Fraser Aird signs with Glasgow Rangers Academy

jpg75

The standard of play he's at is atrocious for the most part in the third div and away to teams like Forres Mechanics this week but the game against Motherwell was SPL quality... if any other 17 year old had broken through with a professional first team we'd be discussing him and I think Aird deserves consideration from the program at some level now.

Also thought he was firmly declared for Scotland so I'm pleased to hear he'd consider a Canadian callup. Between him and Piette along with all the academy kids coming up there's great promise in that age group.

I think Canada's attitude that we only call up players to our subs bench who earn it and don't bring young players into camp for a cap tie or to feel them out is ridiculous when you've got nations like England calling up that Jamaican/English kid a few weeks back. Time to get with the times... it's not going to hurt the program to bring up a young player on the subs bench who might not be playing at the same level as some first team pro in norway or something but has twice the promise.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The standard of play he's at is atrocious for the most part in the third div and away to teams like Forres Mechanics this week but the game against Motherwell was SPL quality... if any other 17 year old had broken through with a professional first team we'd be discussing him and I think Aird deserves consideration from the program at some level now.

Also thought he was firmly declared for Scotland so I'm pleased to hear he'd consider a Canadian callup. Between him and Piette along with all the academy kids coming up there's great promise in that age group.

I think Canada's attitude that we only call up players to our subs bench who earn it and don't bring young players into camp for a cap tie or to feel them out is ridiculous when you've got nations like England calling up that Jamaican/English kid a few weeks back. Time to get with the times... it's not going to hurt the program to bring up a young player on the subs bench who might not be playing at the same level as some first team pro in norway or something but has twice the promise.

Over the last couple years SH has normally called 1 or 2 young/inexperienced guys to every camp. Piette, Attakora, Dichiara, Uccello, Stinson, etc...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
He said recently the door wasn't closed on Canada.

I think you're confusing him with Steve Vitoria. Or was it Jonathan De Guzman? Wait, no, I'm pretty sure it was Hoilett. Whoops, right league wrong player, it was Begovic. No, Daniel Fernandes. ...Or was it Lensky? Probably one of Teal Bunbury, Ricardo Ferreira, Owen **********...

I think you're confusing him with Steve Vitoria. Or was it Jonathan De Guzman? Wait, no, I'm pretty sure it was Hoilett. Whoops, right league wrong player, it was Begovic. No, Daniel Fernandes. ...Or was it Lensky? Probably one of Teal Bunbury, Ricardo Ferreira, Owen **********...

Nice post, full of insight, but since he did say that, here it is...................

From this article.... http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/1262194--scarborough-teen-debuts-with-glasgow-rangers

Aird, who played a handful of matches for Scotland’s U17 side but insists he’s still not closed the door on suiting up for Canada at the senior level, continued training with Rangers’ first team this week. He vows to enjoy his time there but is well aware there are no guarantees he’ll play again.

Nice post, full of insight, but since he did say that, here it is...................

From this article.... http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/1262194--scarborough-teen-debuts-with-glasgow-rangers

Aird, who played a handful of matches for Scotland’s U17 side but insists he’s still not closed the door on suiting up for Canada at the senior level, continued training with Rangers’ first team this week. He vows to enjoy his time there but is well aware there are no guarantees he’ll play again.

Sorry, I'm just a little jaded.

Hopefully he decides to represent the Maple Leaf!

He is a kid in a position where by the time he is 21 he may have played 140 first team games and could be starting on the wing in Champions League games. Alternately the opposite can happen. I am excited by the fact that there are two kids on the team i watch week in week out.

• 2 months later...

Ibrox kid Fraser Aird vows to help write a bright future with Rangers after signing five-year deal

Daily Record 18 Feb 2013

THE 18-year-old who has switched from Murray Park hopeful to first-team contributor vows to keep his head down and continue working hard as Rangers aim to move-up through the divisions.

FRASER AIRD admits he’s ready to help write a bright future with Rangers after putting his name to a five-year plan that includes a return to the Champions League.

The 18-year-old was handed a long-term deal by Ally McCoist last week as the Light Blues continue to secure the best young talent at the club and the speedy winger is already in a hurry to get Rangers back to the big time.

Facing up to Europe’s elite may have seemed a distant ambition as Aird made his 13th appearance as a late sub in Saturday’s dismantling of Clyde at Broadwood but the youngster is in little doubt where his career path will lead.

The teenager has switched from Murray Park hopeful to first-team contributor with impressive ease and is only interested in going from strength to strength.

He said: “Hopefully we’ll win the next couple of leagues, challenge for the SPL title and get back into Europe. To be part of that would be a big achievement in my career. Setbacks are part of football. That’s just what we have to overcome.

“We’ve got to go there and prove we can do it. The players are convinced we’re on the right track and we have the personnel to do well. We just have to deal with everything as it comes.

“I’m delighted at the gaffer giving me a new deal that secures me for another five years at the club. I just need to get my head down, pull my socks up and keep working hard and hopefully get a few more chances.”

Aird’s arrival in the Gers first team along with the likes of Barrie McKay and Lewis Macleod has been one of the huge positives for a side stretching into the distance in the Third Division.

But the Toronto-born kid is delighted McCoist has asked him to be part of what he believes will be a trip into the Light Blue fantastic of trophy-laden success as they work up through the divisions.

Aird said: “The manager just said he wanted to tie down the younger players and make a commitment to us.

“It shows a lot of faith in us and hopefully we’re in the plans for the next few years as Rangers work their way back to where they’re supposed to be.

“I’m a big Rangers fan so I’m delighted to be part of that journey.

“We’ll be taking every step with the club. I’ve been with Rangers for two years and probably seen things at their worst. I’m delighted that I can help the club get back to the top.”

The self-confessed Rangers fanatic has taken an unusual route to his boyhood heroes as his parents emigrated to Canada in 1987.

His dad Bill is desperate for his son to pledge his loyalty to Scotland and Aird was part of Ricky Sbragia’s training camp last week that gave the biggest sign yet his old man will get his wish.

But Aird is keeping his cards close to his chest on his international future.

He said: “I’m keeping my options open. I was away with Scotland’s Under-18s on a training camp and I enjoyed working with Ricky.

“We’ll see what happens down the road. Everyone in my family is from Scotland so you could say I’m Scottish. At the end of the day it’s my decision who I play for.

“Canada have invited me to the last couple of squads but it’s a long way to go. Speaking to the gaffer at Rangers, he doesn’t want me going away for that long. I’ve just got to see what happens.”

Former Rangers defender Colin Miller has taken interim charge of the Canadian national side and has been trying to persuade Aird to commit to the country of his birth.

But the youngster insists he’s not ready to get involved in a tug of war over which nation he opts for and it may well come down to who offers him a cap first.

He said: “Colin is in touch with the gaffer as they were friends when he was over in Scotland.

“Ricky hasn’t put any pressure on me and said it’s my decision.

“If I keep playing in the first team at Ibrox then hopefully one of the countries will make a move but for now I’m happy to leave it. My dad says it’s up to me too but he’d probably like me to play for Scotland while my mum wants me to play for Canada.

“We’ll see what happens."

Damn that's depressing. Here's hoping he listens to his mom more than his dad.

So Canada has invited him to some squads but it's going to come down to who caps him first? Sounds a lot like Bunbury

Well he is not going to get capped by the senior Scotland team playing for Rangers. At least not until they get back to the SPL.

Have we ever lost a player to a nation as bad as Scotland? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Well he is not going to get capped by the senior Scotland team playing for Rangers. At least not until they get back to the SPL.

Have we ever lost a player to a nation as bad as Scotland? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caolan_Lavery_(footballer)

Caolan Lavery played for the Canadian U17 team, but now he has played for Northern Ireland U21. However, he hasn't had the best of club careers as of yet.

Scotland have the dubious distinction of being the very first UEFA club (mathematically) eliminated from the World Cup this year. Grats to them? They have NOT been doing well the last few years.

what is a fact is that you get helluva more recognition if you play for Scotland than Canada in Europe. and Aird is looking further down the future.

both Scotland and Canada programs are in such a shambles of state...

(shrugs) Wasn't insinuating otherwise. But their recent performance will be a factor to anyone considering which nation to play for. As would Canada's recent performance.

Somehow...I don't expect Aird to be a holdout though. If you want my honest opinion, I think he'll get a Scotland senior callup before he is 21 and will accept it. He plays in Scotland, he probably feels more Scottish than Canadian...he said he isn't ruling Canada out, but I think his heart is with Scotland. I don't hate him for it.

I'm a Rangers fan living in Canada for almost 20 years now. It has been exciting watching Aird as he has come into the first team this year and seeing him score the winning goal in the dying seconds of a game against Queen's Park in December was a highlight. I would be quite happy, as would probably many other Rangers fans, to see him opt for Canada, especially after the way the SFA has treated Rangers in the last year or so. Another young Canadian, who has done well with the Rangers reserves, is Luca Gasparotto, who has already played for the Canadian U-17's.

(shrugs) Wasn't insinuating otherwise. But their recent performance will be a factor to anyone considering which nation to play for. As would Canada's recent performance.

Somehow...I don't expect Aird to be a holdout though. If you want my honest opinion, I think he'll get a Scotland senior callup before he is 21 and will accept it. He plays in Scotland, he probably feels more Scottish than Canadian...he said he isn't ruling Canada out, but I think his heart is with Scotland. I don't hate him for it.

Scotland is pretty bad these days but if they pick a young player from a soon to be third-tier club, then I'll know that this will be the worst Scottish national side ever.

Scotland is pretty bad these days but if they pick a young player from a soon to be third-tier club, then I'll know that this will be the worst Scottish national side ever.

to be fair Rangers isn't your typical 3rd division club... and Rangers academy still get the cream of the crop of youth, with Celtic, no?

Archived