Peru/Honduras squad rumors/announcements/speculation thread

Keano

Thats a very nice squad just a couple concerns..

First, is Zavarise seeing time in Greece? Second, I don't agree with calling Issey and Im wondering where is Occean?! Klukowski is obviously missing due to his new club... overall about all you could ask for in a squad its good to see Atiba there even though hes new to PSV. I guess we couldn't get Hainault or Serioux? No Edgar once again... you really have to wonder

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess we see things differently because even during the latter stages of GC 09 I didn't think they played off of each other that effectively. I really believe that Klukowski (or de Jong for these matches) would benefit more in their own attacking initiatives if Will Johnson was the left flank guy: he starts there are RSL and does a quality job of making space inland and providing support for an overlapping fullback, probably better than Simpson.

As an aside, if we are going to see Stalteri start and break the caps record, it's too bad it couldn't have been coordinated with a 10th anniversary tribute to the GC winning team as well as a 25th anniversary tribute to the WCQ clincher in St. John's. There have been far too many lousy moments for the CMNT it's nice to acknowledge the few good times.

de Jong seems like a guy who could be used further up the pitch, in DM role. He's big, can tackle, and has a hell of a shot. This is why I hope Sidra can find a decent club and Martin John gets some minutes at Cardiff. Hopefully they can force Kluck to step up his game or allow him to slide over to CB and give us a more technical CB option.

^ I like DeJong as a LDM as well - playing a role not unlike Imhof did for us in earlier campaigns.

-Kluka's game is stepped up. He's 29 and just improved (albeit slightly) leagues after being admired by a respectable European club even mid-contract, and has been without a doubt our best player overall over the past couple years. He had a sub-par outing last time around but we definitely could use a few more players to step up their game for the national program to the extent that Kluka has.

-A few extra bits and bobs from the TSN article:

Hart elected not to further weaken Toronto's defence, leaving Adrian Cann out of his squad.

"We still have some things to work out with the club," Hart told a conference call Thursday. "And more than likely we will see how we can help each other on this."

"Other European clubs have asked for the same sort of concessions on their players," he added wryly. "These things have to be considered."

"Hart said experienced defender Mike Klukowski wanted to play but had a family issue and also had just joined a new club, Ankaragucu, in Turkey."

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=331718

So yes, as some of you predicted, expect a skeleton squad (with a few additions) in Mtl. It's bad enough we can rarely get two games back-to-back after months of inactivity. Now it's a given that the second one is optional. So much for team building. Bleh.

^ Stalteri (October '77) is 7 months older than DeRo (May '78).

Here's the new Honduran roster, they've made a few changes from the original list release last week:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honduras_national_football_team#Current_squad

I could see them lining up like this (or similar):

---------------Valladeres--------------

Mendoza--Figueroa--Palacios---Norales

-----------Garcia-------Claros-----------

--M.Martinez------------------Espinoza--

----------Rojas---------C.Martinez-------

I don't think McKenna's played up front for us since Holger left...

He played up front against Belize when Yallop was there. We used him as a forward against Honduras in the Gold Cup towards the end of the game to try getting that equalizer, but yes he doesn't play often up front.

First, is Zavarise seeing time in Greece?

I have been wondering this myself. There is very little information about him at Iraklis. When the squad numbers were announced last week, he was not on the list, and he does not appear on the first team list on the official website. On wikipedia, he is the only squad member to still not have a number. Hopefully it's nothing but maybe they are still negotiating some contract issues ?

I should mention that McKenna also has 9 goals for Canada in 46 matches but hasn't scored since 2005 which corresponds with about the time he became exclusively a defender. Not sure how many goals he scored while he was striker but it seemed like he used to go forward a lot more often in the past on corners or at the end of games when we needed goals even if he started the game as a defender.

Looking at this roster 24 hours later, I'm glad to see Hart resisted the temptation to call in Richard Hastings, even if our defensive left-side is looking a bit thin.

I think we're fine with DeJong playing there! Simpson also has experience at LB!

Here's who I would like to see in the starting 11

Lars

Straith Jakovic Nana De Jong

Peters JDG Atiba DeRo

Jackson Friend

Here's my line up suggestion/prediction for the Peru match:

--------------------Hirschfeld---------------------

Stalteri-------Attakora-----Jakovic------De Jong

----------Hutchinson------DeGuzman-----------

Peters---------De Rosario----------Simpson

--------------------Jackson--------------------

I'd be very surprised if Stalteri doesn't start. Otherwise, to quote from Top Gun, "I feel the need...the need for speed!" I'd go with speed merchants in the midfield/attacking positions to utilize the the traits of BMO Field (hard and very fast natural surface plus proximity of crowd to the playing area) to the fullest. We need to pressure Peru like TFC jumped Cruz Azul and see what happens. Hence, no room for Friend in my starting 11. If you play DeRo in an attacking mid/free role, then it looks more like a 4-3-3, so Hutchinson and DeGuzman will need to mind more of the defensive responsibilities and be cognizant of breaking down the opposition counterattacking aspirations.

In an ideal world we see Attakora, Peters or Straith start ahead of Diesel and maybe have him come on as a sub..

Im excited to see De Jong hopefully start at left back.. he's never got the chance playing behind Klukowski

I expect our boys to be comfortable and confident on the ball at BMO

Pizarro strained a thigh muscle today as Bremen defeated Koeln. Doubt we'll see him. McKenna scored in injury time in a 4-2 loss. Tied with Podolski and Novakovic with the team lead in goals :)

Here is the XI I would like to see vs. Peru

-----------------------Hirschfeld-----------------------

Attakora--------McKenna----Jakovic------De Jong

De Rosario---De Guzman-Hutchinson---Simpson

--------------------Jackson----------------------------

--------------------Friend-------------------------------

Neither Jackson or Friend have shown they can do it alone up front so I think its time to see what Jackson and Friend can do together...

The rest of the lineup seems like a no brainer to me, Attakora gets the start in Toronto Im sure he'll have a great match.. McKenna + Jakovic reunited, De Jong gets a shot at left back. In midfield we need De Guzman and Hutchinson to build chemistry together and we need our wingers DeRo and Simpson making good runs.. Simpson looked good in Turkey last season and I thought he was good at the 2009 Gold Cup, DeRo needs to have some good matches he's been MIA for a while

Pizarro strained a thigh muscle today as Bremen defeated Koeln. Doubt we'll see him. McKenna scored in injury time in a 4-2 loss. Tied with Podolski and Novakovic with the team lead in goals :)

I realize he played at CB for this match but do you think that the "forward" listing on the CSA press release was a typo? I don't have a problem with him renewing his partnership with Jakovic at CB for either or both friendlies (in fact, I thought he was better than the DC United man in GC 09 QF match, fwiw). He's a vocal organizer back there, a veteran pro to direct a younger player like Attakora (or Jakovic, for that matter). As for Attakora I thought his starting on familiar turf at BMO might would be advantageous.

I just can't see this team changing from the 4-3-3/4-5-1 style, but I'm looking forward to see what Hart does.

This is how we might start in a 4-3-3

-------------------------------Lars---------------------------------

Stalteri-----------Jakovic------------McKenna----------De Jong

--------Bernier-----------De Guzman---------Hutchinson--------

Johnson--------------------Friend---------------------De Rosario

Or in a 4-4-2 (less likely)

-------------------------------Lars--------------------------------

Stalteri-----------Jakovic------------McKenna----------De Jong

Bernier--------Hutchinson-------De Guzman--------De Rosario

----------------------Friend------Jackson-------------------------

I think we will see Nana come in at some point but he won't start, he only has one cap and I don't think Hart is going to thrust him into the starting 11 of our A squad just because we are at BMO, although it would be pretty cool :)

I have a feeling/I hope we finally get to see Peters at right back at some point. Straith could also play there as well but Hart may see him as a CB, in which case you have 4 pretty good options to choose from. With Honduras calling a B squad I think we may see Straith start in CB for the Montreal match, but I don't think he will start ahead of Jakovic for the Peru encouter. Mckenna is an obvious CB lock given his experience, and after Stalteri's farewell I expect him to become our captain, with DeRo as vice.

PS, im going to the cabin with the girlfriend on saturday, is anyone making a video/torrent of this match?

Archived