Canadians on 2011 Whitecaps

^I would agree that TT should be given a chance. Not that many coaches with North American experience have a better CV. Having said this, there is no salary cap on the manager. People might argue that you need MLS/USL experience, but I'm not sure this is true. It's not like John Carver was the greatest manager on the face of the earth and he was undone by crazy MLS rules and culture.

Exactly. I think Vancouver have people lined up to do various jobs and not try to be Jack of all trades master of none. I don't think TT will be director of player personel. He will be the coach responsible for getting the players he has to function in his system. If he needs some positions he lets the DOPP know what he needs and goes over the potential list he is provided for tryouts etc. What really messed TFC up for 3 years was 1 person doing a mediocre job of a lot of jobs.

Teitur cannot honestly be faithful to these players, only two or three are really good enough to be in MLS. I mean getting results, not holding their own and not being embarrassed. I did not think this way at the end of last season, but I do now. I have changed my mind.

The entire team needs to be reworked to raise its overall quality level. If Teiter keeps any more than 7 or 8, Nolly, a bit of youth and a touch of experience, we are going to suffer terribly.

And sorry, he is most definitely NOT good tactically, he is actually pretty poor. He can't coach proper transitions between the lines, he is weak in build up and relies on athleticism, we don't defend that well in critical moments, over and over the case.

We differ on TT's ability then. Given his situation with turnover he has done a very good job IMHO. The fact that we don't defend great all the time is to be expected at this level. That is more a concentration fault of the players than coaching. We have the fewest goals allowed in the league currently so we do defend very well but have lapses in concentration from time to time. Facing better strikers (like in MLS) we would have more goals scored against us.

He has also had 3 years to accustom himself to the North American game so he won't be like some Euro coaches who come over and are like fish out of water.

As to the players I think we agree on the general number who have a shot at MLS although I would say 5 or 6 could be starters and a total of 10-12 for depth players. There will be the expansion draft, NCAA draft, some current, some academy and possibly a DP so the competition for spots will be intense. That will be a good thing.

1. Frank Jonke

2. Stephen Ademolu

3. Marcus Haber

4. Randy Edwini-Bonsu

5. Nicolas Ledgerwood

6. Luca Bellisomo

7. Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault

8. Richard Hastings

9. Eddy Sidra

10. Martin Nash

11. Massih Wassey

Tyler Rosenlund would probably be a good signing... MLS experience, young and local

Tyler Rosenlund would probably be a good signing... MLS experience, young and local

Rosenlund trialed with the Caps last year and didn't make the cut. If he was deemed not good enough for USL, he isn't going to get a look for MLS.

Rosenlund trialed with the Caps last year and didn't make the cut. If he was deemed not good enough for USL, he isn't going to get a look for MLS.

He may come back on to the fringe when the domestic roster rules of the MLS kick in. Will he make it probably not, but I would imagine he'll be back in camp trying to slip in from the outside.

I imagine many, if not all, current Canadian players the Whitecaps bring up with them will be young projects. The only Canadian player older than 21 who could really contribute to an MLS team right now is Bellisomo. But perhaps they will take a lot of their current youngsters up with them and try to get some current MLS players for draft picks. I think Simon Thomas, Semenets, Gage, Davies, and Edwini-Bonsu could all start for the Caps in a few years time.

However, there are some Canadians abroad at the moment who would fit in perfectly with MLS Caps. Ornoch, Issey, Simpson (if they pay him enough), Stalteri, Beaulieu-Bourgault, Bernier, Occean and Monsalve could be very useful in MLS.

There are a few younger-ish canadians whose careers are in limbo that would be interesting to at least have on trial. Off the top of my head: Carlos Rivas (anyone have an idea where he is?), Ricketts, Zavarise, Massih Wassey, Sidra, Pacheco (the latter two both played really well last night)

I'd be willing to bet you could get 8-10 players off that list who could play at an MLS level for a reasonable amount of money. (3-5 more Canadians than TFC has anyway)

I imagine many, if not all, current Canadian players the Whitecaps bring up with them will be young projects. The only Canadian player older than 21 who could really contribute to an MLS team right now is Bellisomo. But perhaps they will take a lot of their current youngsters up with them and try to get some current MLS players for draft picks. I think Simon Thomas, Semenets, Gage, Davies, and Edwini-Bonsu could all start for the Caps in a few years time.

However, there are some Canadians abroad at the moment who would fit in perfectly with MLS Caps. Ornoch, Issey, Simpson (if they pay him enough), Stalteri, Beaulieu-Bourgault, Bernier, Occean and Monsalve could be very useful in MLS.

There are a few younger-ish canadians whose careers are in limbo that would be interesting to at least have on trial. Off the top of my head: Carlos Rivas (anyone have an idea where he is?), Ricketts, Zavarise, Massih Wassey, Sidra, Pacheco (the latter two both played really well last night)

I'd be willing to bet you could get 8-10 players off that list who could play at an MLS level for a reasonable amount of money. (3-5 more Canadians than TFC has anyway)

Sidra would be a great signing for the caps, I hope they try to grab him

• 2 weeks later...

Archived