Toronto FC @ Vancouver Whitecaps - Wed. May 19

^ I was absolutely impressed. He doesn't turn the ball over, keeps possession, has good feet and good pace. And he's got size. Bright future for him.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never thought I'd say this, but I think TFC really missed Barretts work ethnic upfront, with De-Ro. OBW looked out of place. As each game wears on, it seems more and more obvious that Barrette is the clear 1st choice striker, with OBW playing second fiddle.

With Barrett, Frei and De Guzman out of the lineup, TFC was missing a key figure in each of the 3 areas of the field, up front, midfield and defensively.

Considering all the other players (except De-Ro, Cann and Attakora) are easily replacable, this is probably the closest "B-Team" that Preki can come up with that's still relatively competitive at both the MLS and D2 level.

^^ Actually I think I am going to send Rudi my voodoo doll and hope it works as well for him as it does for me! :)

No need for a voodoo doll. TFC just needs some damned rest.

I was wary of this match for this exact reason. TFC traipsing all over the continent, playing a highly motivated opponent that has always played them tough, at the end of an arduous roadtrip. Credit where it's due, Vancouver's plan was obvious, and they neutralized TFC from the get go.

That said, they didn't score themselves, and now have to win two on the trot away from home. Toronto, for as ****ty it played against a much weaker opponent than it faced on the weekend, still managed to grab a draw (without JDG and Frei, and a number of starters only playing spot duty). Last year, this game goes completely in Vancouver's favour.

Anyway, now we get to see whether the "gentleman's agreement" between the three clubs to play the starters actually means anything to Marc dos Santos. I highly doubt it will, and I don't blame him for it.

And much of the chanting that Free Kick heard was from that pocket of TFC fans along the sideline. It was probably mic placement that allowed them to come through so clearly, but still hearing "can you hear Vancouver sing?" through the TV speakers was pretty funny. Oh and JM, FK is an original U-Sector member, so "his lot" caught on a long effen time ago. You're welcome for the Tic Tac Tabernac chant though, even though "you lot" have had many years to come up with an anti-Impact chant of your own.

I watched part of the game last night. It was sloppy, and not very entertaining. I was hoping for a TFC win, but a tie on the road is acceptable. Although, it does open the door up for Vancouver to take it.

Rudi, we have a veritable book of anti-Impact chants that we have written ourselves - some of which your lot have pinched. Glass houses and all that, eh?

I love glass houses. Everything is so warm inside. This one was already shattered though.

None of your "veritable book" was as loud as the Tic Tac Tabernac one when the teams met up in the V Cup match a couple of weeks ago. The best part is that it's actually an RPB chant. Those goddamned plastics don't contribute anything to the sport here, eh?

When more than 10% of the RPB songs are original, rather than lifted from other clubs, feel free to talk smack about that.

When more than 10% of ANY songs in sung in Canada - including those from your vaunted Southsiders' "veritable book" - are original rather than lifted from other clubs, feel free to act as smug as you are right now ;)

What leads you to believe that the Impact and the Whitecaps won't do the same? I don't know about the Caps but Richard Legendre (Impact VP) has said in interviews that they will actively target the 18-35 yr old market for 2012..

I mean the Caps and Impact FO's are not all complete morons that will just keep the status quo and do nothing and just keep their fingers crossed and hope to fill the stadium. I'm pretty sure that they are just as able to figure out what will work as all us soccer board know-it-alls..

I have to agree with El Hombre and Masster on this one. Although we wish to see all three markets succeed, there are differences and a uniqueness amongst all three market. For example, I have always believed that Montreal has an interest in the game and demographics to support the game. But pro soccer is equally a business and the economics of a market like TO and Montreal are quite different. There is just more wealth and disposable income in TO. A fan is not just someone who like and follows soccer but has to be someone who is able and willing to buy season tickets. And from my knowledge of both markets, there are far fewer of these types in Montreal compared to Toronto. And especially when it comes to that " actively targeted 18-35 yr old market..

You're welcome for the Tic Tac Tabernac chant though, even though "you lot" have had many years to come up with an anti-Impact chant of your own.

So for one game we used a chant started by the Red Patch Boys. Whoop dee f-ucking doo. I didn't know who came up with the chant, I just followed along after somebody started singing. Same goes for 98% of the other people in the Southside. If it offends you so much, we won't use it again. Holy s-hit, the world is coming to an end because someone copied a chant. Lets hang our heads in shame!

I don't understand this whole little dick syndrome. Yes, your stadium is bigger than ours. (Not directed at you Rudi but the Toronto supporters that were trying to 'offend' us by making fun of Swangard, which is very ironic because up until 5 years ago it was probably the best soccer facility in the country.) Guess what, in 2011 our stadium will be better than yours. Who gives 2 ****s about this garbage to be honest.

I have to agree with El Hombre and Masster on this one. Although we wish to see all three markets succeed, there are differences and a uniqueness amongst all three market. For example, I have always believed that Montreal has an interest in the game and demographics to support the game. But pro soccer is equally a business and the economics of a market like TO and Montreal are quite different. There is just more wealth and disposable income in TO. A fan is not just someone who like and follows soccer but has to be someone who is able and willing to buy season tickets. And from my knowledge of both markets, there are far fewer of these types in Montreal compared to Toronto. And especially when it comes to that " actively targeted 18-35 yr old market..

Thats why the Bell Center is empty every game, and the Als can't draw flies.

So for one game we used a chant started by the Red Patch Boys. Whoop dee f-ucking doo. I didn't know who came up with the chant, I just followed along after somebody started singing. Same goes for 98% of the other people in the Southside. If it offends you so much, we won't use it again. Holy s-hit, the world is coming to an end because someone copied a chant. Lets hang our heads in shame!

I don't understand this whole little dick syndrome. Yes, your stadium is bigger than ours. (Not directed at you Rudi but the Toronto supporters that were trying to 'offend' us by making fun of Swangard, which is very ironic because up until 5 years ago it was probably the best soccer facility in the country.) Guess what, in 2011 our stadium will be better than yours. Who gives 2 ****s about this garbage to be honest.

Speaking of your future stadium: I heard you guys going to have field turf instead of grass, and also I heard you guys are going to share your stadium with BC Lions? Any of this true? If so, then your stadium is going to be s***! Not a proper soccer stadium. I hope you guys don't have football lines on the turf either.

If it wasn't clear, I was just talking trash with BWA. It was lighthearted, and no ill will intended (from my end anyway. I can't speak for him.)

I just love the "plastics" thing that other supporters love to throw at some of my fellow TFC supporters, given that both Vancouver and Montreal will be relying on similar "plastics" to sustain their own MLS sides in upcoming years.

How about those Expos, eh?

What about them? They were the best team in baseball in 1994 and then the strike put an end to the season and they were forced to do a fire sale of all their best players.

Then enter a new owner (Jeff Loria) who killed the downtown stadium deal, purposely scrapped the deal to televise the games and as was discovered after his sole intent in buying the team was to ruin the franchise so he could justify moving the team. So as fans of a team who were the best in MLB and then you go to seeing all your best players liquidated, an owner come in and yank any TV presence your team has and kills a deal for a new stadium is it that surprising that the attendance dropped to such low levels? Especially when the owners sole intent was for that to happen so he could move the team.

The Expos were near the top of the league in attendance for years in the 70's and 80's when they were managed properly and were competive or even somewhat competitive.

Kinda like how the Jays were doing the same in the easrly 90's with their new building and champioship teams and now their drawing flies, right? The only difference is that the Jays have a wealthy ownership group behind them or they could easily suffer the same fate, especially if they were bought up by someone whose sole intent was later discovered to be to ruin the team so he could move them.

How about your lack of context and knowledge, eh?

Thats why the Bell Center is empty every game, and the Als can't draw flies.

And that's why the Impact already has 4,500 season tickets in D2 soccer..

It's exactly this thinking that has me worried. The underlying assumption is that if fans go out to see the Als and the Habs in numbers, they'll be bound to go out to Impact MLS games. That's a hell of an assumption to make.

TFC's success at the gate was due to a lot of hard work. Paul Beirne came on here to fish for ideas to make going to Toronto games an event. This led to the creation of sanctioned supporter sections and the rise of numerous supporter groups. All of that work then culminated in the seat shower after Dichio scored the first goal. It was that moment that got people to come back. Working hand in hand with the supporter groups and creating an exciting atmosphere in the stadium for every game is why they have a waiting list that's as long as it is. Without that atmosphere that they worked to create, there's no way people would still be waiting for season's tickets and even getting tickets to single games would not be as difficult.

My entire point is that TFC's off field success is no fluke and isn't just because an MLS team arrived in town. It was through a fair bit of hard work. I am hoping that both the Impact and Whitecap front offices realize this and put as much effort into their own organizations. I am too cynical to just assume that they understand this and are working towards it. Especially because it was my understanding that the Impact FO and UM02 were not on the best of terms.

It's exactly this thinking that has me worried. The underlying assumption is that if fans go out to see the Als and the Habs in numbers, they'll be bound to go out to Impact MLS games. That's a hell of an assumption to make.

TFC's success at the gate was due to a lot of hard work. Paul Beirne came on here to fish for ideas to make going to Toronto games an event. This led to the creation of sanctioned supporter sections and the rise of numerous supporter groups. All of that work then culminated in the seat shower after Dichio scored the first goal. It was that moment that got people to come back. Working hand in hand with the supporter groups and creating an exciting atmosphere in the stadium for every game is why they have a waiting list that's as long as it is. Without that atmosphere that they worked to create, there's no way people would still be waiting for season's tickets and even getting tickets to single games would not be as difficult.

My entire point is that TFC's off field success is no fluke and isn't just because an MLS team arrived in town. It was through a fair bit of hard work. I am hoping that both the Impact and Whitecap front offices realize this and put as much effort into their own organizations. I am too cynical to just assume that they understand this and are working towards it. Especially because it was my understanding that the Impact FO and UM02 were not on the best of terms.

I don't want to speak for the group but considering the FO has meetings with UM02, stores flags and banners for them, turned section 114 into general admission and removed seats in the section to create a terrace at the request of the group, I'm pretty sure the relations they have with the team are a lot better then they were...

You just crapped on everything Joey Saputo has done with the Impact since 1993. Sure tickets are and have been given away, but people show up. The Impact name is recognizable through out Quebec, so you're comparison with TFC doesn't hold, as they started from scratch. What makes you think, that people won't be willing to pay a little more for a better product,i n a better stadium?

FYI the Impact will be "marketed" this Sunday against Fiorentina, and on June 2nd against AC Milan. The planning for MLS has been going on for years, If you bothered to do some research, you would realize, that the reason the stadium is full, is that the demand is there. Otherwise you would have run out of people to give tickets to, in the club's 17 years of existence.

Archived