David (Junior) Hoilett will he be with our National Team or Jamaica?

Ekchuah

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever since I've seen his American eligibility, I thought it was over. Before I said: "Meh, it's possible he could play for us"

I don't think it's that surprsing. I've read the story on the newspaper about him looking towards Canada something like 1 year ago but hey if he was thinking Canada, he would have chosen Canada.

I just hope I don't see him score against Canada on June 7th.

Good discussion on Fan590's The Soccer Show about the upcoming Gold Cup. Never been a big fan of Bob Iarusci's commentary but I love how he goes all "MacCarthian" in regards to David Hoillet.

Gold Cup discussion starts at 15:20 (Hoillet at 16:20)

Bob Iarusci re Hoillet. (JM now paraphrasing)

"He (Hoillet) has two months to figure it out. If he (Hart) can't get him two play in the Gold Cup I would kiss that guy goodbye and let him play with who he thinks he can play with. He's not gonna be an English international and if he prefers Jamaica over Canada they can have him. Quite frankly I'm sick and tired of these guys who think that they're world beaters, by the way, how's Mr deGuzman doing with Holland? He gave up Canada to play for Holland how's he doin', by the way.

Nigel: "He 's playing in Spain

Bob Iarusci: Oh good for him, his brother played in Spain too, by the way, yeah so what. I'm still waiting for him to play with the Clockwork Orange team...I'm being melodramatic about it but obviously I want our Canadian boys to play for Canada, it's as simple as that.

Nigel describes how Hoillet and DeGuzman were similar in going to another country at a young age.

Nigel re: players who have been asked the question (playing for Canada) several times. "Fine, answer the question and we'll all move on, If you don't want to play for Canada but on that point I would agree with Bob wholeheartedly, if you don't want to play for Canada that's fine, come out and say so, and don't leave us dangling here.

Nigel re Hoillet saying he wants to solidify his spot on Blackburn; the Gold Cup takes place in the summer and he doesn't have to fight for a place on the team in June and July. Every single Canadian player I've talked to has been bullied and cajoled not to play for Canada because of threat of injury, the travel involved, and the teams are paying their wages and frankly don't want them playing for a team that is not a big player on the global international stage

Bob Iarusci: You know how I know it's overcome, by the character of the player, if Hoillet has the cajones he claims he has, like Gareth Bale he'll tell Tottenham he's playing for Wales when it's time to play for Wales and he's probably the most sought after transfer, he's a Welshman and nobody from Tottenham management is going to tell him otherwise when it's time for him to represent his country. If Hoillet is waffling now if I'm Stephen Hart I don't want him on my team. I don't want a waffler, I want a guy with strong character so show me what you can do with a red and white jersey and that you are more than a calculated businessman.

If we make it to Brazil, and Hoilett decides to suddenly cap for Canada I say we take the earliest opportunity during a home game to literally throws eggs at the son of a *****.

He better play in the GC, if he doesn't eff him even if he does suit up...

He better play in the GC, if he doesn't eff him even if he does suit up...

I'm willing to bet that Hoilett only comes knocking if we qualify for a world cup, and if that happens, I'm serious, we should throw eggs, trash, beer, whatever is on-hand at this guy. I'm sick of our country being regarded as the fall-back option for over-confident mid-European level talent. You're either with us, or you're not, but don't lead people on like this, going on about being a Canadian and not playing as one.

If he caps after we go on an upswing in performance, he gets the trash treatment like Ronaldo at Man Utd after the 2006 World Cup.

I'm willing to bet that Hoilett only comes knocking if we qualify for a world cup, and if that happens, I'm serious, we should throw eggs, trash, beer, whatever is on-hand at this guy. I'm sick of our country being regarded as the fall-back option for over-confident mid-European level talent. You're either with us, or you're not, but don't lead people on like this, going on about being a Canadian and not playing as one.

If he caps after we go on an upswing in performance, he gets the trash treatment like Ronaldo at Man Utd after the 2006 World Cup.

Amen! Good stuff from Iarusci too I'm a fan now

If we make it to Brazil, and Hoilett decides to suddenly cap for Canada I say we take the earliest opportunity during a home game to literally throws eggs at the son of a *****.

I'm all for razzing opponents. Not guys on our own team.

This is crazy ex-girlfriend type stuff.

Scenario: You are an average looking guy, and you go to a bar. You see a smokin' hot chick sitting beside a somewhat plain looking chick that is a bit on the heavy side. You spend all night buying drinks for the hot chick and hitting on her. Occasionally, you acknowledge the presence of the other one, but you make it pretty clear that you have no interest in her and are really trying to hook up with the other one. At the end of the night, despite your best efforts, the hot chick ends up going home with some manscaped pretty boy (lets call him Landon). You are left at the bar all alone, and in a moment of drunken desparation you toss out some cheesy pick-up line to Mrs. Last Resort, because at that point you realize that going home with her is better than going home alone.

Don't be surprised if she doesn't eagerly drop to her knees to service you right there and then.

Incidentally, we are the tubby chick in this analogy.

Don't be surprised if she doesn't eagerly drop to her knees to service you right there and then.

That's so true. Especially in football, Canada has always been terrible with service. ;-)

Scenario: You are an average looking guy, and you go to a bar. You see a smokin' hot chick sitting beside a somewhat plain looking chick that is a bit on the heavy side. You spend all night buying drinks for the hot chick and hitting on her. Occasionally, you acknowledge the presence of the other one, but you make it pretty clear that you have no interest in her and are really trying to hook up with the other one. At the end of the night, despite your best efforts, the hot chick ends up going home with some manscaped pretty boy (lets call him Landon). You are left at the bar all alone, and in a moment of drunken desparation you toss out some cheesy pick-up line to Mrs. Last Resort, because at that point you realize that going home with her is better than going home alone.

To complete the analogy you then have to imagine that the "plain chick" is indeed your wife.

Thing is these guys tend to still view themselves as Canadians and are proud of that fact. They view what team they play for on the World stage as a business or goal oriented decision, so not surprising that they would wear Canadian gear introduce themselves as Canadian etc. (referring to JDG2, Hoilett, OH)

Archived