Canadians on 2011 Whitecaps

Even if we get 5 Americans a la TFC, it looks like in the absence of any deals, Whitecaps need 11 Canucks. So who will they be? My somewhat irrational guess:

1. Lars Hirschfeld

2. Luca Bellisomo

3. Phillipe Davies

4. Chris Pozniak

5. Ethan Gage

6. Josh Simpson

7. Nik Ledgerwood

8. Paris Nakajima-Farran

9. Issey Nakajima-Farran

10. Randy Edwini-Bonsu

11. Rob Friend

Simpson, Hirschfeld, Friend and Issey aren't coming home yet I don't think

I think you might see Marcus Haber, Martin Nash, Shaun Saiko, Paul Stalteri, Richard Hastings... maybe a few Canucks already in MLS such as Jakovic, Hainault, Serioux...

Hirschfeld, Friend and Simpson are a stretch for coming back so soon, like Keegan pointed out, tho the Nakajima's could be a lock in my mind.

My 11 would be:

Sutton

Stalteri

Hastings

Jakovic

Edwini-Bonsu

Bellisomo

Nash

Gage

Davies

Nakajima-Farran

Nakajima-Farran

I also believe, Williams, Sements, Pozniak and other Canadians may factor in I believe we may see the Caps use more than the minimum domestic slots.

I'd love to see Jakovic. I doubt DC will let him go though. They did pay a transfer fee for him. Bunbury would also be a great addition too. We may also have some type of buyback on Straith, although I'd rather he stay in Germany.

I don't know that Friend has a lot of options from here. If he wants to play regularly, he will need to drop down a tier. As is, I doubt he makes more that 500k Euro. The Whitecaps could come close to that. The exact same logic would apply to Lars. The only one I'd be really surprised to see is Simpson as the large Turkish clubs seem to be taking an interest.

We're going to see a couple Residency guys, I'm sure, if only to make up the numbers. So give me Semenets and Teibert out of that crew.

Youngsters on the first team, give me Gage and Edwini-Bonsu.

Veterans who might make the jump are Nash (although not on merit) and Bellisomo. We could conceivably see one of the backup goaltenders - Thomas or Pelc - as well, since why not? If not them, it could also be a veteran like Greg Sutton or a kid like Adam Street, so let's count the backup goaltender as one Canadian as well.

So that's seven. I think you could find four more off the Pozniak tree without killing yourself on salary. The Nakajima-Farrans wouldn't be bad, although Issey probably isn't ready to come back and Paris, bluntly, isn't MLS quality. Paul Stalteri might not be ready to cash a Jim Brennan-sized paycheque in MLS either and anyway he'd hate playing on turf. If they can find a Nik Ledgerwood or Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault who's off contract in Europe and might come over for first team minutes like Marcus Haber did, I think you get a pretty good eleven.

Last time I read the roster regulations I was left with the impression that canadian teams did not need that many canadian players..

let's clear this up:

- 24 men total (maximum)

- maximum of 4 in developmental roster, minimum of 18 in senior roster, max 20

- of these 20, canadian teams are allowed 13 international, of which 5 are US players (these int'l slots are trade-able)

- the 4 developmental players may be canadian or int'l.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/regulations

so that means... the minimum canadian players the Whitecaps need, without trading int'l slots, is 5. (5 canadian seniors + 13 int'l seniors + 4 int'l developmental). I know it sucks to be trying to minimize the number of canadian players on the team, and I think that 5 is way too few so I hope I am mistaken. Somebody prove me wrong?

Look at it this way. Here's who I see making the move up to MLS from the current squad:

Canadians

Edwini-Bonsu

Haber (if he is bought back from West Brom)

Nash

Americans

Akwari

Janicki

Knight

Nolly

Moose (outside chance)

Wagner (outside chance)

Internationals

Akloul

Orgill

Stewart

Toure

Tsiskaridze

Please keep tired old Canadian MNT relics off our squad. Guys like Stalteri, Friend, Hirschfeld? Ugh.

Please keep tired old Canadian MNT relics off our squad. Guys like Stalteri, Friend, Hirschfeld? Ugh.

Friend would tear up the league especially if he got decent service.

Hirschfeld would one of the best goalies.

Stalteri would be an all-star.

VAN 2011 would be lucky to have these guys.

Simpson, Hirschfeld, Friend and Issey aren't coming home yet I don't think

I think you might see Marcus Haber, Martin Nash, Shaun Saiko, Paul Stalteri, Richard Hastings... maybe a few Canucks already in MLS such as Jakovic, Hainault, Serioux...

Isn't Shaun Saiko a member of FC Edmonton?

What about possible grabs in the expansion draft? I don't know how many each team can protect but that could cause problems for TFC if they can't protect all 4. I am also have a heavy bias of a build a young team and grow it. You will need some vets with experience but they will be mentors to the young ones over the first few years.

Canucks in MLS who might be available:

Nana Attakora TFC 21 - He would be my first choice if unprotected.

Adrian Cann TFC 29 - He would be my second choice if unprotected.

Julian de Guzman TFC 29 - Nope - We'll get our own DP when the time is right.

Dwayne De Rosario TFC 32 - As much as I love to see him play I'd pass.

Teal Bunbury Kansas City Wizards 20 - Highly unlikely

Andrew Hainault Houston Dynamo 23 - Possible

Edson Edward FC Dallas 21 - Possible

Ante Jazic Chivas USA 34 - Too old. I'd pass

Will Johnson Real Salt Lake 23 - Highly unlikely

Pat Onstad Houston Dynamo 42 - Too old. I'd pass

Adrian Serioux Houston Dynamo 31 - Possible. Sort of border line right now. I'd Pass.

Greg Sutton New York Red Bulls 33 - Not really an upgrade on Nolly, I'd pass

Andy Williams Real Salt Lake 32 - Too old, I'd pass

Nana Attakora TFC 21 - He would be my first choice if unprotected.

Adrian Cann TFC 29 - He would be my second choice if unprotected.

Dwayne De Rosario TFC 32 - As much as I love to see him play I'd pass.

I guess this is an interesting thought experiment, but you are delusional if you think TFC would leave unprotected:

- Its best young defender, and possibly Canada's best young defender (I don't care where Edgar has warmed the bench)

- The diamond in the rough that has helped turn TFC's defence into a stingy, formidable back line

- The top scorer, captain, and marquis/best player

Barring huge changes in TFC's roster or these players' perfomrance, there is simply no way that any of these three would be left unprotected for next year's expansion draft.

The only TFC domestic roster spot player that might be available is Gabe Gala, in my opinion. No way on Attakora, Cann, DeRosario, JDG and White unless the rules are drafted to force TFC to be more generous.

The basic premise of the numbers involved from the opening thread is incorrect. There has been an unannounced regulation change on the number of additional Americans available to Canadian franchises from 5 to 8 over and above the league wide quota of 8 international roster spots so as things stand the Whitecaps only need 8 domestic players.

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/04/tfc-roster-breakdown.html

Trades can be made for international roster spots to further reduce that. TFC currently have 3 additional international roster spots on that basis and therefore can sign 19 non-Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

I guess this is an interesting thought experiment, but you are delusional if you think TFC would leave unprotected:

- Its best young defender, and possibly Canada's best young defender (I don't care where Edgar has warmed the bench)

- The diamond in the rough that has helped turn TFC's defence into a stingy, formidable back line

- The top scorer, captain, and marquis/best player

Barring huge changes in TFC's roster or these players' perfomrance, there is simply no way that any of these three would be left unprotected for next year's expansion draft.

You forget that Moe is in charge? :)

"If available". I should have said "that's a really big IF". I doubt any of the TFC players will be available but I'd only be interested in the 2 CBs anyway. I don't know what the rules will be for the expansion draft next year and how many players they can protect. There could be a couple available and a couple highly unlikely. All are young and have potential.

Teal Bunbury Kansas City Wizards 20 - Highly unlikely

Andrew Hainault Houston Dynamo 23 - Possible

Edson Edward FC Dallas 21 - Possible

Will Johnson Real Salt Lake 23 - Highly unlikely

I don't think you'll get a guy like Friend yet unless you are willing to overpay, as was the case with JDG.

Besides some already mentioned, other Canadians that I would call into tryout camps include:

Occean

Pozniak

Bernier

Ledgerwood

Ademolu

Imhof

Stamatopoulos

Monsalve

Frank Jonke

Granted, none of them are really premium players but you will need players to fill roles like Gala and White do for TFC. Certainly Occean and Ademolu are as good as either of them in my mind, and Caps don't have a lot of promising Canadians that look ready for the jump up the first year.

Imhof and Bernier are aging but would be serviceable for a few more years (at least at MLS level), sort of Carl Robinson/Brennan/Jazic-types.

The way that they trial new Canadians would have to be a whole lot different than TFC did, since they won't be stuck with the same expansion model, so you can bring some of these guys as their contracts expire in Europe and test them out off-season beside their potential competition and see if they can be of any use to the club. And then possibly sign them.

Look at it this way. Here's who I see making the move up to MLS from the current squad:

Americans

Akwari

Janicki

Knight

Nolly

Moose (outside chance)

Wagner (outside chance)

Internationals

Akloul

Orgill

Stewart

Toure

Tsiskaridze

Some of those players might be eligible to count as Canadians under MLS rules. Have any of them taken out Landed Immigrant status here in Canada?

I have only caught one webcast and seen highlights, but my conclusion is that Teitur should definitely not be the coach in MLS: he ain't good enough.

He has never gotten us competitive vs. a main rival, Montreal, for example. You cannot consistently not compete against a rival team in your league and never turn the momentum around, that is a technical incapacity. Especially when the league proves they are not objectively superior.

As things are looking this year, with these results and this play, I think the restructuring will have to be that much deeper, that much wider. Vancouver is going to have to remake itself to handle MLS, otherwise we are going to have the worst season in Whitecaps history in our first year.

I don't think all the talk about dumping TT is correct. First he has achieved decent record in both league and V's Cup play. The problem of scoring goals is not just a matter of coaching. It is a matter of getting some players who can finish 1/3rd of their chances in and around the box. I think TT will be the coach for the first year in MLS. After that we will see how he does.

2009 was a horrible year with constant turnover on the crucial CB position and other problems on the team. Still he managed to get them organized and all the way to the finals. He is tactically strong and gets good results with a variety of players.

2008 = 15 - 7 - 8 (53 out of 90 points for 59%)

2009 = 11 - 10 - 9 (42 out of 90 points for 47%)

So 53% over 2 seasons (12 out of 21 so far this year for 57%) is not shabby. It is downright good.

Next year they will have some of the current, some expansion draft picks, some NCAA drafts, some foreign and maybe a DP to work with. I think keeping a coach who has demonstrated his ability to work with a wide variety of players will be crucial in the first year.

PS. Harmse at 26 (soon) and Gerba at 28 (soon) would be worth a look. Not sure about either or if either will be available. Gerba may prefer Montreal or back in Europe.

^I would agree that TT should be given a chance. Not that many coaches with North American experience have a better CV. Having said this, there is no salary cap on the manager. People might argue that you need MLS/USL experience, but I'm not sure this is true. It's not like John Carver was the greatest manager on the face of the earth and he was undone by crazy MLS rules and culture.

Archived