TFC @Vancouver - Sat. March 19th, 2011. (R)

jpg75

i really don't get the dero hatred from TFC fans....it is unjustified in my opinion.

if i were going to complain about an overpaid underachiever on TFC it would be JDG....dero scores like crazy and appears to be trying all the time...JDG looks like he would rather be on his couch at home.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched alot of the game again.. I think TFC was a bit unlucky in early in the game, then got put off and started to really suck, later, maybe then doubting themselves.

One of the problems last yr was Gargan-Garcia slow motion combo... and what have they done? They still start Gargan, and replace Garcia with someone maybe just as slow as Garcia and playing out of position.. So they didn't fix that at all. That would have been the first thing I would have set about fixing. The other problem was striker, and playing Dero out of position.. well, who started up front.. Meanwhile, of the starters, 8 were from last yr!

Soolsma looked good, I thought...

I shook my head over MLS 8000th goal mention.. come on.. do we celebrate this sort of thing in other leagues?

Oh ya, Harden is the new Garcia... as if they have to have to start the worst player in the league, no matter what, as some kind of charity..

i really don't get the dero hatred from TFC fans....it is unjustified in my opinion.

if i were going to complain about an overpaid underachiever on TFC it would be JDG....dero scores like crazy and appears to be trying all the time...JDG looks like he would rather be on his couch at home.

1. Not a TFC fan

2. I don't hate DeRo. I like DeRo, I'm not blaming the whole loss on him, he was one of Toronto's best players out there. I'm just saying the guy is arrogant as can be and is a terrible captain.

Maybe it is because TFC's coach was coaching his first professional game of soccer.
Which is it ?... cause i thought he did a good job coaching if its his first senior men's side game.... and TFC was playing a club that has been professional for a long time. TFC did as well as could be expected...remember they dont like playing on artificial turf.

Unwise to take much away from the 1st match of the season but have to say things are odviously looking very positive for Vancouver and very negative for TFC. Overall nice to see TT isn't a-feard to send the lads out there to play with some energy.

Wow, did Demerit get ripped off on that tackle. Text-book. A thing of beauty. Would use it to make training videos. Would also use the ref's reaction in those same training videos. Both actions have great educational value to footballers.

Oh, my. Not sure Winter knew exactly what he was getting into when he came over to MLS and I'm not sure exactly what his complete role is in Toronto but if he thinks in this salary capped league he's going to bring a Dutch game to BMO Field any time soon he's off his nut. And trying to make players play a game they have neither the head nor the skill set for is just poor management.

Cann at left back? While you play Harden in the middle. You must be joking. Well thank Gawd Cann was on the field because I'd hate to think how much more damage Hassli would have done to TFC on all those corners because he was sure as **** bullying his way around the open pitch otherwise.

And unjustly putting any blame on the ref for yesterdays loss just comes off as sulking. A deflecting tactic we've seen used too often by previous TFC employees with Scottish, Geordie & English accents. Guess the Dutch accent would take the tactic for a test drive to. You know, just 'cause it worked out so well for the others. Sheesh.

Ha! Dunfield looked right at home and showed himself very well. Too bad we didn't get to see more of Chiumiento yesterday. Think he may be in for a rougher ride against more serious opposition but he looks to have the goods to put defenders on to their back foot.

Wonderful goal by dos Santos. Ka-BOOOM! Pick that one out.

I think we'll need a few more games before knowing if TFC made Vancouver looked good tonight but TFC looked really bad today,one of the worst game I've seen from them.

And yes Teibert should be called to the MNT soon. Dunfield as well.

TFC looked bad, but there were periodic sparks of really good, positive play from them time to time. You could clearly see what Winter was trying to do, he just needs a little more time.

Soolsma looked absolutely awful. Just woeful.

Agreed, Soolsma looked like what he was, a fourth division player. No surprise when he was subbed at half. And Gargan, he has the touch of a cement wall. No need to say anything about Ty Harden.

We've been hearing Teitur talk for three years about playing some attacking football so it was nice to finally see it. Unlike Winter, TT has the players in place finally to play his system. Though TFC is not much of a test at the moment. Surprised no one has commented on Koffie. He's only 19 himself and was very tidy with the ball. And was able to retain possession while moving forward. Hopefully, for TFC's sake, JDG can bring this to the club as the defenders stroking it back to the keeper doesn't look like total football to me.

I feel bad for the TFC supporters having to watch that all year. The atmosphere at Empire was pretty good, but it's easy to sing when you're winning and we have a long way to go to match the atmosphere at BMO -at least in prawnside where I'm sitting. Still, as many have said, the day exceeded expectations -and how often does that happen?

Ha! Dunfield looked right at home and showed himself very well. Too bad we didn't get to see more of Chiumiento yesterday. Think he may be in for a rougher ride against more serious opposition but he looks to have the goods to put defenders on to their back foot.

That guy had freedom of the pitch and was given way too much time to make plays, especially when he moved inland to create Dunfield's goal. That exposed defensive issues in midfield.

Mariner needs to unearth another Shalrie Joseph with T.O. like he and Nicol had in NE to complement JDG's linking play skills in order to win and distribute the ball to DeRo, Santos, et. al., because when TFC did get the ball to that area of the field they were a threat on the attack.

We've been hearing Teitur talk for three years about playing some attacking football so it was nice to finally see it. Unlike Winter, TT has the players in place finally to play his system. Though TFC is not much of a test at the moment. Surprised no one has commented on Koffie. He's only 19 himself and was very tidy with the ball. And was able to retain possession while moving forward. Hopefully, for TFC's sake, JDG can bring this to the club as the defenders stroking it back to the keeper doesn't look like total football to me.

I feel bad for the TFC supporters having to watch that all year. The atmosphere at Empire was pretty good, but it's easy to sing when you're winning and we have a long way to go to match the atmosphere at BMO -at least in prawnside where I'm sitting. Still, as many have said, the day exceeded expectations -and how often does that happen?

Yep. It was a divine day but I spent the entire first half arguing with soccer moms and suburbanites behind me, in the southeast corner right next to the southsiders, to sit down and to put my scarf down. Right in the corner, everyone in front of me was standing, everyone behind was sitting. It will take time.

I also groaned that the best chant of the night was the stupid white......caps call-and-answer although it was nice to hear such a roar all the same after years of polite golf claps from the masses.The opening ceremony was too "Swangard kids tourney" for my liking (after all this talking up of the top-secret football atmosphere being prepared all week) And also, why throw things at the end of a match when your team won?

There will be many quiet nights at Empire and Vancouver fans will need a lot of educating as the season rolls on. Fortunately it looks like they have a team who will compete on most nights, although (like TFC a year or two back) this team will be decimated by international call-ups.

Dream debut. Bravo Johnnie and Massimo et al of the southsiders. It was literally your day in the sun and you all damn well deserved it.

Soolsma was the blonde right?

Soolsma can also be identified as the one who kept giving the ball away, would shy away from tackles, hesitated when he actually had the opportunity to strike the ball which lead to pitiful attempts, and who played with zero confidence (zero confidence could actually mean he just had zero awareness on the pitch). I don't know what Winter was expecting. I hope I am wrong and he turns out to be a good addition, but from what I saw yesterday, he is what he is. A 4th tier Dutch player who does NOT deserve to be here. Hope he proves me wrong.

Clearly the team played like absolute garbage, but on the positives; I have always liked Santos - his control, the way he shields the ball, his power. So I am happy that he looks in form although he got essentially no service, and when he did have a chance at goal, he took it. DeRo also looks like he hasn't missed his scoring touch; the guy doesn't miss when he has a opportunity. Also the Belgian sub that filled in looked like a hard tackler and strong on the ball.

Something needs to be done by next game. I do believe in Winter and his knowledge about the beautiful game, but this isn't the Serie A or La Liga. It is Major fkn League Soccer. You can't play a game of possession and tactical build-up when you have a team that cannot string 3-4 passes together. When you have a defense who do not know how to distribute other than playing a long ball to the vicinity of your strikers, then you have problems. Not blaming it on the defense as the movement in the midfield didn't seem apparent. But if this kind of crap continues, "Total Football" can be replaced with "Total Sh*et", if it already hasn't.

Oh well, let's see what happens.

Surprised no one has commented on Koffie. He's only 19 himself and was very tidy with the ball. And was able to retain possession while moving forward.

Yes he was overlooked by myself and others. Glad you remembered to bring him up. For the position and responsibilites he has you would notice him most if he made mistakes. He was solid and unspectacular but that is a good thing. That and he didn't get red carded, he worries me a bit some days with his tackles. Not that he does dirty plays but very aggressive and depending on what angle the ref is at it could go bad. He made it through the game without a yellow so good on him. With Teibert playing like a maniac on the left Koffie was bound to be overshadowed.

I thought you were kidding when you said he looked good. What the hell are you watching? He was extremely slow and sluggish, and looked like he didn't belong on the field.

And it's really not even close...

Oh ok ... maybe I saw him do one thing right, and didn't pay attention to the rest. I was mesmerized by all the goof-ups by Harden/Gargan. A.k.a, Hargan.

I'm a little confused, wasn't Soolsma the guy that thread that perfect through ball to Dero?

Strange, I was under the impression it was him, too, but I saw Santos got the assist. And then watched the highlight.. Soolsma was standing near Santos, that's the only way I can explain my confusion.

There was one jaw-dropping pass by Gargan .. in his own end, it went across the field, a perfect perpendicular to the sidelines, reaching the middle of the field, nobody within 15 yards of it, of either team, and was eventually picked up by the Vancouver rushing forward .. it was one of the worst passes I've ever seen, it was magnificent in its awfulness. It was as if he were playing tennis, and trying to place a drop shot.

+1

There was one jaw-dropping pass by Gargan .. in his own end, it went across the field, a perfect perpendicular to the sidelines, reaching the middle of the field, nobody within 15 yards of it, of either team, and was eventually picked up by the Vancouver rushing forward .. it was one of the worst passes I've ever seen, it was magnificent in its awfulness. It was as if he were playing tennis, and trying to place a drop shot.

If that was the worst, then second place goes to Harden trying to switch the ball from the left to Gargan right and hitting straight to the Caps' forward on that side of the field. Boy, he had a tough match on the ball, didn't he?

Archived