Toronto FC @ Vancouver Whitecaps - Wed. May 19

Doesn't stop him from being a cheapskate. He thought he could get away with paying less and it blew up in his face.

Exactly. Mr. Impact can't see past the fact that a couple of people from Toronto are just repeating what everyone knows and a lot of Montreal people have posted in the past.

Joey Saputo and his arrogance are what kept Montreal from MLS until now. He thought he could continue to lowball the league on the basis that "MLS needed Montreal" and the league called his bluff. Once both Toronto and Vancouver were in, Joey was all of a sudden willing to pony up the full $40 million fee to join the big boys club, lest he be left behind in the shambles that is D2 soccer in North America.

I'm happy that he did, of course, as it's great for Canadian soccer, but that doesn't change the past and why Saputo didn't get Montreal in years ago.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. Mr. Impact can't see past the fact that a couple of people from Toronto are just repeating what everyone knows and a lot of Montreal people have posted in the past.

Joey Saputo and his arrogance are what kept Montreal from MLS until now. He thought he could continue to lowball the league on the basis that "MLS needed Montreal" and the league called his bluff. Once both Toronto and Vancouver were in, Joey was all of a sudden willing to pony up the full $40 million fee to join the big boys club, lest he be left behind in the shambles that is D2 soccer in North America.

I'm happy that he did, of course, as it's great for Canadian soccer, but that doesn't change the past and why Saputo didn't get Montreal in years ago.

Last post on this topic, then I'm done.

Joey Saputo has been in Contact with MLS, way before the recent expansion. Even Before the creation of TFC . Many forget, that both Tampa and Florida folded leaving the league with ten teams after 2001. At the same time, The Impact were beginning to fill CCR, and talks were held with MLS, but IMFC was not ready to make the Jump. Thats what I was referring to,

In the Last round, Joey did indeed get Greedy, but that doesn't mean he couldn't afford the expansion fee.

If it wasn't clear, I was just talking trash with BWA. It was lighthearted, and no ill will intended (from my end anyway. I can't speak for him.)

I just love the "plastics" thing that other supporters love to throw at some of my fellow TFC supporters, given that both Vancouver and Montreal will be relying on similar "plastics" to sustain their own MLS sides in upcoming years.

Hey Rudi,

I know. But as you can, others aren't so lighthearted.

Let me clarify plastics at least from my point of view. I don't have a problem with all the new people coming on board in Toronto, Seattle, Vancouver, wherever. More football supporters is great and I don't care where they come from or why. What I do have a problem with is the arrogance and sense of superiority that some of these johnny come latelys have. They are so quick to put down our team, our stadium, our supporters. Well you know what, we didn't need a shiny new stadium or new league to support local football. To understand how stupid this is, it would be like Seattle fans making fun of Toronto fans because your stadium is too bare bones and isn't big enough and that there are empty seats even though the tickets are sold. How stupid is that?

Speaking of your future stadium: I heard you guys going to have field turf instead of grass, and also I heard you guys are going to share your stadium with BC Lions? Any of this true? If so, then your stadium is going to be s***! Not a proper soccer stadium. I hope you guys don't have football lines on the turf either.

I'm sorry, did you not just have a stadium with field turf and share it with a lacrosse team? So by your logic, Swangard was better than BMO last year?

Do you not think Qwest field is a better facility than BMO? It has turf and is shared with a throwball team.

I would add that TFC did benefit from: new ownership, being a new team, in a new, league, with a new stadium, with all new players, with new team name, and jerseys, new logo.. etc. Everything was was new and new branding meant that any association to the previous brand (AKA Lynx) was severed. So in the minds of the average fan, they are not thinking of an upgraded Lynx team/brand.

But in the other two cities, thats not the case, the brand is pretty much still in tact and although they may a good brand to us loyal soccer fans who know the game, to the average person it still the same same teams playing in what is supposed to be a stronger league. The brand is still asoociated with: a team that plays in front of 4-6K fans ( in Van) or 9-12K in Montreal in make shift parksa and that appeared on page three to five of the sports pages.

Exactly, and this does worry me.

As someone who has far more actual contact with RPB then anyone in Vancouver, Montreal or elsewhere, I can honestly say that the RPB attitude that TFC "invented" anything relating to soccer support is actually an "invention" of rival supporters from other cities.

Sure, there may be the odd douchebag from that group that boasts about creating supporters culture in Canada, just as there are *******s in every group no matter the size, but those who actually are involved with running the group - along with the VAST majority of its members - do not take that view at all.

Just because it's become an internet meme that TFC supporters believe they "invented everything", that does not make it true.

On the flip side of that, is the supporter from (pick whichever longstanding USL/USSFD2 club's group) who refuses to acknowledge any of the progress that has been made in Toronto. It's perpetuated to this day, even on this very board. TFC fans can't be prousd of the supporters culture we've built here without being called plastics.

It's a madenningly ridiculous double-edged sword.

You are probably right on all of this. At the end of day though, it is the squeeky wheel that gets the grease and the odd T-O douchebags have created an image for the entire group, just as one Evil Bert television appearance has done for the Southsiders.

Now that I got all of that out of the way...

I think Wednesday night's game was the best football we have seen so far in this tournament. The Whitecaps looked much better then they have over the last couple of games. I think part of that has to do with a Toronto team that obviously was not very hungry. And while a draw may have been good for the tournament as a whole, I think it will be irrelevant in the large scheme of things because I don't see the Caps getting a W in Montreal.

Archived