Fraser Aird signs with Glasgow Rangers Academy

jpg75

The only reason I don't like Mounties as a nickname is that people in other countries actually believe our modern officers dress like that. Canada must be a real culture pit if the only thing people can dredge up when they think about us is beaver, moose, mounties, and igloos. I've rarely seen any of those in my actual canadian existence. Not saying we get rid of them as our icons, they DO represent us...but it'd be nice to have more than just that.

If you look at nicknames, Most of them playoff stereotypes, its a fun way to embrace some of them. The Reggae Boys, The US supporters group called "The Outlaws"...personally I think we should go further. I think we should go the Bob and Doug McKenzie Route and be called the Soccer Hosers.

As for Aird, obviously really hope he plays for us. Up until this article I thought it was a done deal, but I get the impression theres the possibility he could turn down the invitation. Im cautiously optimistic though.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only reason I don't like Mounties as a nickname is that people in other countries actually believe our modern officers dress like that. Canada must be a real culture pit if the only thing people can dredge up when they think about us is beaver, moose, mounties, and igloos. I've rarely seen any of those in my actual canadian existence. Not saying we get rid of them as our icons, they DO represent us...but it'd be nice to have more than just that.

That's what makes it great.. playing off a stereotype like Tottenham with the Yids label. As a TFC fan I seriously think we should go on away trips as a traveling circus it would be classic.

My favorite quote of the article was "My view is that once they've decided to play for someone else we should wash our hands of them", couldn't agree more.

Maybe Colin Miller is trying to start a Miller Doctrine which consists of: s**t or get off the can. Put undecided players to the test chose us or we wash our hands of you. No more of this "why won't they chose me, I can change, if I change will you pick me?" for god's sake sometimes we sound like lovesick teenage girls.

If Aird picks Canada great, welcome to the team, we'll cheer for you - if not have a damn good reason or we should wash our hands of you.

Canada must be a real culture pit if the only thing people can dredge up when they think about us is beaver, moose, mounties, and igloos. I've rarely seen any of those in my actual canadian existence. Not saying we get rid of them as our icons, they DO represent us...but it'd be nice to have more than just that.

Did you see the closing ceremonies for the Vancouver Olympics? It was all giant inflatable Moose, Beaver and singing Mounties (and incidentally it was funny and great) I don't remember if there were any igloos, but if this is the image we send out to hundreds of millions of viewers we can't really complain if that is what they pick up on.

Did you see the closing ceremonies for the Vancouver Olympics? It was all giant inflatable Moose, Beaver and singing Mounties (and incidentally it was funny and great) I don't remember if there were any igloos, but if this is the image we send out to hundreds of millions of viewers we can't really complain if that is what they pick up on.

lol believe it or not, that was the mental image I had too when I was complaining. I hate that it's the image that we keep sending out, INCLUDING at those olympics. I didn't like the ceremonies at the olympics.

^

Really?

Don't watch ANY olympics (well, very nearly none) but did watch the closing ceremonies in Vancouver and I thought they were great. But maybe I took something different away from them, and that was our odvious ability to laugh at ourselves and not take trivial things too seriously. Not a bad thing to project out into the world and oh-so typically Canadian.

Mounties? NO THANK YOU.

Guest Brethers

I have a picture of me sitting in front of a giant stuffed moose teddy who is dressed as a Mountie. You forgot lumberjacks and curlers!

^

Really?

Don't watch ANY olympics (well, very nearly none) but did watch the closing ceremonies in Vancouver and I thought they were great. But maybe I took something different away from them, and that was our odvious ability to laugh at ourselves and not take trivial things too seriously. Not a bad thing to project out into the world and oh-so typically Canadian.

Mounties? NO THANK YOU.

Agreed with this. Thought the ceremonies were pretty slapstick.

Unfortunately for those wishing to rebrand the team, I'm not sure you can force the issue. It will happen organically or it won't happen at all. I think it will be the 'Reds' for the foreseeable future. Although I thought the 'Maple Leafs' was supposed to be the nickname. Makes sense ... work hard all season until the end when you turn all red and go plummeting to the ground ... okay ... hence the rebranding.

My favorite quote of the article was "My view is that once they've decided to play for someone else we should wash our hands of them", couldn't agree more.

Maybe Colin Miller is trying to start a Miller Doctrine which consists of: s**t or get off the can. Put undecided players to the test chose us or we wash our hands of you. No more of this "why won't they chose me, I can change, if I change will you pick me?" for god's sake sometimes we sound like lovesick teenage girls.

If Aird picks Canada great, welcome to the team, we'll cheer for you - if not have a damn good reason or we should wash our hands of you.

It's an interesting idea.

Admittedly, the players have the power but if we adopted a "3 calls to be capped or you are out" policy or something of the sort, it might start forcing players to make decisions earlier and stop fence sitting. They are getting value by using Canada as an option, rather than a desired choice, so maybe this is the way to put an end to that all while publicly "taking the game to them" so to speak as it comes to national team commitments.

These guys get off too easy making waffling press quotes while too few guys like Totera and seixeiro are around to make a mockery of what they are trying to do. Maybe the extra media attention through nat-calls turned down will sham some people into being more decisive.

The problem with "3 calls or you are out" is that is dependent on the coach. We could fire the manager who said that and if the player is still available the next manager may see value in calling that player and demand the CSA allow him to. (and there is nothing CSA can do to stop a coach in an interview saying so)

• 2 weeks later...
lol believe it or not, that was the mental image I had too when I was complaining. I hate that it's the image that we keep sending out, INCLUDING at those olympics. I didn't like the ceremonies at the olympics.

Agree fully. Most of Canadian pop. is urban, and, I can't recall the last time I saw a beaver, or a Mountie for that matter. I felt better represented by the London 2012 opening ceremony - that's how much a failure the Vancouver ceremonies were.

Agree fully. Most of Canadian pop. is urban, and, I can't recall the last time I saw a beaver, or a Mountie for that matter. I felt better represented by the London 2012 opening ceremony - that's how much a failure the Vancouver ceremonies were.

:)

The RCMP handles provincial policing in eight of ten provinces; beavers are not unheard of in even semi-urban areas in parts of the country where they weren't largely hunted out (we saw a fair number of them in my suburb of Edmonton when I was growing up, for example). Ontario and Quebec are not the country.

In a country this size, no single national symbol will ever represent the whole thing. I never saw a maple leaf until I was a teenager, for example. So don't scoff because "oh, we don't have those in Toronto."

The RCMP handles provincial policing in eight of ten provinces; beavers are not unheard of in even semi-urban areas in parts of the country where they weren't largely hunted out (we saw a fair number of them in my suburb of Edmonton when I was growing up, for example). Ontario and Quebec are not the country.

In a country this size, no single national symbol will ever represent the whole thing. I never saw a maple leaf until I was a teenager, for example. So don't scoff because "oh, we don't have those in Toronto."

RCMP may stand for mountie, but when we say "mountie" we mean the stereotypical image of the red coat and beige hat. Which do not police 8/10 provinces, unless it's a parade. That's what is meant when we say "how is THAT the image we send out to represent us".

Of course this will always be a mixed issue, some will like it some won't. It's just that with all the crap you already hear about us in american mainstream television, with them making jokes and saying that's all we are about...it sucks that we reinforce it at our own Olympic ceremonies.

RCMP may stand for mountie, but when we say "mountie" we mean the stereotypical image of the red coat and beige hat. Which do not police 8/10 provinces, unless it's a parade. That's what is meant when we say "how is THAT the image we send out to represent us".

Of course this will always be a mixed issue, some will like it some won't. It's just that with all the crap you already hear about us in american mainstream television, with them making jokes and saying that's all we are about...it sucks that we reinforce it at our own Olympic ceremonies.

Agree to disagree. Go the mounties!

Archived