David (Junior) Hoilett will he be with our National Team or Jamaica?

Ekchuah

So what are the chances that Junior Hoilett will play with the Canadian National team (zero to none?) Maybe we should start a "love letter" campaign or petition, to ask, no to beg him, to please, grace our unworthy country with his esteemed presence. He'll probably betray us and go to Jamaica.

He bagged his first goal last weekend for his team (Blackburn against West Brom)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/nigelreed/2011/01/canadian-women-must-not-dwell-on-defeat.html

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, it'd be great if he accepted the call up.

People are being negative right now but he has given soft verbal to the Canadian Nats (a trend that has been seen with both people who have chosen for and against Canada - although usually Canucks choose against after giving soft verbal).

Regardless, we have no control. Don't fret. He'd be a fantastic addition to the National Squad, particularly in the forward right position.

But we have no control, the CSA have made every effort to get Hoilett on board, and Hart continues to call him up for matches.

The ball is in Hoilett's court. He's either Canadian or he's not. It's his choice.

So stop fretting.

Signs are positive as of late but who knows. I can't see him choosing Jamaica over us tbh why would he? His brother plays for us and Jamaica would be a step down imo, maybe not at the present moment but the potential for our program is a lot more than Jamaicas. I can't see Jamaica qualifying to a World Cup before us, but who knows. He's either:

a) really focused on his club career

B) holding out for england

c) all of the above

http://www.blackburn.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=201126

Heres the article where his father states he's on the brink of choosing us

Would love to have him on board he would be a huge boost to the program but honestly if you don't want to play for this country then as Johnson said "we have more than enough players who do". It takes more than a passport to be a Canadian we'll see if Junior becomes a hero or a zero.

Loved the interview Hart had with Dobson over Hoilett on their website, especially the part when Hart said he's not optimistic. Call it sarcasm or reality or simply not counting eggs before they hatch, after what's happened with prospects in the past switching over I don't blame him, it must get frustrating after awhile being rejected, just like the date for the prom.

I think it could definitely go either way at this point.

I'm just hoping that with the BBC calling him "Canadian David Hoilett" pretty much every time they mention him, he'll be convinced that he is, in fact, Canadian.

Jamacia are in the same boat as us, and arguably in a worse position since we are talking reform while their FA remains status quo.

I think the real worry is him playing for England. I would have said that was an impossibility at the beginning of the season, but as he continues to impress and gain publicity, he could also win a transfer to a better club, as Blackburn look set to spend with new ownership. Or, he could remain with Blackburn as they spend their way up the table in the future. They could even win a Europa league spot this season, they are 7th afterall. So if he is doing well next season as a 21 year old playing Europa League football, I can see Fabio calling him up as he builds depth in youth.

Jamacia are in the same boat as us, and arguably in a worse position since we are talking reform while their FA remains status quo.

I think the real worry is him playing for England. I would have said that was an impossibility at the beginning of the season, but as he continues to impress and gain publicity, he could also win a transfer to a better club, as Blackburn look set to spend with new ownership. Or, he could remain with Blackburn as they spend their way up the table in the future. They could even win a Europa league spot this season, they are 7th afterall. So if he is doing well next season as a 21 year old playing Europa League football, I can see Fabio calling him up as he builds depth in youth.

Certainly he's not yet in a position citizenship wise to play for England?

That being queried I have to admit, this is my worry too. He seems to be holding out for England and will give it time to play out. His comments about representing Canada hint at someone not wanting to alienate his second choice. I hope this analysis is way off the mark though.

^Would this not require something like 5 years of uninterrupted residence? So at the earliest he would be eligible in like 3 years, when he will be almost 24, not particularly young anymore, and will have missed WCQ/WC 2014. This would mean, if he made the England squad, WC 2018 (when he would be 28) would be his first chance at a World Cup (confederation championships aside).

Also, he is in no way English. Honestly, I see him suiting up for jamaica (*shudder*) before england. Just don't see the latter ever happening.

Junior's Canadian.

^^ Agreed.

I can't see England as a possibility. By the time he was eligible he'd be too old.

Well that's good news. I'm starting to honestly believe that he really is that dedicated to his club career. Especially when he's sat on the bench for so long. For Hoilett to break in, you have to think that he doesn't want to make the trip because of playing time issues and solidifying his spot in the Starting XI. Success can be fleeting if you're pulled out of the lineup too soon.

He already said no to Greece invite (as confirmed during Full-Time radio show interview) and un-decided on potential call-up for the Gold Cup. Hart's been doing a good job of keeping in touch with him by texting / emailing on his progress but honestly, he is a tough one to figure. Although last year, his dad did state that he's been encouraged by the improvements that CSA has been making on the number of matches played and governing structure.

^Would this not require something like 5 years of uninterrupted residence? So at the earliest he would be eligible in like 3 years, when he will be almost 24, not particularly young anymore, and will have missed WCQ/WC 2014. This would mean, if he made the England squad, WC 2018 (when he would be 28) would be his first chance at a World Cup (confederation championships aside).

Also, he is in no way English. Honestly, I see him suiting up for jamaica (*shudder*) before england. Just don't see the latter ever happening.

Junior's Canadian.

Good point, I wasn't sure of the requirements and as I posted in the other thread, I thought he was just waiting for an England call up! If in fact his options are Canada or Jamaica, it would be kind of insulting if he chooses the latter! We can use all the quality players as possible on our team but we need guys that truly want to be here! I'm more concerned about getting our current group together for more matches than any player who might decide one day he wants to play for his country!

Junior's Canadian.

I definatly disagree.

Firstly, I don't buy the arguement that he wouldn't consider England on the basis that he won't get his first chance at a world cup until 2018. The alternative of playing for Canada or Jamacia actually gives him less of a chance to play in the World Cup for 2018. Jamacia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, T&T, and Canada all have an equal chance at that 1.5 spot and there is absoutley no gaurentee that we will qualify. England on the other hand almost always qualify, and if he progesses as a player, you can argue he has a better chance making the England squad at 28 and playing in the World Cup.

Secondly, This isn't a Jamacia vs Canada decision, otherwise he would not hold out this long. What would he be holding out for, solidifying his spot at Rovers? C'mon now, he is already part of there squad, I don't buy that excuse.

I feel like people (not nessacarily you Bertuzzi44) think he has NO chance of England because they put England on a pedistal. If I was 20 years old, who was regarded as a key youth player moving forward, getting minutes on a mid-table EPL team, and scoring goals like last weekend, I wouldn't feel like I had no chance (and neither would my agent surely).

If he's really considering England, the only way I see him changing his mind and considering Canada is if the program gets stronger by the time he obtains his English nationality (let's hope our 4 clubs academies can create good quality players and if possible, a D2 Canadian league). I don't believe in love letters or the coach being in touch with the players. Let's be honest here, the issue is not a lack of love of/from the country or from the fans/people in the program, it's because players don't have faith in the program.

I definatly disagree.

Firstly, I don't buy the arguement that he wouldn't consider England on the basis that he won't get his first chance at a world cup until 2018. The alternative of playing for Canada or Jamacia actually gives him less of a chance to play in the World Cup for 2018. Jamacia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, T&T, and Canada all have an equal chance at that 1.5 spot and there is absoutley no gaurentee that we will qualify. England on the other hand almost always qualify, and if he progesses as a player, you can argue he has a better chance making the England squad at 28 and playing in the World Cup.

Secondly, This isn't a Jamacia vs Canada decision, otherwise he would not hold out this long. What would he be holding out for, solidifying his spot at Rovers? C'mon now, he is already part of there squad, I don't buy that excuse.

I feel like people (not nessacarily you Bertuzzi44) think he has NO chance of England because they put England on a pedistal. If I was 20 years old, who was regarded as a key youth player moving forward, getting minutes on a mid-table EPL team, and scoring goals like last weekend, I wouldn't feel like I had no chance (and neither would my agent surely).

I agree with this. I've always believe that he was waiting to see if he could be, at some point, being in England plans. I doubt he'll wait until 2018 WCQ but I think we could still be waiting 2-3 years before he'll choose a NT to play for.

While I'm inclined to leave him alone and let him concentrate on his club career, he should realize the depth of the England squad and his chances of really riding the pine, let alone seeing the pitch.

Part of me really thinks we should unleash Borjan to kick some sense into him. ;-)

Certainly he's not yet in a position citizenship wise to play for England?

That being queried I have to admit, this is my worry too. He seems to be holding out for England and will give it time to play out. His comments about representing Canada hint at someone not wanting to alienate his second choice. I hope this analysis is way off the mark though.

+ 100.

I think it's pretty clear that this is a combination of two things. He's focusing on his club career and he's holding out for England. He's just recently (last half season) began to get regular minutes. This in turn could lead to a spot on the England squad. He's been there since he was 13 so I imagine the situation is very similar to JDG2s. I don't think Jamaica is in the mix because he wasn't born and didn't live there. His connection is through his parents and considering his father has been more vocal about him playing for Canada I think it's unlikely he plays for Jamaica. I believe his second choice is Canada and he's waiting for everything else to fall into place.

He should be at the GC. It's outside of his club season and if he intends on playing during Canada's WQC I imagine he's have to partake in a couple games prior. So I hope he shows for the GC this summer but if he doesn't I will assume he's chosen not to play for Canada.

+ 100.

I think it's pretty clear that this is a combination of two things. He's focusing on his club career and he's holding out for England. He's just recently (last half season) began to get regular minutes. This in turn could lead to a spot on the England squad. He's been there since he was 13 so I imagine the situation is very similar to JDG2s. I don't think Jamaica is in the mix because he wasn't born and didn't live there. His connection is through his parents and considering his father has been more vocal about him playing for Canada I think it's unlikely he plays for Jamaica. I believe his second choice is Canada and he's waiting for everything else to fall into place.

He should be at the GC. It's outside of his club season and if he intends on playing during Canada's WQC I imagine he's have to partake in a couple games prior. So I hope he shows for the GC this summer but if he doesn't I will assume he's chosen not to play for Canada.

Yep, this is probably spot on.

Probably why Hart isn't optimistic, because he may know that Hoilett won't be playing for Canada throughout the next 2 GC's and WQC 2014. I imagine that's what Hoilett is doing, and if England is still not after him at that point, he'll come to Canada for the 2014-2018 run.

Personally, if this theory is on the right track, I don't even want him......because he truly doesn't want us. We don't need to contribute to us (CMNT) being the 2nd choice whore at the party if they strike out with the dime.

Again, if this theory is the truth, I'd prefer Hart to call him up in the next 3 months, say "look here Junior, club season is ending, you did great, you did what you said you wanted to do - solidfy your spot at the club level. Now it's international time, either you're in NOW, or the door is CLOSED."

I'd be interested to see if he's willing to roll the dice on a future with England.

Canada should stop pandering to wavering players and start respecting our own program, because I take this "on the fence" crap as disrespect.

(in response to redhat's post) Once again, England are not as deep as people imagine, especially going forward. The list below is the squad that played France in a friendly 2 and a half months ago.

0#0 Pos. Player Date of birth (age) Caps Goals Club

1 GK Joe Hart 19 April 1987 (1987-04-19) (age 23) 7 0 Manchester City

12 GK Robert Green 18 January 1980 (1980-01-18) (age 31) 11 0 West Ham United

22 GK Scott Loach 27 May 1988 (1988-05-27) (age 22) 0 0 Watford

GK Ben Foster 3 April 1983 (1983-04-03) (age 27) 5 0 Birmingham City

2 DF Phil Jagielka 17 August 1982 (1982-08-17) (age 28) 7 0 Everton

3 DF Kieran Gibbs 26 September 1989 (1989-09-26) (age 21) 2 0 Arsenal

5 DF Rio Ferdinand 7 November 1978 (1978-11-07) (age 32) 80 3 Manchester United

6 DF Joleon Lescott 16 August 1982 (1982-08-16) (age 28) 12 0 Manchester City

13 DF Micah Richards 24 June 1988 (1988-06-24) (age 22) 12 1 Manchester City

14 DF Stephen Warnock 12 December 1981 (1981-12-12) (age 29) 2 0 Aston Villa

15 DF Chris Smalling 22 November 1989 (1989-11-22) (age 21) 0 0 Manchester United

16 DF Gary Cahill 19 December 1985 (1985-12-19) (age 25) 1 0 Bolton Wanderers

DF Ashley Cole 20 December 1980 (1980-12-20) (age 30) 86 0 Chelsea

DF John Terry 7 December 1980 (1980-12-07) (age 30) 65 6 Chelsea

4 MF Steven Gerrard 30 May 1980 (1980-05-30) (age 30) 89 19 Liverpool

7 MF Theo Walcott 16 March 1989 (1989-03-16) (age 21) 15 3 Arsenal

8 MF Jordan Henderson 17 June 1990 (1990-06-17) (age 20) 1 0 Sunderland

10 MF Gareth Barry 23 February 1981 (1981-02-23) (age 29) 44 2 Manchester City

11 MF James Milner 4 January 1986 (1986-01-04) (age 25) 15 0 Manchester City

18 MF Ashley Young 9 July 1985 (1985-07-09) (age 25) 11 0 Aston Villa

19 MF Adam Johnson 14 July 1987 (1987-07-14) (age 23) 6 2 Manchester City

MF Jack Wilshere 1 January 1992 (1992-01-01) (age 19) 1 0 Arsenal

9 FW Andy Carroll 6 January 1989 (1989-01-06) (age 22) 1 0 Newcastle United

17 FW Carlton Cole 12 November 1983 (1983-11-12) (age 27) 7 0 West Ham United

20 FW Jay Bothroyd 5 May 1982 (1982-05-05) (age 28) 1 0 Cardiff City

21 FW Peter Crouch 30 January 1981 (1981-01-30) (age 29) 42 22 Tottenham Hotspur

23 FW Gabriel Agbonlahor * 13 October 1986 (1986-10-13) (age 24) 3 0 Aston Villa

That could be Junior one day, except Junior is already playing at a higher level at the age of 20. Also pretty coincidental that Bothroyd was 28 when he had his first cap considering the discussion that he would be 28 by the time he could play in the World Cup for England.

Also, I don't know what kind of a player Jordan Henderson is, but he is a midfielder for Sunderland who is the same age as Junior, and he is already called into the English squad. According to Wiki he has 57 app with 1 goal compared to Juniors 37 app with 1 goal. That alone would indicate that Junior is not as far off (albeit he is ineligibale).

Of course, if Rovers sell him to a Bundesliga club then we can breath easy, my vote is Augsburg when they get promoted next season :)

Look, it'd be great if he accepted the call up.

People are being negative right now but he has given soft verbal to the Canadian Nats (a trend that has been seen with both people who have chosen for and against Canada - although usually Canucks choose against after giving soft verbal).

Regardless, we have no control. Don't fret. He'd be a fantastic addition to the National Squad, particularly in the forward right position.

But we have no control, the CSA have made every effort to get Hoilett on board, and Hart continues to call him up for matches.

The ball is in Hoilett's court. He's either Canadian or he's not. It's his choice.

So stop fretting.

I agree with this sentiment.

When a situation like this arises you just want to make sure the player knows that the national team wants him and I believe Hart has done that. For me, that's good enough and end of discussion. All we can do is hope and if he turns out for Canada, that's a bonus.

I disagree with letter writing campaigns because no amount of badgering will convince him to change his mind if he indeed has his sights set on England.

You should let the player know that the national team wants him but you shouldn't have to bend over backwards trying to convince him.

Archived