Fraser Aird signs with Glasgow Rangers Academy

jpg75

The start these fans are referring to was a Scottish League Cup match against Motherwell, a team that finished 3rd in the SPL last season. And as you can see from the comments many of those supporters now want him in their XI. Don't think that getting into Rangers is like getting into any Scottish 3rd tier side or that training and playing for them is like playing for a 3rd division team.

He is playing in Scotland's 4th tier, not their 3rd tier.

How serious do you think Motherwell is taking an early round of the League Cup?\

And when exactly are we suppose to cap him? During our next two CRUCIAL World Cup Qualifiers? No way! Let's not make the same mistake we made with Jamie Peters.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aird will not get capped for Scotland until Rangers finds their way back to the SPL (or perhaps the First Division). The manager, Craig Levein, has more or less said as much because he doesn't think playing in SFL 3 gives you the week in, week out competition you need when you are playing int'l football.

I think Aird is an interesting prospect but I don't think we should be calling him in right away. Sorry, I'm not a believer of capping someone for potential.

I will say this for the kid, he's only 17! He's playing for one of the bigger clubs in Europe (as a Hearts supporter, that really hurt typing out). Ok, he's in the 4th tier right now but if that CONTINUES over the next year or two, we have to be open minded about checking on his interest in playing for Canada. We aren't good enough to not explore that avenue.

He really should be called up to the U20 squad. If he doesn't want to participate then fuk'em.

See, one of the reasons I suggested calling him was to get him with our U20s, he would be eligible for 2013 and 2015. There is no way he plays for our U20s unless he gets a senior cap IMO... switching back to us would be permanent for him at the youth level as it would be a 2nd switch.

You know what, I'm not even sure he'd make our U20 squad, let alone be worthy of a senior cap. Consider his competition:

M- Bryce Alderson | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

M- Samuel Piette | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf

M- Dylan Carreiro | ENG / Queens Park Rangers

M- Michael Petrasso | ENG / Queens Park Rangers

M- Sergio Camargo | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

M- Oscar Cordon | CAN / Toronto FC

M- Mauro Eustáquio | POR / Uniao de Leiria

M- Jorgo Nika | GER / Eintracht Braunschweig

M- Alessandro Riggi | ESP / Celta de Vigo

CM- Jonathan Lao | GER / FC Rot-Weiß Erfurt

M- Keven Aleman | ESP / Real Valladolid

M- Shadrack Mmunga | FRA / FC Metz

M/F- Ben Fisk | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

Both Carreiro and Petrasso are younger than him as well.

Yes, he got some first team minutes with Rangers, but a little context is needed: they've graduated 5 youth players in the last two months. Add that to the six they graduated last year (including another 17 year old) and there's obviously a youth movement going on at Rangers.

Our current U20 team needs to play together and we need to stop trying out new guys. If we want to invite him, go ahead but he better not expect to make the team. And our program isn't in dire straits if he isn't involved.

He really should be called up to the U20 squad. If he doesn't want to participate then fuk'em.

Exactly. These guys like Hoilett, Aird, de Guzman, they're always on their VERY LAST CHANCE and if they don't participate this time then we should forget about them until the next opportunity when they will be on their VERY LAST CHANCE.

Now THAT'S an argument for a different thread!

And Aird will never be good enough to play for Scotland OR Canada. Much ado about nothing lol

Mourinho is that you? What an eye for talent you must have to have seen a 17 year old play zero times and make that assumption.

Mourinho is that you? What an eye for talent you must have to have seen a 17 year old play zero times and make that assumption.

+1. Yeah, uh, I think sometimes we might forget that we aren't Spain/Holland/Germany/Italy/Brazil. How in the heck could we rule Aird out now as not being good enough for us?!

I didn't say rule it out. But then we may as well, right? I'm going to step out of this heated argument if you guys let me. I don't really care enough about a kid I personally don't think of as talented enough to play for Canada, and a guy who, from what I've seen in this thread, doesn't consider himself Canadian anyways. If his skill level doesn't rule him out, that certaintly would.

+1

Just cause he got a bit of game action, that doesn't mean he's even good enough for our U20 team, let alone the senior team.

In other words, +1 to this.

Why are we worried about Scotsmen? For ****'s sake let's stop obsessing about people who don't give a **** about us.

And an emphatic +1 to this.

I didn't say rule it out. But then we may as well, right? I'm going to step out of this heated argument if you guys let me. I don't really care enough about a kid I personally don't think of as talented enough to play for Canada, and a guy who, from what I've seen in this thread, doesn't consider himself Canadian anyways. If his skill level doesn't rule him out, that certaintly would.

The bottom line is you're speaking about a player you've never seen play and now you're backing out of the argument. He's 17 FFS and when did he ever say he didn't consider himself Canadian? His dad credited all the people in Canada for his success after his debut.

+1. Yeah, uh, I think sometimes we might forget that we aren't Spain/Holland/Germany/Italy/Brazil. How in the heck could we rule Aird out now as not being good enough for us?!

Yeah, but we also aren't St. Lucia. We can't always do backflips whenever someone with a little bit of talent intimates that they might consider playing for us. We have a pretty damn good squad with the kids that don't need to be convinced to play for us.

The bottom line is you're speaking about a player you've never seen play and now you're backing out of the argument. He's 17 FFS and when did he ever say he didn't consider himself Canadian? His dad credited all the people in Canada for his success after his debut.

Not my fault...he hasn't played at a high enough level for me to really notice or try, although I do diligently try to follow Canadian players and see as many players as I can, I haven't had the honor of seeing Aird. I will agree, to be fair, to keep an open mind, given what you say about his dad, but I will say that I seriously seriously doubt he will ever suit up for Canada on any level.

Archived