David (Junior) Hoilett will he be with our National Team or Jamaica?

Ekchuah

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good point After watching the game yesterday, I am almost at the point of begging so Canada can actually have a decent striker.

The thing about Hoilett is that he prefers to be an attacking winger, doesn't he?

I think, instead of replacing our ineffective lone striker, the one who he would replace would be Jackson. To be honest, I can't imagine that swapping Jackson for Junior alone would be enough to push us over the top. The same issues about poor service would still be there, the same poor finishing, the same question mark up top, etc. He would be a definite upgrade but it's not like the rest of our starting eleven would suddenly become Premiership quality.

The thing about Hoilett is that he prefers to be an attacking winger, doesn't he?

I think, instead of replacing our ineffective lone striker, the one who he would replace would be Jackson. To be honest, I can't imagine that swapping Jackson for Junior alone would be enough to push us over the top. The same issues about poor service would still be there, the same poor finishing, the same question mark up top, etc. He would be a definite upgrade but it's not like the rest of our starting eleven would suddenly become Premiership quality.

If we had Hoilett, this would be an interesting starting lineup

-----DeRosaio----Jackson----

Simpson--Hutchinson--Hoilett----

----------De Guzman------------

De Jong-McKenna-Jakovic-Peters

-----------Lars/Milan-------------

Jackson would do well as a striker with this lineup, his movement up top is pretty good and he has the pace to create space and get a strike in. De Rosario would sit behind Jackson and create in the final third, which is our main problem as of late. I can imagine Hoilett being as effective as Simpson is on the left, running at defenders. Hutchinson and Julian in the middle, two guys who can keep possession well and get Dwayne the ball, or play it out to our wingers.

I honestly feel like we are one quality player away from having a competent attack. In Greece, it was only Hutchinson, De Rosario, and Simpson who seemed to create anything remotely threatening. But really, you can take Hutchinson off that list because he played the De Guzman role, and Johnson did so as well. Neither was the attacking central player we need which is why DeRosario dropped deep to collect the ball, too deep.

Johnson should be a solid bench guy. De Guzman should be lying deep to collect the ball from the defenders. He would then have two quality wingers to feed the ball to, or he could link with Hutchinson, who we need to break out of his shell and press forward more, because he has so much attacking potential. Then, we have DeRosario who can actually recieve the ball in the final third and play Jackson through balls, or have a strike, because we all know Dwayne can shoot!

I don't know why he would prefer being a winger. Lately he's been playing in the hole for Blackburn and doing quite well there. If you check match stats you'll see his average position for his last matches usually ends up almost dead centre about 2/3 of the way forward from the edge of the centre circle and the edge of the penalty area. He seems to have been given the freedom to roam the width of the pitch and so far judging by his playing time, is finding the favor of the manager.

Jackson would do well as a striker with this lineup, his movement up top is pretty good and he has the pace to create space and get a strike in. De Rosario would sit behind Jackson and create in the final third, which is our main problem as of late. I can imagine Hoilett being as effective as Simpson is on the left, running at defenders. Hutchinson and Julian in the middle, two guys who can keep possession well and get Dwayne the ball, or play it out to our wingers.

I honestly feel like we are one quality player away from having a competent attack. In Greece, it was only Hutchinson, De Rosario, and Simpson who seemed to create anything remotely threatening. But really, you can take Hutchinson off that list because he played the De Guzman role, and Johnson did so as well. Neither was the attacking central player we need which is why DeRosario dropped deep to collect the ball, too deep.

Johnson should be a solid bench guy. De Guzman should be lying deep to collect the ball from the defenders. He would then have two quality wingers to feed the ball to, or he could link with Hutchinson, who we need to break out of his shell and press forward more, because he has so much attacking potential. Then, we have DeRosario who can actually recieve the ball in the final third and play Jackson through balls, or have a strike, because we all know Dwayne can shoot!

Talk about Total Football! Each one of those players could switch to almost any another position they've all played them

There are goals in that starting XI for sure. I like it. Maybe swap Dero or Jackson for Gerba... but still, very nice.

• 4 weeks later...
There are goals in that starting XI for sure. I like it. Maybe swap Dero or Jackson for Gerba... but still, very nice.

Yes there are goals in that starting XI... but I don't see them going in the right net. I really don't think we are good enough to play a 2 man midfield. We need to stick three in there. Especially in CONCACAF where we tend to see a slower, often counter attack based game. I think you need Johnson in there to give the midfield a little more steel. IF we played Jackson up top and then switched between De Ro, Simpson and Hoilett in the wing positions I'd feel more comfortable. Playing that front five looks tempting, but I just feel we would struggle to get any grip in the midfield. De Guzman is not good enough to dominate the centre of the park by himself.

Yes there are goals in that starting XI... but I don't see them going in the right net. I really don't think we are good enough to play a 2 man midfield. We need to stick three in there. Especially in CONCACAF where we tend to see a slower, often counter attack based game. I think you need Johnson in there to give the midfield a little more steel. IF we played Jackson up top and then switched between De Ro, Simpson and Hoilett in the wing positions I'd feel more comfortable. Playing that front five looks tempting, but I just feel we would struggle to get any grip in the midfield. De Guzman is not good enough to dominate the centre of the park by himself.

I'll second Sam's opinions.

ITS OVER.

I wouldn't say this if I didn't receive reliable information first hand, as those who know me know I am a blind optimist when it comes to National Team matters. Take it from me. Apparently, Junior has had his mind made up re. NOT representing Canada internationally for a long while now.

****!

Lets just move on.

ITS OVER.

I wouldn't say this if I didn't receive reliable information first hand, as those who know me know I am a blind optimist when it comes to National Team matters. Take it from me. Apparently, Junior has had his mind made up re. NOT representing Canada internationally for a long while now.

****!

Lets just move on.

Lesson one, anyone who delays to play for Canada will probably not play for Canada.

You are a reliable poster here, so I know you wouldn't make stuff up. Any news on which way he is leaning? I assume England

That sound you heard was absolutely nobody being surprised or so much as curling an eyebrow.

CORRECT_032072.jpg

On the plus side, it seems the CSA did everything in its power to get this guy to commit. Sure the CSA has its faults, but soccer in this nation is better than it is ever been, so any CSA excuses are foolish IMO.

holding out for England he is.

Can't wait for the 2022 Qualifying run when 30 year old De Guzman and Hoilett finally choose.....

...no one.

When Josh, Atiba and the boys book our tickets to Brazil, lets take a snapshot on the beach and send it to him as a postcard. "Glad you're not here"

Right guys? Right?

When Josh, Atiba and the boys book our tickets to Brazil, lets take a snapshot on the beach and send it to him as a postcard. "Glad you're not here"

Right guys? Right?

But Canada won't qualify to Brazil. There are too many players in the MNT pool who aren't getting enough minutes with their clubs, too many players.

But Canada won't qualify to Brazil. There are too many players in the MNT pool who aren't getting enough minutes with their clubs, too many players.

Didn't take me long to realize there's not much fun being a CMNT supporter and being realistic.

As long as it's possible, IT'S GONNA HAPPEN. :D

Alright I'll counter with Canada will qualify for Brazil because our talent pool is better than it's ever been

Archived