CONCACAF U17 Final: Canada vs USA February 27th, 2011

jpg75

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proud of the boys. That first goal just threw them off as they tried really hard to score an equalizer and I find they just were hurrying so much they lost composure. They put every once of energy and heart. I'm just really proud of them. Heads up boys! Can't wait to watch this group progress in the upcoming years. Canadian soccer looks bright for 2018, 2022 WC.

Ooop, in response to Dino, I don't agree. Our boys were undone by two misses in the 1st half. Either one of those breakaways results in a goal and it's a whole different scenario, Americans stretching to come back.

The boys exceeded our expectations, everyone here should be proud of that effort. We were a younger team than the states but pushed them right to the wire and if it weren't for that screamer we could be looking at a different scoreline.

Mission accomplished, we are in the World Cup and our boys got to play 5 competitive matches that will further improve them... now back to their academies to work hard on their games and get as far as we can in the World Cup.

Before I say anything, I think they did pretty good overall. Considering their history. In this game they appeared to me to be over-matched, ultimately. I got the sense USA was better EVEN in the first half, ya Canada had those hectic breaks but they weren't supported. Meanwhile USA was able to work the ball to the box more deliberately so their chances seemed more real, even when they fizzled.

Conditioning? Well ... physically stronger? Well.... Canada seemed to get pushed off the ball alot, but then players were left alone with the ball alot. Maybe that's why they got tired.. relying on those breaks.. single players having to fight off two guys when they had the ball..

Canada may have been guilty a bit of playing not to lose--which usually fails. I dunno .. I sure would like to see Canadians beat USA in a meaningful game one of these days. Maybe they have at some level, and I missed it. Can't they get lucky? They seem not to have got alot of breaks in the past.

The red card was not what we wanted going to the WC. Lapenna had a decent game to that point. Then again, the Americans lost their best player in that exchange. I only got home to catch the second half and i dont think we got even a shot on goal. As i always said, the objective is to qualify and we did that but I would have liked to have seen that we could play with these guys (create the odd scoring change and hold some possession) but i didn't see that. So that's has to be disappointing given that the completion at the WC will be tougher when we face a Euro or south american side.

Great showing but the final shows that there is room for improvement.

I found our boy were trying to hard to play through the Alleman kid, thus making the task twice as hard.

Well it wouldn't be a bad strategy if he had more support... when we hoofed the ball up we would instantly give ourselves a mismatch because the states would be all over whoever touched that ball with 2 or sometimes 3 guys in the case of Aleman. If we had a midfielder pushed further up to support Aleman this wouldn't be so bad as we could counter that mismatch and dish it off. Alderson in the first half was playing that role well and we were controlling possession but as Alderson tired he had to make a choice between offense and defense, he still played an awesome game and was maybe our best player on the day. Notice the same problem happened to us in the Panama and T&T matches...

If I was the rest of CONCACAF I would be scratching my chin right now mumbling "Academies you say..."

Well, Canada didn't invent academies. In fact we are probably the last country in the world to have them. I am pretty sure that central americans youth players come through the ranks of their own pro clubs. as Is the case in the rest of the world.

Well it wouldn't be a bad strategy if he had more support... when we hoofed the ball up we would instantly give ourselves a mismatch because the states would be all over whoever touched that ball with 2 or sometimes 3 guys in the case of Aleman. If we had a midfielder pushed further up to support Aleman this wouldn't be so bad as we could counter that mismatch and dish it off. Alderson in the first half was playing that role well and we were controlling possession but as Alderson tired he had to make a choice between offense and defense, he still played an awesome game and was maybe our best player on the day. Notice the same problem happened to us in the Panama and T&T matches...

I just think! that strategy hinders other kids from stepping up. And when the strategy doesnt work the team deflates, because the wonderkid isnt gonna save the day. I love all them for their efforts, but imo that strategy killed us against good opposition.

Well, Canada didn't invent academies. In fact we are probably the last country in the world to have them. I am pretty sure that central americans youth players come through the ranks of their own pro clubs. as Is the case in the rest of the world.

No Canada invented everything. Except coconuts.

That was a fantastic tournament result for the boys. The USA are not unbeatable but they did persevere in this one. Thought we could have taken the game in the first half and we had chances to go ahead in the 2nd half. I did miss the last 20 minutes of the 2nd half and only caught the extra time after the dust-up, but no shame in losing in extra time. Hope our U23's gain some inspiration from these young kids.

Before I say anything, I think they did pretty good overall. Considering their history. In this game they appeared to me to be over-matched, ultimately. I got the sense USA was better EVEN in the first half, ya Canada had those hectic breaks but they weren't supported. Meanwhile USA was able to work the ball to the box more deliberately so their chances seemed more real, even when they fizzled.

Conditioning? Well ... physically stronger? Well.... Canada seemed to get pushed off the ball alot, but then players were left alone with the ball alot. Maybe that's why they got tired.. relying on those breaks.. single players having to fight off two guys when they had the ball..

Canada may have been guilty a bit of playing not to lose--which usually fails. I dunno .. I sure would like to see Canadians beat USA in a meaningful game one of these days. Maybe they have at some level, and I missed it. Can't they get lucky? They seem not to have got alot of breaks in the past.

Not really. We were muscling them off the ball and giving them very little space in the early parts of the game. Also, we were the better side in the first half.

2cd place in the tourney and a spot in the WC? Sounds like one hell of a great result to me! Yes it would have been nice to win it all but how many games did they play in how many days? I know the other teams did too but that is one thing that affected the quality of play. CONCACAF needs to have at least 3 days between games.

I thought we played very well in the first half and started to lose focus & concentration in the second and that lead to way too many turnovers. In the end we lost to a wicked 35-40 yard shot worthy of a pro adult player from the EPL. The other 2 US goals were just exhausted athletes making mental and physical errors.

In the end a great effort and great result by our U17 squad. Cheers to all.

There were some really impressive moments and some really frustrating moments. I guess that is what you should expect from kids. Overall though, I think there is a lot to build on. Aleman and Alderson are obviously quality. But I think there are a few others that showed signs of promise: Gasparotto, Hamilton, Stanese

The only difference between us and the States is depth. I think a few members of our starting 11 aren't up to this level. The same probably goes for the quality of our bench. That is why it will always be difficult for us to success at the youth levels especially against larger nations and 'football' nations. However, if we graduate a few youth players every cycle, that is all we will need for a strong national team moving forward.

First and foremost, congratulations to the boys for all their hard work in JAM - they put forth a very strong representation of Canadian soccer, well done!

That being said, I have mixed feelings about the final result.

We finished second to the US, but presumably the Mexican side would have given both the Americans and Canadians a very difficult time. This leads me to believe that we are likely the 3rd best team in CONCACAF at the U-17 level.

This seems promising, but I'm actually not all that surprised that we are outperforming the likes of Panama, Jamaica, Honduras, etc... at the youth level.

As has been mentioned, the difference in fitness between the two sides in the final proved to be a major factor, and I'm sure the coaching staff will address that in the prep for the WC. It was also unfortunate that the second American goal came directly form a mix-up between the linesman and the referee as to who should be taking the throw in. The Americans pounced with a long throw that caught our CB's out of position...and that was the game really.

There were some really impressive moments and some really frustrating moments. I guess that is what you should expect from kids. Overall though, I think there is a lot to build on. Aleman and Alderson are obviously quality. But I think there are a few others that showed signs of promise: Gasparotto, Hamilton, Stanese

Petrasso and Lapenna I thought showed promise as well.

...This seems promising, but I'm actually not all that surprised that we are outperforming the likes of Panama, Jamaica, Honduras, etc... at the youth level....

The problem has always been what happens in the 16 to 21 age range. The first chunk up to 18 or so looks to be in good shape now based on U16 and U18 academy teams. The missing piece of the puzzle is still what happens from 18 to 21. Hopefully MLS reserve teams help in that regard but having D2 teams associated with each MLS team (something 2 out of 3 are on record as wanting) may be the remaining piece of the puzzle that is required to reach the stage where third place in CONCACAF is within reach all the way through to the senior team.

Archived