Fraser Aird signs with Glasgow Rangers Academy

jpg75

what is a fact is that you get helluva more recognition if you play for Scotland than Canada in Europe. and Aird is looking further down the future.

both Scotland and Canada programs are in such a shambles of state...

At least we're doing something about it.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's not get too dramatic. That's obviously a situation where he wasn't good enough for Canada.

Well in an era (2001-02) where you could count the Canadians in MLS on your fingers, he was playing in the league as a 20-year-old (though admittedly not playing much). He was pacy and had some size. If we were using guys like Carl Fletcher and Mark Rodgers, I don't see why Mayard wouldn't have gotten a look at that stage when he was young.

If I was being dramatic, I would have said Gilbert Jean-Baptiste. :)

cheers,

matthew

Well in an era (2001-02) where you could count the Canadians in MLS on your fingers, he was playing in the league as a 20-year-old (though admittedly not playing much). He was pacy and had some size. If we were using guys like Carl Fletcher and Mark Rodgers, I don't see why Mayard wouldn't have gotten a look at that stage when he was young.

cheers,

matthew

Isn't that right now as well? But yeah, even less, then.

I'm a Rangers fan living in Canada for almost 20 years now. It has been exciting watching Aird as he has come into the first team this year and seeing him score the winning goal in the dying seconds of a game against Queen's Park in December was a highlight. I would be quite happy, as would probably many other Rangers fans, to see him opt for Canada, especially after the way the SFA has treated Rangers in the last year or so. Another young Canadian, who has done well with the Rangers reserves, is Luca Gasparotto, who has already played for the Canadian U-17's.

As another Rangers supporter from Ottawa you will find no love here. Most just jump to conclusions and have never seen a game but are knowledgeable about the club cause they read a few articles. From me though with six games left I hope see Gasparotto get a game. They can do no worse and they just re-signed him.

As another Rangers supporter from Ottawa you will find no love here. Most just jump to conclusions and have never seen a game but are knowledgeable about the club cause they read a few articles. From me though with six games left I hope see Gasparotto get a game. They can do no worse and they just re-signed him.

It would be nice if we could tie up the 3rd Division this Saturday and then see McCoist using a lot of the young reserves, who have played well this year (including Gasparotto), in the remaining year. The last few weeks have been horrible to watch, so I hope we can get a grip and get it over and done with soon.

• 2 weeks later...
@wcs53 - even if they win D3 apparently Rangers are still in D3 due to the re-working of the Scottish leagues next year. I haven't seen confirmation of this but that's how it was reported on Fox Soccer.

The situation with league reconstruction in Scotland is in flux and changes almost day to day. In which division Rangers will wind up next season is still very much in the air.

cheers,

matthew

Oh you beat me to it.

We could get super obscure and say Vladimir Edouard. There was some kid who got called to our u20 who opted to play for Jamaica's u20s, but I think he never made their team and dropped out of soccer. Aaron something. Dylan Hughes playing for Wales. More recently, Caolan Lavery for NIreland.

There was also talk back in that era of Russell Huggon, in the youth system at Hibs with Emilio Botiglieri, getting interest from Scotland's u20s but that never materialized. So Fraser isn't an outlier.

• 1 month later...
There is a story about Fraser Aird being chased by the CMNT in today's Scottish Sun:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4957172/Aird-chased-by-Mounties.html

I've never heard our national team referred to as "the Mounties", but I like it better than the nicknames being thrown around in that other thread, as well as other generic nicknames like Reds, Maple Leafs and Canucks.

I've never heard our national team referred to as "the Mounties", but I like it better than the nicknames being thrown around in that other thread, as well as other generic nicknames like Reds, Maple Leafs and Canucks.

+1. Really like "Mounties" as a nickname!

Some of the comments from the story say he has done really well, while another says he is still not close to the international level. I would still rather cap both him and Aleman at the Gold Cup now and play it safe. Of course if Arid is really really far off from being international quality he shouldn't take up a roster spot, but if two players are neck and neck in quality and/or potential, I would give the nod to the lad with dual nationality in order to "cover our ass".

Also....Mounties? Sick name.

Of course if Arid is really really far off from being international quality he shouldn't take up a roster spot, but if two players are neck and neck in quality and/or potential, I would give the nod to the lad with dual nationality in order to "cover our ass".

From the article, it sounds to me this call-up is just an introduction for Aird to the Canadian system. Doubt he'll stick around to be officially capped in the tournament even if Miller likes his ability. I'm coming around to the idea that a player should only be invited when ready to represent Canada. We haven't had much luck with the fence sitters so maybe we should just stop asking. If Fraser decides for himself he wants to play for us, he can make the call to the CSA.

The only reason I don't like Mounties as a nickname is that people in other countries actually believe our modern officers dress like that. Canada must be a real culture pit if the only thing people can dredge up when they think about us is beaver, moose, mounties, and igloos. I've rarely seen any of those in my actual canadian existence. Not saying we get rid of them as our icons, they DO represent us...but it'd be nice to have more than just that.

Archived