Fraser Aird signs with Glasgow Rangers Academy

jpg75

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny that a number of the comments on that CSN site are blaming Fleming and/or the CSA. Here's what i see:

Aird was training at the NTC in Vaughn last season before joining Rangers.

He was called up to a Canada camp for 95's.

He was looked over in favour of Omari Morris, Yassin Essa and Michael Petrasso for the U17 squad.

From where i'm standing this is a player that got a good look and was judged to not be as good as the other players we have. Ignore the fact that he signed with Rangers and why do we think he's better than any of those young men i mentioned? This could very well be a case of a player choosing Scotland because he's not good enough for Canada....

It's funny that a number of the comments on that CSN site are blaming Fleming and/or the CSA.

Especially since he wasn't selected to what was the most successful U17 team we've ever had, making an argument that the coach must be an idiot for not selecting him therefore it's his fault that a young teen is bolting to play for his Dad's favourite national team even more dubious.

It's funny that a number of the comments on that CSN site are blaming Fleming and/or the CSA. Here's what i see:

Aird was training at the NTC in Vaughn last season before joining Rangers.

He was called up to a Canada camp for 95's.

He was looked over in favour of Omari Morris, Yassin Essa and Michael Petrasso for the U17 squad.

From where i'm standing this is a player that got a good look and was judged to not be as good as the other players we have. Ignore the fact that he signed with Rangers and why do we think he's better than any of those young men i mentioned? This could very well be a case of a player choosing Scotland because he's not good enough for Canada....

Thanks for saving me the typing.

Just a general observation, but if these kids' moral characteristics are so weak that they can't take a single rejection, then these are guys I don't think will add very much when playing in Central America having little bags of pee tossed in their direction. No names mentioned, of course.

Speaking of Rangers someone posted at Ontario Soccer Talk that Luca Gasparotto has signed a 3 year contract with Rangers. I have not been able to find any confirmation.

This FFS.

Really? You can't take one rejection. Great, don't want you on my team.

U17 is a very tricky time to judge a player. Some players at this age are more physically mature so they are better players now, but some do have more potential in the future. In my opinion FIFA should do more to stop youth players from switching nations so easily because if nations are having to make decisions on who is playing for their national team at the u17 level, it is chaos.

U17 is a very tricky time to judge a player. Some players at this age are more physically mature so they are better players now, but some do have more potential in the future. In my opinion FIFA should do more to stop youth players from switching nations so easily because if nations are having to make decisions on who is playing for their national team at the u17 level, it is chaos.

Problem is most countries don't have anywhere near the problem with players playing for their country as we do. And we do because of the example set by the likes of Whoregreaves, Begovic and Vitoria.

Also, alot of players may never been be selected for the U17 national team because of the year they were born. If you dont turn seventeen on the year of the world cup you are one or more years behind in development. And one year, at that age, makes a big difference. A seventeen will be further along than a sixteen year old and a sixteen year will be no longer eligible in two years time when the next cycle comes along.

CSN is reporting that he has indeed opted to play for the Scots after not getting called up to our most recent U-17 call up.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?2129-Ay-the-boy-is-Canadian

I blame Mont Pete and his roving band of Towrads. They've coerced the Sponsons into coughing up cash to pay off players NOT to represent Canada. We have lost **********, Fernandes, JDG2, Begovic, Hoillet Jr. and now Aird. And I'm going to let you in on a secret: over the years Beckham, Zidane and Landon Donovan wanted to become Canadian but were told by Mont Pete that their services were not needed. OK, he may had done us a favour with Donovan, but you get what I'm saying. When will the madness end?!

^ That's not even close to all of them. We are losing an entire generation worth of players to other countries!

Players born in and after 1987 who have fled our system: Jonathan De Guzman, Asmir Begovic, Steven Vitoria, Jacob Lensky, Teal Bunbury, Ricardo Ferreira, Caolan Lavery, Cole Nagy, Quante Smith-Abbott-Hill, Shawn Lawson, Connor Magana-Pickering, Fraser Aird, Kianz Froese...

Young players who can realistically be stolen by other nations: Dane Roberts, Junior Hoilett, Reda Agourram, Kyle Porter, Ashtone Morgan, Mahir Hadziresic, Ricky Gomes, Oscar Cordon, Dino Gardiner, Keven Aleman, Paco Deckers, Gianni Patina (i'm only half joking on this one)...

IMHO, The 2000 world cup qualifying campaign was key moment in defining where we stand today as far as defections. I recall mentioning in this forum that that semi final elimination would factor heavily in the decision that OH would take in chosing between England, Wales or Canada. OH had not yet fully established himself at that time as pro or international but had we at least made it to the hex, that would have bought the CSA time to convince him that Canada was legitamate contender to play in the WC. If we were in a similar position to, say, Costa Rica, things might have been different. But elimination in the semi finals (especially to an unheralded sideblike T&T) just doesnt look good.

Instead, what happened was that we got eliminated in the semi final stages (unprecendented at that time) in a not too difficult group and could only manage to score one goal in six games so the optics werent good. We were eliminated at where most people regard as the "not critical" phase for the true contenders. Its hard to sell that to someone who has international aspirations. So the following year, when the WCQ was in full swing around the world, there were no games to be played for canada and sides like England and wales were in full wcq mode and hype.

Yea, i agree, OH opened the floodgates. On paper, the MNT squad was better than the previous in each of the follwing WCQ cycles. But going to into 2014 WCQ, at least we got a very favourable draw that could help immensely in getting to the hex because for the first time in ten years, i cant say that we have better team on paper than we had previously. And, the reason for that is entirely due to the defections or possible defections.

He's young I'm not going to make any guesses as to where he'll end up going.

As a young player his talent is hard to judge and its still very liekly he'll end up as a nobody.

As well as Canada I follow my roots (Scotland/Croatia) very closely. Scotland is the European team that always has potential but never quite makes it. In saying that, I still believe they are a quailty side and this kid would have to be rather talented to break the A team.

I'd rather see him in a red jersey and I like to think he'd stick with his place of birth.

I hope he doesn't end up another Bunbury, called up once to be stolen from Canada, most likely not called up again.

• 5 months later...
Canada cut him...

and so did Rangers when he first went over for a trial. But did he give up on wanting to play for Rangers? No he came back to Canada to improve himself so that if he got a second opportunity, he would be able to do a better job. I don't see why he couldn't do the same for Canada. Not everyone can be selected all of the time and in this situation he has shown when faced with adversity, he rather find an easier route. Clearly he lacks character.

Also it's not like the team was crap and filled with scrubs. Who would you have taken off to team to give his spot to?

I am not in a position where I get to see our youth teams, other then U20 sometimes so I can't say I would replace him with anyone because I never saw the team play. I don't agree with him playing for Scotland but it does give him an opportunity to play in some more competitive games and develop more as a player. His choice at the time was to not play internationally or to play against top euro youth teams.

• 7 months later...

Well Fraser has now made his first two Rangers first team appearances at 17

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=239295

The hype is beginning

Watch that whole video if you have time and make your judgment on whether he'll come back. One coach cutting a kid at U17 when he was only a 95 anyway is a stupid reason to switch allegiance, but obviously he can't say anything either to keep his Scotland options open. My feeling from that video (though this was before he made his first team debut) is that he wants another shot with Canada.

Call him? I mean we called Piette and he's getting time at least

The hype is beginning

Watch that whole video if you have time and make your judgment on whether he'll come back. One coach cutting a kid at U17 when he was only a 95 anyway is a stupid reason to switch allegiance, but obviously he can't say anything either to keep his Scotland options open. My feeling from that video (though this was before he made his first team debut) is that he wants another shot with Canada.

Call a 17 year old kid with 2 appearances in the scottish third division who wants to play for another country? Sold!

edit: I'm not sure if you mean senior team or youth team, which would be a lot less ridiculous

Call a 17 year old kid with 2 appearances in the scottish third division who wants to play for another country? Sold!

edit: I'm not sure if you mean senior team or youth team, which would be a lot less ridiculous

The start these fans are referring to was a Scottish League Cup match against Motherwell, a team that finished 3rd in the SPL last season. And as you can see from the comments many of those supporters now want him in their XI. Don't think that getting into Rangers is like getting into any Scottish 3rd tier side or that training and playing for them is like playing for a 3rd division team.

The hype is beginning

Gotta love that interviewer. He is like Mr. Positive to the point of being irritating at times. However, at the end when Aird gives the stock Jr. Hoilett answer to the big question he nails him like an embittered Voyageur yet all the while still sounding positive while doing so. LOL

Archived