still can't believe Cann started at LB. After the last pre-season game when he was forced to do that apology to the camera, he was asked how he felt playing at LB and he said "To be honest, I was pretty much out of my depth out there" and Winter, standing beside him, basically agreed and said he was really a "number 4" (ie. a centre-back) - but then threw him out there in a game that counted with two LB's sitting on the bench. I wasn't overly impressed with Winter in the post-game scrum on TFC TV where he did a lot more blaming of the refs than I would have and indicated that Cann didn't have a good game. Well, I'm sure if you played Frei at striker and Makabuya in goal, they wouldn't have good games either! To be honest, he was a disaster at LB, but that was entirely predictable and preventable if he was just put in the middle. And while he wasn't good, he at least has a legitimate excuse, something that Harden simply doesn't have. I never thought Cann was great with possession but he's definitely better than Harden if today's game is anything to go by.

^I too am left scratching my head as to why he'd play there.

The marking off of dead ball situations is pretty dodgy with this team. Boxall had a free header off Teibert's free kick and DeMerit was unopposed with his first half header off of a corner, only to see it hit his own player and go out of touch. That was also a problem last year, too.

Santos set up DeRo's goal and had a cracker for the second, so that was good to see. I always wonder about his conditioning/fitness with regards to avoiding or quickly overcoming injuries, but I don't have any issues with his play.

^I too am left scratching my head as to why he'd play there.

One can only speculate that with Yourassowsky only signing yesterday, they must have prepared for the game without him in case he didn't sign or his ITC didn't arrive in time? And maybe didn't want to disrupt what they'd prepared...I know it sounds ridiculous in retrospect, but...they should have had the unit solidified WELL ahead of the first game...

This is DeRo's facebook status:

"‎8,000th goal in MLS HISTORY! Thanks to all the players/staff and fans for helping me achieve that goal..."

I really hope that it isn't him writing that, because if it is the guy needs to take a serious look at himself. What a terrible ****ing captain. It's your first game of the season, against an expansion franchise. Your team is handled easily, gives up four goals to a team playing its first competitive game. This was billed as one of the biggest games for Canadian soccer in the last year or so. And DeRo is celebrating a meaningless goal because it's a milestone that really isn't even that important and has nothing to do with himself or the team.

The guy is ridiculously arrogant. How about apologizing to your fans for the performance your team put out there today, or even apologizing for your own performance after you disappeared in the second half. Real leadership you showed in the second half when the team needed a lift and all you did was walk around the pitch asking for the ball and sulking when you didn't get it. DeMerit is going to be a fantastic captain for the Whitecaps, a real inspirational leader with passion while Toronto has got this douchebag to look up to.

I like DeRo as a player, but its time someone else took up the mantle as the franchise player for Toronto, and its definitely time to hand over the captaincy to just about anyone else on the team. Someone who won't be talking about a pointless individual "achievement" (if you can even call it that, its more just good timing) after a loss but taking a bit of the blame and putting the team out there and accountable.

One can only speculate that with Yourassowsky only signing yesterday, they must have prepared for the game without him in case he didn't sign or his ITC didn't arrive in time? And maybe didn't want to disrupt what they'd prepared...I know it sounds ridiculous in retrospect, but...they should have had the unit solidified WELL ahead of the first game...

Certainly plausible, for sure, but the last point is the most significant.

This is DeRo's facebook status:

"8,000th goal in MLS HISTORY! Thanks to all the players/staff and fans for helping me achieve that goal..."

I really hope that it isn't him writing that, because if it is the guy needs to take a serious look at himself. .

Maybe just trying to put some positive spin on a sad performance? It does sound out of place given the way the game went. Maybe he didn't want to sound negative about his teammates (especially the defense)? Nothing said would have been better.

The reason he disappeared in the second was the Caps doubled up on him and were paying more attention to him. Nobody else was threatening so make sure to mark the one guy who is. TFC had no play from RB/LB to help out and very little else going offensively. At least the players who were supposed to score for TFC did score (although Santos was not a factor until he got his shot in).

Compared to the way Teibert and Hassli worked together down the left I didn't see anything from TFC of similar danger. TFC possessed the ball well, scored 2 goals but looked dreadful on defense. You have to put Cann back at CB. Harden was owned and Cann is not a LB. Nana did okay considering he was trying to cover a large experienced vet, trying to cover for his CB partner and trying to be aware of Teibert blowing past Gargan. Your defensive midfielders really got carved up to boot.

Archived