Peru/Honduras squad rumors/announcements/speculation thread

Keano

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no way Stalteri doesn't play both matches.

Those are the players I would like to see. Of course, if I'm trying to guess who Hart will play I would go with a 4-5-1 like this:

Lars

Stalteri Mckenna Jakovic De Jong

-----JDG-----Bernier-----

Peters----Hutch-------DeRo

Friend

Overall I'm pretty happy with those called. Obviously we'll miss Klukowski, but with his new club I think it's understandable that he would stay with them and establish himself. I can understand the case for Occean, he's played well to start his season. Hopefully he'll get called to the Ukraine friendly. It's tough to jump up and down about it though when you consider he's in B3. I would have preferred Pacheco over Zavarise but if Pacheco isn't fit why not give Zavarise the chance. Maybe he's not your prototypical prospect but not every player develops in the same trajectory. I'm happy to see Jakovic part of a first choice squad as well, I hope he seizes the chance and makes a case for a starting job.

We need competition for places, the young players have to bang the door down to get in and push the Stalteri's, Mckenna's, Friend's, Bernier's out of their places. No matter what we have to play the best line up. Two wins would do a world of difference for the outlook of the players as they build towards Gold Cup. Not to mention winning at home would help the public relations factor. It's always going to be an uphill battle until we start winning games. Too bad we don't see Hoilett or Bunbury but it's a process, and with improved results our chances of them committing get better.

As much as I respect Diesel's committment and history with the CNMT, if he passes Samuel in his current situation, then we are in way more trouble than we realize.

I think at this point it's a goodwill gesture more than anything. The guy has answered every call no matter what, it seems like if he was playing for the North York Astros he would have been called for these friendlies. I hope he proves me wrong and is in great form, after all he's still just 32.

Thanks! Good job!

A bit depressing to hear about the Edgar siutation.

On Teal Bunbury, David Hoillet and O'Brian White:

"I had contact with two of those players. David has been consistent with what he has said to the media in and has said to me that he is not ready yet to commit to Canada. He's still trying to establish himself at Blackburn. He has nt got the playing time that he got last year so far. And with Teal it was basically the same situation. He'd like to try and establish himself and play more consistently and gain more experience. "

Well, playing for Canada would do just that Teal!

The reality is he's waiting to see if he'll be good enough to play for the USA.

I don't know what's up between Hart and Edgar but you can't blame SH for not calling him after all the rejections! Fortunately CB is a position of depth for us (McKenna, Jakovich, Nana, Hainault, Straith and Cann)! It's too bad because I always thought he would be a good CB for us, though he doesn't seem to play there much at the club level when he does get the odd game, I think he's going to be left out of the mix!

Would anybody be shocked if we heard between now and the matches that one or more of the TFC players would be allowed to skip the Honduras match to return to club duty? I wouldn't.

That said, the Tuesday game against Honduras is the one where I think it's absolutely necessary to get a result. The Honduras squad is basically a B-team with a lot of young players with little experience, and it would be demoralizing to return to the scene of a crime (Saputo) and lose that one. I want 2-0 at the very least!

Would anybody be shocked if we heard between now and the matches that one or more of the TFC players would be allowed to skip the Honduras match to return to club duty? I wouldn't.

That said, the Tuesday game against Honduras is the one where I think it's absolutely necessary to get a result. The Honduras squad is basically a B-team with a lot of young players with little experience, and it would be demoralizing to return to the scene of a crime (Saputo) and lose that one. I want 2-0 at the very least!

I could see all of the TFC players being returned after the Peru match.

Really disappointed not to see Kluka....he's a very big part of this team and possibly the best left back in CONCACAF. He and Simpson have good chemistry and make us very dangerous on the left when they are clicking.

I'm hopeful to see Peters fight for a starting role with Diesel. Peters is playing, Paul isn't, so this is the time.

Would have loved to see Uccello get called in but until he starts playing regularly, I don't see it happen. Very curious to see Zavarise.

Really disappointed not to see Kluka....he's a very big part of this team and possibly the best left back in CONCACAF. He and Simpson have good chemistry and make us very dangerous on the left when they are clicking.

I guess we see things differently because even during the latter stages of GC 09 I didn't think they played off of each other that effectively. I really believe that Klukowski (or de Jong for these matches) would benefit more in their own attacking initiatives if Will Johnson was the left flank guy: he starts there are RSL and does a quality job of making space inland and providing support for an overlapping fullback, probably better than Simpson.

As an aside, if we are going to see Stalteri start and break the caps record, it's too bad it couldn't have been coordinated with a 10th anniversary tribute to the GC winning team as well as a 25th anniversary tribute to the WCQ clincher in St. John's. There have been far too many lousy moments for the CMNT it's nice to acknowledge the few good times.

By CBC Sports, cbc.ca, Updated: August 26, 2010 1:33 PM

Canada names squad for soccer friendlies

Canada names squad for soccer friendlies

National soccer team coach Stephen Hart has included three Toronto FC starters in his 20-man roster for Canada's upcoming pair of international friendlies.

Hart released the roster list Thursday, with defender Nana Attakora, midfielder Julian de Guzman and forward Dwayne De Rosario selected to play for Canada against Peru on Sept. 4 in Toronto and against Honduras three days later in Montreal.

The timing of the international friendlies couldn't come at a worse time for the Major League Soccer club, who is involved in a tight battle to claim a playoff spot.

Toronto FC visits FC Dallas on the same day as the Peru game and is also in action on the road against the Chicago Fire the day after the Honduras match.

The Reds have failed to impress away from home this season — with just one win in nine matches — and the absence of Attakora, de Guzman and De Rosario for these crucial pair of road games could have a detrimental effect on the club's playoff chances.

Hart hinted that he might use the trio sparingly, if at all, for the Honduras game so they will be rested and ready for the team's visit to Chicago.

"We still have some things to work out with the club and, more than likely, we will see how we can help out each other with this," Hart told reporters during a conference call.

Hands-off approach with Cann

Hart took a hands-off approach with defender Adrian Cann, who is having a solid debut season with Toronto FC.

"I didn't want to go in there in the middle of a season where MLS does not [take a break] for international games ... and ask TFC for [another player]," Hart admitted.

The Canadian coach also said several European clubs have asked him to limit their players' time on the field during the two exhibition games.

Hart revealed he had discussions with two players, winger David Hoilett (Jamaica) and forward Teal Bunbury (the United States), who are eligible to play for other countries, about participating in these games.

Hart said Hoilett is "not ready yet to commit to Canada" because he's first "trying to establish himself at [English club] Blackburn."

The same situation is preventing Bunbury, who plays with the Kansas City Wizards in MLS, from formally pledging his international allegiance.

"He explained that he just broke into the team," Hart said. "He'd like to try to establish himself so he can play more consistently and gain more experience."

Straith youngest on squad

At age 19, Energie Cottbus defender Adam Straith, who has two caps to his credit, is the youngest player on the squad. Hart explained it's part of his plan to try to give Canadian youngsters as many opportunities as possible so they can gain more international experience.

A 5-0 exhibition loss to Argentina in Buenos Aires back in May underscored Canada's depth problem.

"It's essential that we create some depth," Hart stated. "If you look at the Argentina game, it was very hard to put a squad together and quite frankly in a lot of positions we simply didn't have the necessary depth.

"Going into the qualifications for [the 2014 World Cup] I want to be sure in my mind, and all of the players are aware of positionally, what is required and what we're trying to do and how they fit into the squad."

Fellow defender Paul Stalteri, 32, is the most experienced player on the roster. Stalteri, who also pays in Germany with Borussia Monchengladbach, has earned 81 appearances for Canada — one shy of the national team record held by Randy Samuel.

Canada is No. 101 in the FIFA world rankings. Peru is 39th, while Honduras is 46th. The Canadian team's only previous meeting against Peru came on March 26, 1988, when it won 3-1 in Lima.

Canada last faced Honduras at the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup, losing 1-0 in the quarter-finals. The Hondurans also defeated Canada twice, including once in Montreal, in the qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup.

The Canadian team's next friendly is scheduled for Oct. 18 against Ukraine in Kiev.

CANADA'S ROSTER (pro club in brackets)

- Goalkeeper - Lars Hirschfeld (Valerenga/Norway)

- Goalkeeper - Haidar Al-Shaïbani (Nimes Olympique/France)

- Defender - Nana Attakora (Toronto FC/MLS)

- Defender - Marcel de Jong (FC Augsburg/Germany)

- Defender - Dejan Jakovic (DC United/MLS)

- Defender - Paul Stalteri (Borussia Monchengladbach/Germany)

- Defender - Adam Straith (Energie Cottbus/Germany)

- Midfielder - Julian de Guzman (Toronto FC/MLS)

- Midfielder - Will Johnson (Real Salt Lake/MLS)

- Midfielder - Patrice Bernier (FC Nordsjaelland/Denmark)

- Midfielder - Issey Nakajima-Farran (AC Horsens/Denmark)

- Midfielder - Gianluca Zavarise (Iraklis FC/Greece)

- Midfielder - Jaime Peters (Ipswich Town/England)

- Midfielder - Atiba Hutchinson (PSV Eindhoven/Netherlands)

- Midfielder - Josh Simpson (Turkey/Vestel Manisaspor)

- Forward - Kevin McKenna (FC Koln/Germany)

- Forward - Rob Friend (Hertha BSC/Germany)

- Forward - Simeon Jackson (Norwich City/England)

- Forward - Iain Hume (Barnsley FC/England)

- Forward - Dwayne De Rosario (Toronto FC/MLS)

Archived