Toronto FC @ Vancouver Whitecaps - Wed. May 19

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, after a great day, the rain has started here three hours before kick-off. Pretty windy, too. Hard to say how it will affect Swangard, but if it stays like this it might end up helping the rather defensively minded (at least in terms of stats) Caps in the same way that it has often has helped Canada to steal a match that they probably shouldn't get a result from on paper. Really excited for this one!

About an hour to kick off, haven't been this excited for an NCC game yet this year. Really hope this one is a cracker with a hint of possible controversy thrown in to wet the interests of the media (hey, every one of these NCC games SHOULD have been covered by at least CBCsports.ca, but alas they were not!). I still don't think Vancouver's gonna pull it out, unless James and Haber can combine up front, or Haber and REB. Haber on his own just doesn't look good enough right now to make magic happen.

Champions League draw was today. The Canadian Champion faces Honduran side Motagua (led by former TFC Midfielder Amado Guevara).

Holy, I envy the fans who'll get to jeer the hell out of Motagua, and a particular player. Question: TFC fan feelings towards Guevara?

Really hope this one is a cracker with a hint of possible controversy thrown in to wet the interests of the media (hey, every one of these NCC games SHOULD have been covered by at least CBCsports.ca, but alas they were not!). I still don't think Vancouver's gonna pull it out, unless James and Haber can combine up front, or Haber and REB. Haber on his own just doesn't look good enough right now to make magic happen.

Wow 25 minutes in and, I hate to repeat myself in this years Voyageurs cup, what terrible game! No sustained possession with constant change in possession and no quality scoring chances

0-0. We need to win in Montreal. Anything less than 3 points there it is over.

Game was very good with the Caps carrying most of the play and TFC looking for counters with Dero. Neither side had a great chance but neither was on target. Vancouver must have owned most of the statistics for this game but the only one that matters is the 0-0 score. Stream was great. I had no problems with it.

Haber impressed me too. He had a great meg and through ball in the middle in the first half. If he can deliver that kind of mental composure a full 90 he'll have a very bright future.

I think the only better attacker on the pitch from either side was Stewart. The guy's wonderful. And he may be just a kid and only 20 but I was praying he was going to tell his loud-mouthed right back to STFU.

Toronto attack was maudlin. No energy or verve. Think they could have played until morning and TFC wouldn't have scored.

Disappointed with the 0-0 scoreline, that game deserved a few goals. Haber finally looked engaged in a match, Stewart was brilliant the whole night and deserved a goal, Toure wasn't bad, and Tsiskaridze was fairly solid. DeRo probably should have put away that close-range chance in the second half, where he had the ball on the right side of goal but shot right at Nolly. White was absolutely fekin useless out there, as was Sanyang. Adrian Cann sadly had a poor match I thought. Boy did he get undressed early in the first half when Haber nutmegged him hard. I still say one of TFC's new mantras should be Yes We Cann (go on the 'Attak'ora), they were once again a solid pairing. Hope Nana is ok (might have to buy that nanananananana ATTAKORA shirt from the Yorkies :P).

Caps better give all they got in Montreal, it'd be a shame for the last match of the competition to be nothing more than ceremony. Have to say, though, that with Motagua being the first test of the CCL, it'd almost be fitting for TFC to go through and meet up with an old fiend. (no, I didn't misspell that)

Well...that looked like Canada's A team playing Canada's B team. Awful stuff for the most part, worse still if you are a TFC supporter I would imagine.

The good: Stewart is an absolute revelation; the diversity and industry of Haber's game; much of Wes Knight's evening; Caps' passing the ball around and keeping possession very confidently, albeit during small stretches.

DDR, Labrocca's creative flair in the second half.

The bad: Hirano's first half-dozen touches; Garcia's pace; most Whitecaps' corners; Gabe Gala only being able to run for 60 min in what should be a showcase match for him; Conway's form; OBW - was he even in the stadium?

The ugly: Akwari's first miss on the gimme header (easily the best chance of the evening); Most of the run of play, tbh; no JDG; only getting to see Attakora play for a half, Vancouver weather.

The person who posted (on here, I think) that TFC, aside from their 4 or 5 showpiece guys, is basically just a workmanlike D2 side was not too far off.

Caps are way off MLS quality and well off of their own higher standard from the end of last year. They probably wouldn't make it past a decent Honduran side even if they go through

You have to put TFC's performance in context: they were tired bunch! This has been a busy & long road trip for them. Let's see how well Vancouver performs when they face TFC in Toronto during their long road trip.

Anyway ugly game, but TFC still manage to get a point out of it. Now it's do or die for Vancouver next week.

The person who posted (on here, I think) that TFC, aside from their 4 or 5 showpiece guys, is basically just a workmanlike D2 side was not too far off.

Caps are way off MLS quality and well off of their own higher standard from the end of last year. They probably wouldn't make it past a decent Honduran side even if they go through

Yes this exactly the truth but yet TFC is doing much better against both USL and MLS teams with a USL quality side plus a few better players than they were doing before with what seemed liked more talent. Weird tonight in that the Caps have looked pretty crappy all year but tonight played by far their strongest game of the year and totally dominated TFC but couldn't score. Honestly it looked like a division 1 team against a division 2 team except for the Caps looked like the division 1 team. Yet it is this weird thing that the Impact play crappy against TFC, beat the Caps most of the time and the Caps are very strong against TFC. I think it means I need a new witch doctor because my current voodoo doll is very defective.

I thought of all this Voyageurs Cup matches this year, last night's was the best played of all of them.

What I took from this match was that, as unspectacular as he's been for most of his TFC career, Julian de Guzman is vital to the TFC midfield. If you can't win a midfield battle against Ricardo Sanchez and Luca Bellisomo, as the likes of Sanyang and Labrocca failed to do for most of the match, you've got problems.

Is there any news on Julian not making the trip to Argentina?

absolutely fekin useless out there, as was Sanyang. Have to say, though, that with Motagua being the first test of the CCL, it'd almost be fitting for TFC to go through and meet up with an old fiend. (no, I didn't misspell that)

For most of the game Sanyang was no more than a body getting in the way but that near miss in the 2nd was a corker!

I've been impressed by Haber's play.

Were you really by the end of full time though? He's definitely impressive with the ball in his feet but I just can believe a man that big can be so crap in the air. He didn't get his head on a single ball all night. I'm not saying every 6'3 forward needs to be an English target man, but merely that there's a minimum professional standard all players should be able to meet in the air regardless of size. Yikes, is all I can say about that.

Archived