Peru/Honduras squad rumors/announcements/speculation thread

Keano

Has anyone read if Hart has dropped any hints? Will he continue to experiment or start to bring together a Gold Cup squad? Will it be overwhelmingly NA or will some of Klukowski, Simpson, Stalteri, Hutch, Bernier, Jackson play? With no solid #1 GK is it time to cap Stillo? etc

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Josh Simpson has been confirmed.

As for the experimentation, It hink it's time for us to experiement only when necessary and start playing the same core of players. What I mean is, if you are going to call new players, do it based on their club performances or on need if the current players are underperforming. It's time to have this team gelling.

I think it will be mostly Euro and some MLS guys but who knows, it will depend on the deals SH will get with MLS coaches.

Not really the time to call Stillo, he hasn't done anything at the pro level that deserve a call. My guess is will see Lars and the return of Greg Sutton. Al-Shaibani could also be there.

^^Yes I agree with this. We need to start getting a core lineup. It is good to bring in a couple of new/experimental/on the bubble players each match to see what they can do and build depth but it is even more important to get the key players to start playing together regularly and start getting some results.

I don't think it's unreasonable to identify some core players. Who might these be? I'd say De Guzman and Hutchinson are no-brainers, De Rosario as well if you believe he'll remain consistent as he moves into his mid-30s.

As much as we like to look to our young players, there are few of them right now who have shown the kind of promise where you'd expect them to be able to make a useful contribution two years down the line. Straith and Attakora, perhaps, Hoilett of course if he's keen. I think we could probably come up with a list of 25 guys that will play 95% of the minutes come the beginning of WCQ.

Apart from the speculatively/tentatively Canadian guys mentioned in another thread (JDG2, Hoilett, Bunbury), I don't think we're going to see a lot of new blood make a big splash in the very near future. Let's face it: Gavin McCallum and Gianluca Zavarise, among others (two guys capped against Venezuela), aren't going to carry us to Brazil.

I suspect there would be a serious breakdown in the relationship between TFC and the CSA if those four players were all called up.

You are right. I'd ask for them in this order:

1. de Guzman

2. Attakora

3. De Rosario

4. Cann

But I'd be happy with any two of those four.

I suspect there would be a serious breakdown in the relationship between TFC and the CSA if those four players were all called up.
Surely the breakdown occurred when TFC scheduled a rare mid-week game on a FIFA date when they knew Canada would likely be playing, in Canada.

Not interested in getting into an argument on that. I believe strongly that MLS should respect FIFA's international calendar but the reality is that they don't and Stephen Hart and Preki both have to deal with that reality. Think it's difficult for TFC to argue with JDG and to a lesser extent DeRosario being called up but there are other viable options in central defence and it's a long time until the CMNT will be playing a competitive game again.

... it's a long time until the CMNT will be playing a competitive game again.
It's only 10 months until the Gold Cup ... surely they should be trying to get a working squad together now! This are probably the only games in Canada before the next competitive game; we should be seeing our strongest line up, no matter who they are playing for.

I reserve the right to argue the other side of the coin though, in a Toronto FC forum. :)

I'd probably settle for taking one player from Toronto, and that player would be Nana Attakora. The other North American players I'd take would be Jakovic, Johnson, Bunbury, and (yes) Gerba.

Lars Hirschfeld has to return. Has to. It's been too long and if he's going to be a part of WCQ 2014 he needs to start getting some international games in. The backups don't matter that much since they shouldn't get off the bench; Monsalve and Al-Shaibani are as good as anyone.

I'd call David Edgar and he had bloody well better show up because if he didn't I'm not sure how much longer I'd keep calling him.

If Junior Hoilett wants to come, he gets a first-class ticket.

No, but they have input; and although they'd be unable to avoid all FIFA dates, I have doubt they could have avoided the mid-week friendly if they really wanted to.

Yeah, and while I know it's difficult on the CSA's part knowing if they can line up an opponent on certain international dates this is one of the areas where they have to work with TFC (and Vancouver, and Montreal) very early on to have some sort of uniform approach to laying out the club seasons schedules. Especially for Canada home fixtures.

CSA has to pick a date and come Hell or high water get an opponent lined up for BMO Field. Tell the clubs early enough so when they're putting their league schedules forward they know full well what's going to happen, when it's going to happen and to fully expect that any number of players can and well be called.

May sound a bit harsh but once or twice a season the clubs can live with losing players for international duty, especially for Canada's home friendlies and especially if the trade off is some relief during the away friendlies for the rest of the MLS season.

If the clubs can't live with that, given ten months notice, well fu'k them.

I think the MLS schedule was set long before these friendlies were announced! Until MLS adheres to FIFA dates we're going to have this problem! As much as I'd like to see the 4 players that were mentioned from TFC involved, I don't think it's going to happen while TFC has such a crowded schedule and are fighting for a play off spot! I agree that we have to identify a core group of players for the MNT but there is lots of time to do that as long as we keep playing friendlies!

what kind of statement is the mls trying to do with this anyways

The problem is MLS worries about shifting matches to midweek because attendances have proven to be considerably lower for the most part! After a two week shutdown for the opening round of the World Cup it was always going to be difficult for them to recognize the FIFA dates this season, hopefully next year there is a compromise as there are more and more international players from all countries playing in MLS!

Archived