Peru/Honduras squad rumors/announcements/speculation thread

Keano

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great... didn't know that. Then perhaps 433 makes more sense than 442 if Hart wants to keep Friend as a lone real striker

the only problem is that our 4-3-3's always turn into a 4-5-1 with friend all alone with no support. trying a 4-4-2 wouldnt hurt. using jackson as the speedy linkman and friend as the big target guy

He did at the Gold Cup and looked good.

Against Honduras in the QF I got frustrated when he preferred to play the ball back instead of taking advantage of the number of 1 v 1 opportunities he seemed to be afforded. He's quick and shifty but does have that burst that you'd like to have in a winger However, I like how he moves the ball quickly with one or two touches. I was surprised he didn't do more of the corners/free kick service during the GC considering the mediocrity of Klukowski's and Bernier's efforts in that department (particularly in the QF): last year with RSL he looked to be responsible (and effective) in that role.

Pizarro strained a thigh muscle today as Bremen defeated Koeln. Doubt we'll see him. McKenna scored in injury time in a 4-2 loss. Tied with Podolski and Novakovic with the team lead in goals :)

its very unlikely that he will play. Neither Guerrero.

Looks like only Jefferson Farfan will play out of Peru's Bundesliga strikers. But this game is about Peru's new generation anyway, from their perspective.

Peru will be missing 4 starters for this game. Butron , rodriguez , guerrero and pizarro.

They will still be dangerous on the wings with vargas and farfan , but they will def miss their central forward.

Fernandez from deportive quito will more than likely replace pizarro. Very good in the air and inside the area. He plays very similar to pizarro , only difference is that one plays in the bundesliga and the other in the ecuadorian league , therefore fernandez will be easier to control

Here is the XI I would like to see vs. Peru

-----------------------Hirschfeld-----------------------

Attakora--------McKenna----Jakovic------De Jong

De Rosario---De Guzman-Hutchinson---Simpson

--------------------Jackson----------------------------

--------------------Friend-------------------------------

Neither Jackson or Friend have shown they can do it alone up front so I think its time to see what Jackson and Friend can do together...

The rest of the lineup seems like a no brainer to me, Attakora gets the start in Toronto Im sure he'll have a great match.. McKenna + Jakovic reunited, De Jong gets a shot at left back. In midfield we need De Guzman and Hutchinson to build chemistry together and we need our wingers DeRo and Simpson making good runs.. Simpson looked good in Turkey last season and I thought he was good at the 2009 Gold Cup, DeRo needs to have some good matches he's been MIA for a while

I 100% agree with what you said except for Attakora. It's nothing personal against him, he has some NT potential in him for sure, it's just that I would like to see Straith start with the A-squad minus Kluko. But unfortunately I have the same feeling expressed here that we'll end up playing 4-5-1 (Friend ALL ALONE up front).

Starting XI

---------------Hirschfeld-------------------

Straith----Jakovic----McKenna----Klukowski

------------------JDG----------------------

-------Hutchinson----Simpson--------------

-----------------DeRo----------------------

-----------Hoilett----Friend-----------------

Subs (1 GK - 3 DF - 2 DM - 1 AM - 3 FW)

Al-Shaïbani

Edgar

Attakora

De Jong

Pacheco

Bernier

Johnson

Jackson

Bunbury

Hume

...for a total of 21 call-ups.

I'd start Lars, but I'd also like to see more of Al-Shaïbani. I say start Lars for the Peru game and Haidar for the Honduras game as I'd really like to see what he's capable of in person. :P Maybe call Joshua once again but if they don't, it won't bother me really. IMO, at the moment, the job is still Lars' to lose and Haidar's to win (longshot).

Anyone dare to give Edgar a try in the starting XI if he ever gets decent playing time in Clarets land (4 games IIRC before the Peru game) ? The problem is McKenna is too safe a bet at CB compared to him if we want to start building a stable base on which to build the rest, especially with two youngsters on the right side (as I see it). Cann ? Mmmmmm... not sure. Attakora for his part is only 21. Cann is neither young nor a stabilizing, reassuring vet at the international level à la Kluko (at least according to our own Canadian definition of stabilizing vet), so he's not on top of my list. Well actually he's not on my list at all. Oh and no Stalteri and/or Hastings. Please.

JDG is a lock, no need to elaborate. I want Simpson on the left wing and because of that, depending on what your lineup is, there's a good chance Hutch finds himself on the right wing. If Hart takes DeRo out, I would then move him to SS. Pacheco should be there with Bernier the vet if *cough* *cough* we are leading in the 2nd half. I'm not sold yet about Peters (nor I will ever be the way it's going) but Johnson has potential.

As for the forwards, nothing really to add as about everyone here agree on the same names (Friend, Hoilett, Jackson, Bunbury). Except for Hume, time to put his name on the goal summary. But if he doesn't get the call, I won't complain either. The first four are currently the most important ones to give playing time to.

What I wrote in the previous roster thread. So...

- What I wanted at GK and back line except for Kluko, so yes De Jong is the obvious replacement. Then Edgar seems to bail out on the team, so even though I said no Stalteri please, OK, I'm going to accept the fact he's gonna get the now "infamous" 2 games he misses and hope for a great adios-amigos-and-thanks-for-everything ceremony in MTL and finally give more playing time to Straith/Attakora/Peters/hope for Edgar.

- MF is OK with Issey in place of Pacheco though I would have liked to see the latter get some time to hang around with the boys. Peter's not my fav, but won't complain either. Zavarise: know sweet f*ck all about him. But curious to see him play nonetheless according to what I read from you all.

- Since Hoilett/Bunbury aren't in, Jackson becomes a no-brainer here. Friend's case was already the same as well. I wish so much Ali gets the call for the Honduras game, there's certainly room for him within the roster, especially since Hume is the only other option (except obviously that De Ro and McKenna could do the job on a short-term basis but that's not in the best interest of the team). Of course all of that will be irrelevant if Hart stands with his usual and underwhelming 4-5-1.

"Time to do Canadian soccer proud" by Gareth Wheeler

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Wheeler/2010/08/30/15185176.html

I'm not sure about that line:

It's hard to find a person not impressed with head coach Stephen Hart and his refreshing approach to his young side.

since SH seems to be using the same system (4-5-1) as his predecessor with pretty much the same players but I agree with his main point about players finding excuses not to accept calls form SH.

since SH seems to be using the same system (4-5-1) as his predecessor with pretty much the same players but I agree with his main point about players finding excuses not to accept calls form SH.

Like you I agree with the sentiments of the article but strongly disagree with the quoted line. So far the main difference between Hart and Mitchell is that the players like him better. There has been no improvement in results, tactics or on field play. Even the quoted large number of players he has fielded in 2010 is bolstered by us playing two friendlies on non-FIFA dates and Hart having no choice except to call whoever was available. I am willing to give him some time and a chance but so far he has not proven much in showing that he is the coach to lead us in the next WCQ. The players mentioned should be showing up though and good on Wheeler for naming them and calling them out.

Like you I agree with the sentiments of the article but strongly disagree with the quoted line. So far the main difference between Hart and Mitchell is that the players like him better. There has been no improvement in results, tactics or on field play. Even the quoted large number of players he has fielded in 2010 is bolstered by us playing two friendlies on non-FIFA dates and Hart having no choice except to call whoever was available. I am willing to give him some time and a chance but so far he has not proven much in showing that he is the coach to lead us in the next WCQ. The players mentioned should be showing up though and good on Wheeler for naming them and calling them out.

I am much less patient than you are it seems. For me, Canada must score at least 3 goals in the next 3 games and get some positive results.

The fact that Canada has only scored what, 1 goal in hte last 6 games? I know that we don't have the strongest offensive team, but we should be doing better than that. The 4-5-1 has obviously not been effective for us since... Since I started following the MNT. Even the last Gold Cup wasn't good on that front either. Playing defensively is fine, but you need to be at least capable to counter-attack and it doesn't seem we've even tried doing that for a while.

I might be over reacting, but the next two friendlies are actually pretty damn important for me. I want results.

I have to somewhat agree with Sebastien, if we don't start getting results soon we're going to go into a tailspin of declining confidence and that's the last thing this team needs. There might be something to be said about waiting until next summers Gold Cup, but we all know the results in that tournament (against competition taking it less seriously than us) will give us an inflated sense of strength and set us up for another disappointment. Hart has to show he can light a fire under players asses and get the team winning or else he needs to go.

I am much less patient than you are it seems. For me, Canada must score at least 3 goals in the next 3 games and get some positive results.

The fact that Canada has only scored what, 1 goal in hte last 6 games? I know that we don't have the strongest offensive team, but we should be doing better than that. The 4-5-1 has obviously not been effective for us since... Since I started following the MNT. Even the last Gold Cup wasn't good on that front either. Playing defensively is fine, but you need to be at least capable to counter-attack and it doesn't seem we've even tried doing that for a while.

I might be over reacting, but the next two friendlies are actually pretty damn important for me. I want results.

They are friendlies, however and at the best of times only few goals are scored in games like this,. as I mentioned in a previous post the most diffcult of the two, should be against Peru. That's the result we need. even a 1-0 score is not to shabby.

Honduras on the other hand, a mixture of different things to try extract information for the next friendly would be ideal and mostlikely harmless in that game as the result should be positive..

Yes I agree these two games should be very important for Hart's future with the team though whether the CSA also believes this is a big question.

Yeah, and hopefully they learned from the Mitchell mistake and did not give Hart a 4-year contract.

It seems like he and the previous coaching staff (of which he was a part) like using this single central striker as opposed to a two striker tandem. But I'm curious to see what he comes up with vs Peru. As I stated in another thread, I think a fast attack with an up tempo, high field pressure match like TFC used vs Cruz Azul may give the Peruvians trouble on the fast, BMO surface with its crowded confines and as such players who can demonstrate the skills needed for such a game plan should start.

As for the player selection for this match: Hart's had a chance to survey and assess a bunch of newbies not just in match time but also in training for those matches and frankly I'm not surprised by his selections except for G-L's namesake (though I'm guessing he would have taken a healthy Pacheco instead). He clearly feels that his incumbent squad members have more to offer for now.

For these matches I want to be convinced that the so-called A list "automatic starter" guys really stamp some authority on the game, in our house.

It seems like he and the previous coaching staff (of which he was a part) like using this single central striker as opposed to a two striker tandem. But I'm curious to see what he comes up with vs Peru. As I stated in another thread, I think a fast attack with an up tempo, high field pressure match like TFC used vs Cruz Azul may give the Peruvians trouble on the fast, BMO surface with its crowded confines and as such players who can demonstrate the skills needed for such a game plan should start.

As for the player selection for this match: Hart's had a chance to survey and assess a bunch of newbies not just in match time but also in training for those matches and frankly I'm not surprised by his selections except for G-L's namesake (though I'm guessing he would have taken a healthy Pacheco instead). He clearly feels that his incumbent squad members have more to offer for now.

For these matches I want to be convinced that the so-called A list "automatic starter" guys really stamp some authority on the game, in our house.

Thanks, now I can't get the BMO TV commercial out of my head...

Did SH used a 4-4-2 formation since replacing Mitchell? I remember us playing a 4-4-2 against Mexico in Edmonton (we were already out) with some positive results. I think Gerba and Radz were our 2 strikers for that game.

Interesting that James mentions Jonathon DeGuzman as a possiblility in the next few years. Does he read the speculation on this board, or are people in the "know" aware of other information?

Not only does he mention Jono, he mentions just about everyone on the squad plus Hoilett/Bunbury/etc and never once even hints at Julian. :rolleyes:

Thanks, now I can't get the BMO TV commercial out of my head...

Did SH used a 4-4-2 formation since replacing Mitchell? I remember us playing a 4-4-2 against Mexico in Edmonton (we were already out) with some positive results. I think Gerba and Radz were our 2 strikers for that game.

Sorry about that, loyola. Actually, I just watched the end of the movie Rudy where Coach Devine concludes his pregame speech by saying something like, "No one, and I mean no one, comes in and pushes us around in our house!"

And yes, he used Gerba and Radzinski together vs Mexico, with the midfield foursome of Stalteri on the right, De Jong and then Pozniak on the left, and the much maligned pairing of Bernier and Harmse in the centre. No DeRo, ho JDG, no Hutchinson. Now, I didn't see the Poland match but I was given the impression from match reports that we may have used something similar, but someone will have to give me feeback about it.

Archived