Peru/Honduras squad rumors/announcements/speculation thread

Keano

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suspect there would be a serious breakdown in the relationship between TFC and the CSA if those four players were all called up.

Dallas is (very quietly) the hottest team in MLS and haven't lost since something like April. TFC are terrible away. As usual anything can happen but I'm not counting on anything, even a good performance, from that game and won't be heartbroken if TFC fields a secondary line-up. You could even argue that with all the CCL games added to the schedule it'd be better for TFC's core to stay in T.O. and only play 45 to 60 minutes instead of travelling with the team. From a marketing perspective it's completely better if those guys start to be identified with the national team in the Toronto market.

And I'm generally a club before country guy in principle.

Could they call 2 for one match, and 2 for the other?

Call me naive, but why doesn't the CSA just call up whoever the hell they want??? Bloody hell, Spain called up seven(7!) Barcelona players for a pointless, meaningless, and ultimately unwanted friendly halfway across the world in Mexico. Granted they have more pull, but this is a FIFA date, and the National Team should come first on those days. I expect to see Coach Hart pick the squad he wants, and not bow to TFC(or any club for that matter).

Dallas is (very quietly) the hottest team in MLS and haven't lost since something like April. TFC are terrible away. As usual anything can happen but I'm not counting on anything, even a good performance, from that game and won't be heartbroken if TFC fields a secondary line-up. You could even argue that with all the CCL games added to the schedule it'd be better for TFC's core to stay in T.O. and only play 45 to 60 minutes instead of travelling with the team. From a marketing perspective it's completely better if those guys start to be identified with the national team in the Toronto market.

And I'm generally a club before country guy in principle.

I would love to see the 4 TFC players in the lineup against Peru and I think you have a real good point about the marketing aspect, I'm not sure Preki would just give away the possible points in the heat of a play off chase no matter how daunting a task it might be to get a result in Dallas! I've mentioned earlier, I REALLY want to see Cann and Nana paired up for Canada, they're developing a great understnding which would be hard to duplicate no matter what other pairing you come up with!

Call me naive, but why doesn't the CSA just call up whoever the hell they want??? Bloody hell, Spain called up seven(7!) Barcelona players for a pointless, meaningless, and ultimately unwanted friendly halfway across the world in Mexico. Granted they have more pull, but this is a FIFA date, and the National Team should come first on those days. I expect to see Coach Hart pick the squad he wants, and not bow to TFC(or any club for that matter).

But then when you start doing that, you don't curry any favour for when you actually need it. Quick hypothetical example: Hart develops a good relationship with Preki so that when WCQ comes around and we're looking to bring the team together for a pre-WCQ friendly not on a FIFA date, if they have this good relationship and if certain understandings are in place, it would be easier to call in the guys you need at that point. This is just a friendly.

Of course, in that example, Preki is still the coach in a year and with TFCs track record.... ;)

No club in the world, regardless of the relationship with a given FA is going to give up a player for a non-FIFA date friendly during their season unless they are forced to or reimbursed (thinking of the Mexican clubs prior to this WC).

If we had our own league and could re-schedule games we could made agreements only to take a certain # of players etc. But the CSA only sanctions 3 teams right now and doesn't have control over the schedule so it's not even really worth exploring...

I understand the argument around trying to find a regular lineup and create cohesion... but I'm curious as to who you guys consider to be the "core" players... keeping in mind that there's another year and a half of aging between these guys and our most important games in 2014 qualifying.

I agree. The point of going with those experimental players was to find a diamond in rough? Or, more appropriately, who can play. Too early to say if Hart succeeded. But there there were certainly one or two from that group (Pacheco, Sidra and McCallum who come to mind) that deserve second look.

The point about core players: If we mean by core to be those who were part of the last WCQ efforts, then what is achieved by going back to the well with the group that you previously failed with. What is that saying again about the definition of insanity?

No club in the world, regardless of the relationship with a given FA is going to give up a player for a non-FIFA date friendly during their season unless they are forced to or reimbursed (thinking of the Mexican clubs prior to this WC).

TFC did just that when they released both DeRo and JDG for the Argentina friendly in May. Granted, Julian didn't travel due to injury, but he was given permission to play by Preki/TFC.

And that's why what RJB suggested is naive. Preki has shown to be willing to compromise, so Hart should do the same in return.

^ If Preki is still TFC coach come 2012 there is something to be said about making sure the relationship between him and Hart is good, because if Preki convinces players into international retirement to avoid missing League games for WCQ that is a major issue (something we've seen managers all around the world do, I'm not picking out Preki as being the bad guy here, obviously for him he'd prefer his players to be retired from international play but if he has a good relationship with Hart he would be more willing to let his players go out to play during 2012). So if that means sacrificing players for a few friendlies so be it.

TFC did just that when they released both DeRo and JDG for the Argentina friendly in May. Granted, Julian didn't travel due to injury, but he was given permission to play by Preki/TFC.

And that's why what RJB suggested is naive. Preki has shown to be willing to compromise, so Hart should do the same in return.

Sorry, i should have specified missing games. In this case DeRo (and Julian if he was healthy) didn't miss any time with TFC for the Argentina friendly. I guess this would work, but it's not ideal since the players will miss most of any training regimen prior to the friendly.

Several FA's in Central America will shutdown the league or delay the start of the league to allow the NT to hold extended training camps to prepare for WC. The Mexican FA which is loaded with $$$ can get the clubs to bend for them and release some players during the season where they will actually miss games.

What concerns me, is that when World Cup Qualifying/Gold Cup comes around, and we inevitably struggle because the squad hasn't been together for enough friendlies, we will be the ones to suffer.

This is a FIFA date. There is no need to compromise in my opinion. It is up to MLS to schedule around these dates, rather than the National Teams make compromises. The CSA has all the leeway here.

Congratulations to Preki for letting his top two players go and play in a game that could be the highlight of their international career, and not miss any games for him. His philanthropy comes into question if he's going to raise a stink on a FIFA date though.

What concerns me, is that when World Cup Qualifying/Gold Cup comes around, and we inevitably struggle because the squad hasn't been together for enough friendlies, we will be the ones to suffer.

This is a FIFA date. There is no need to compromise in my opinion. It is up to MLS to schedule around these dates, rather than the National Teams make compromises. The CSA has all the leeway here.

The issue is not whether MLS should or should not schedule around FIFA dates. The issue is that MLS currently does not, and that's not the fault of Preki nor any of the other MLS coaches, nor is it the fault of Hart.

It's just the way it is right now, so not pissing off the club coaches of our players is another thing that Hart needs to keep in mind.

Your "**** it, MLS needs to get with the program" stance is all well and good in theory, but in reality it wouldn't work out so well. Hart would be cutting off his nose to spite his face if he demanded the players without respecting the club coaches.

Congratulations to Preki for letting his top two players go and play in a game that could be the highlight of their international career, and not miss any games for him. His philanthropy comes into question if he's going to raise a stink on a FIFA date though.

BTW, DeRo did in fact miss a TFC match to go play in the Argentina friendly on the non-FIFA date. He flew directly from Vancouver to Buenos Aires for that game, while his teammates flew to Toronto and played a game vs. New England without him. De Guzman was also supposed to be on that flight to Buenos Aires.

I do appreciate the attempt at sarcasm, though.

The issue is not whether MLS should or should not schedule around FIFA dates. The issue is that MLS currently does not, and that's not the fault of Preki nor any of the other MLS coaches, nor is it the fault of Hart.

It's just the way it is right now, so not pissing off the club coaches of our players is another thing that Hart needs to keep in mind.

Your "**** it, MLS needs to get with the program" stance is all well and good in theory, but in reality it wouldn't work out so well. Hart would be cutting off his nose to spite his face if he demanded the players without respecting the club coaches.

BTW, DeRo did in fact miss a TFC match to go play in the Argentina friendly on the non-FIFA date. He flew directly from Vancouver to Buenos Aires for that game, while his teammates flew to Toronto and played a game vs. New England without him. De Guzman was also supposed to be on that flight to Buenos Aires.

I do appreciate the attempt at sarcasm, though.

Thanks for recognizing my attempt at sarcasm.

However, I'm forced to try again at my original point. What is the benefit of keeping the clubs happy? I can see the benefit during non-FIFA dates, and that the CSA should not push their luck but this is a FIFA date, and the CSA should assert some control here. Allowing the clubs to control the players benefits the clubs only, and the last time I checked, I was four when Canada was in a World Cup, and I can't even remember it.

That statement doesn't seem to make sense given that TFC did release both de Guzman and De Rosario for the Argentina game which was on a non-FIFA date ..., forcing them to miss a TFC game.

Not sure your point here ... even after your clarification above.

I'd think that the Argentina release would have had a price, presumably Hart did discuss that with Preki or TFC ... and they already knew about the September friendlies, and TFC's September MLS schedule at that time. I'd think that this is already a done deal, and has been for months. Though if they do call up all 4 TFC players, then I guess I'm wrong.

(hmm, perhaps Hart could call up White ... and keep him.).

I agree. The point of going with those experimental players was to find a diamond in rough? Or, more appropriately, who can play. Too early to say if Hart succeeded. But there there were certainly one or two from that group (Pacheco, Sidra and McCallum who come to mind) that deserve second look.

The point about core players: If we mean by core to be those who were part of the last WCQ efforts, then what is achieved by going back to the well with the group that you previously failed with. What is that saying again about the definition of insanity?

I didn't get to see the Venezuela match but of the three listed I wonder if Pacheco made enough of an impression to get a call for September. It sounded from reports here that he's got some technical savvy and could push for a spot in midfield which is a good thing because it might bring the very best out of the incumbent "core" guys who are first team regulars. If Hart choses to stay with a 4-3-3/4-5-1, his central midfield threesome may be JDG, Hutch, and Pacheco.

I think Hart needs to play his best available lineup for both matches.

Peruvian coach called up their international players for this game

Santiago Acasiete- Almeria - la liga

Carlos Zambrano - St Pauli - Bundesliga

Alberto Rodriguez- Sporting Braga - Portugal 1 division

Juan Vargas- Fiorentina - Seria A

Roberto Guizazola- Rosario Central - Argentina 2 division

Josepmir Ballon - River Plate- Argentina 1 division

Jefferson Farfan - Shalke - Bundesliga

Wilmer Aguirre - San Luis - Mexican First division

Claudio Pizarro - Werder Bremen - Bundesliga

Jose Carlos Fernandez - Deportivo Quito - Ecuadorian first division

Hernan Rengifo -AC Omonia - Cyprus first division

Only one missing there is Paolo Guerrero from Hamburgo who just came off an injury . It s also reported that Rodriguez and Rengifo wont play against Canada as Peru is playing two friendlies ( they will be on their second friendly) . Peruvian Coach still hasnt call the players from the peruvian league but it seems like Peru will be playing a 3-5-2 that would look something like this

---------------Butron

-----Galliquio---Acasiete----Zambrano

---Guizazola---Torres---Ballon-----Vargas

------Farfan----Pizarro----Aguirre

maybe J sanches ( soon to be cruz azul) and Reymond Manco ( still with PSV but on loan) may make a sub in

Peru will attack on the wings . Very dangerous with fast players like guizazola , farfan , vargas and aguirre. Weakest point is their defense as they have not play a 3-5-2 ever , and with rodriguez resting the first game , it will be tough ...

^ Thanks for the info about the Peruvian team, rick. Looks like a full (almost) " A " roster ...

Yes they just hired markarian as their new coach ( ex paraguay ) . So they are comming full squad to play against canada which should be a very good test for canada. Only starters missing would be guerrero ( coming off injury) ,rodriguez who is resting the first game and their goolie butron

This is a much different team from the last world cup qualifying where they suspended 4 players and a lot of them were injury , or not call up. Canada needs to watch out on the wings , as they will more than likely use their fast players ( vargas, aguirre , farfan and guizazola) to attack canada. Also peruvian center forward is deadly claudio pizarro , although he hasnt show a lot for their national team , he wasnt been used as a center foward ( coach decision) in the qualifying , now however he will be the man upfront.

However peruvian weakness comes in the center midfield , where only ballon from river seems to be the only one that secure a spot there , while the other spot will be filled by domestic players . In defense , it still remains to be seen who is replacing rodriguez and how well they do with only 3 at the back

Also peru is very week defending corners, free kicks , so maybe canada can take advantage of that

Here is the list of domestic players for peru

1. Raúl Fernández (Universitario)

2. Salomón Libman (Alianza Lima)

3. Jesús Rabanal (Universitario)

4. Walter Vílchez (Alianza Lima)

5. Antonio Gonzales (Universitario)

6. Rainer Torres (Universitario)

7. Luis Ramírez (Universitario)

8. Reimond Manco (Juan Aurich)

9. Luis Advíncula (Sporting Cristal)

10. Jean Tragodara (Alianza Lima)

11. John Galliquio (Universitario)

no much to highlight aside from manco ( on loan from psv) , tragodara ( had a good copa libertadores) . Very few good players missing from their domestic league J sanchez ( injured) , butron , ramos , hinostroza ( from san martin but have a league game), only butron is a starter , all the others are still average

I think it should be a pretty even game. I m gla peru is taking their A squad , and no some domestic team

Also peruvian center forward is deadly claudio pizarro , although he hasnt show a lot for their national team , he wasnt been used as a center foward ( coach decision) in the qualifying , now however he will be the man upfront.

He just buried what could be the winner for Bremen against Sampdoria, hopefully he doesn't get that much time and space against us. Yikes.

Archived