Peru/Honduras squad rumors/announcements/speculation thread

Keano

This is interesting:

But, ironically, Jackson’s future with the Canadian team might not be as a striker; Hart talked to him during the team’s training camp this week in Alliston, Ont. and suggested that he might want to use him as a winger, where he could us his speed to run defenders ragged. Jackson said he’d welcome the challenge — and would play wherever Hart thought he’d best serve the team.

I guess he wants to use him in the same way that Radz and Hume have been deployed in the past, which leads me to also guess that DeRo will be the attacking mid/second striker support for Friend.

As for Hutchinson's role, prior to and during the GC 07 I envisioned him as more of an attack minded mid in the formation we used. I remember he and Friend showing some good chemistry in the match vs Venezuela. But by year's end his role changed to a deeper lying mid position. From the video you can certainly see the attacking quality he showed in Denmark, but that's not the guy I've seen wearing the maple leaf in MNT matches over the past two years.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears Hart is making the same mistake Mitchell made in the U20 WC, you don't stick a goal poacher on the wing where he's further away from the goal...and DeRo is **** as a playmaker, i really hope he's not in the central attacking mid role. If we play with 1 striker i'll drink myself to death.

My starting XI:

--------------Lars---------------

Straith-Jakovic-McKenna-DeJong

DeRo----Julian--Hutch--Simpson

---------Friend---Jackson-------

I agree... I honestly hope 4-5-1 days are over with the CMNT as having lone striker up at the top simply does not create enough chances at the final third to wreck havoc at the defense. As a proponent of 4-4-2 (you think?), here is my lineup.

dero/friend

simpson/hutch/deguz/jackson

de jong/jakovic/nana/straith

peters, hume and johnson as the first choice subs.

In watching the world cup this past summer it seems like pretty much every team now plays with a 4-5-1 system. Or some slight variation of that. The thing is they only do it when not in possesion of the ball. When the opposition has the ball there are 10 players goalside, When possesion is gained most teams were pushing the too wingers forward, to create a 4-3-3. I'm sure this is what hart has in mind. The problem in the past has often been that we struggle to get posession, so never are able to get out of the 4-5-1

^Do you remember Radzinski's post-WCQ where he felt he should have been used more centrally instead of DeRo?

I'd be really surprised if DeRo is played on the right for this match, especially if the plan is to deploy the predominately left footed Simpson on the other side.

I do and he was right, Radz was much more dangerous as a front man and should have been partnering Gerba in a 2-man strike force - especially at home.

Hey that's the lineup i want to see, not what we're going to get. Stalteri will 99% be starting at RB, i would bet your left nut on it.

In watching the world cup this past summer it seems like pretty much every team now plays with a 4-5-1 system. Or some slight variation of that. The thing is they only do it when not in possesion of the ball. When the opposition has the ball there are 10 players goalside, When possesion is gained most teams were pushing the too wingers forward, to create a 4-3-3. I'm sure this is what hart has in mind. The problem in the past has often been that we struggle to get posession, so never are able to get out of the 4-5-1

The problem is that we're an utterly useless counter attacking team when we gain possession. We're always forced to slow the play down because we don't have the precision of passing and ball control that other teams who employ this system enjoy and this allows our opponents to get back. If you want to make it work you have to have wide players who can take defenders on with full confidence, a playmaker in the middle who can accept and thread passes seamlessly and a single striker who makes runs into space and can finish. IMO the only way the 4-3-3 works for us is if Jono De Guzman plays as our #10, no one else has the moxie to run a counter attack effectively enough. Jr. Hoilett as winger or striker wouldn't hurt either.

^ deschamps86 lineup above ain't bad either. Johnson works hard and can keep up with Vargas.

Dunfield has been called up to replace Julian for the game against Honduras.

FFS - what's he being rewarded for - he said himself he's not match fit yet.

Wouldn't Bernier be the natural choice to slot in and then we already have someone like Zavarise around to warm the bench, DM or not.

I wish Pozniak had been called - he is fine form and can play multiple positions. Now we have nobody at LB and are limping or pencil thin all over the park.

I guess he wants to use him in the same way that Radz and Hume have been deployed in the past, which leads me to also guess that DeRo will be the attacking mid/second striker support for Friend.

As for Hutchinson's role, prior to and during the GC 07 I envisioned him as more of an attack minded mid in the formation we used. I remember he and Friend showing some good chemistry in the match vs Venezuela. But by year's end his role changed to a deeper lying mid position. From the video you can certainly see the attacking quality he showed in Denmark, but that's not the guy I've seen wearing the maple leaf in MNT matches over the past two years.

...and again, I didn't see it yesterday.

Archived