Toronto FC @ Vancouver Whitecaps - Wed. May 19

De Rosario and Cronin could play circles around the best Vancouver's midfield could offer even if it was fully healthy, which it really really isn't. Their depth at that position is as good as Vancouver's starters, and we've seen how much the Whitecaps mid stinks at getting service into the strikers or preventing opposing runs even against USSF D2 opposition.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
De Rosario and Cronin could play circles around the best Vancouver's midfield could offer even if it was fully healthy, which it really really isn't. Their depth at that position is as good as Vancouver's starters, and we've seen how much the Whitecaps mid stinks at getting service into the strikers or preventing opposing runs even against USSF D2 opposition.

Sounds like somebody's hedging their bets.

Take DeRosario and DeGuzman out of the picture, and the rest are run of the mill D2 mids.

Yes, because those of us who decided it wasn't worth commuting an hour to the outskirts of the city to watch Martin Dugas run with his head down into a wall of defenders aren't "real footy fans".

Sorry to pull this thread off topic again, but I can't let this comment go unchallenged.

Proper football fans would turn up even if it was just PDL-calibre on show, if that was the best their city had at the time. I've seen better support at an English seventh-division match than I saw at Toronto they when had D2.

Bravo to the Toronto Ultras (now the U-Sector) for turning up and supporting through the Hartrell years. None of the newcomers can hold a candle to their commitment, IMHO.

Cronin's form is not the best this season, although based on talent he should be able to run through any D2 midfield fairly easily. We all know that this game is not only based on talent, though.

I'm quietly confident that TFC can wrap up the NCC on Wednesday. Toronto's form over the past four matches is far above that of Vancouver's, so TFC should be the odds-on favourite.

That said, Vancouver has always been a tough opponent for TFC, especially at Swangard (where TFC has never won). The Caps deserve a lot of respect from Preki and company. Especially since it looks like one of the two best players will sit this one out.

I honestly believe that a guy like Chad Barrett will be the key. He can cause opposition D fits, as he did against Chicago, Montreal and LA over the past ten days. If he is able to continue that form, DeRo will be free to do what he does best for his club.

Also, I think you Caps fans will barely recognize Adrian Cann's game. It's like he's a whole new man out there next to Nana Attakora. I originally thought of him as a cheap CB injury cover, but he's quickly become the best TFC acquisition of 2010.

Zzz. I could not be more bored by this thread.

On another note, I can not see Vancouver winning wednesday, even though I'd like them to win their first Nutrilite Championship. The skills on display saturday were not impressive enough to convince me of the contrary... Especially ''disappointed'' with Haber, but true that Tsitkaridze (?) is pretty dangerous. Moose is good on set plays, Sanchez too, maybe they can capitalize on that... I am also disappointed that I have not been able to see Akloul play.

For the tournament's sake I really hope Vancovuer wins and I think they still have a good chance. Toronto has had two tough road matches in the last week and Vancouver is much better than they showed in the game against Montreal. I think the Whitecaps have a good shot at taking over first place by the time these two teams meet in Toronto. But the ironic part is Montreal could screw Vancouver yet again next week...

Sorry to pull this thread off topic again, but I can't let this comment go unchallenged.

Proper football fans would turn up even if it was just PDL-calibre on show, if that was the best their city had at the time. I've seen better support at an English seventh-division match than I saw at Toronto they when had D2.

Bravo to the Toronto Ultras (now the U-Sector) for turning up and supporting through the Hartrell years. None of the newcomers can hold a candle to their commitment, IMHO.

I'll agree with you on one thing, kudos to the U-Sector for putting up with that sorry excuse of a team. IMO, they weren't worth it. 2 hour round trip for Busby's rag-tag crew? **** dat.

Taka comes on as a sub and feeds some brilliantly placed crosses into his forwards who score and Caps pull out a win! I was glad to see Taka back on Saturday. He is always fun to watch and offers a real left side threat. I can see the Caps starting a 4-5-1 with Haber up top. He has shown his ability to hold the ball up very well and will do a great job on Wednesday. Cheers

I am not nearly as confident about this game as I was when the season started. In fact, its a total 180. The Whitecaps have had problems keeping possession, and with Nash not in this game, it will only be worse. They managed to get a victory last year without Martin, but Gage and especially Chin played out of their skin that night. With Steele gone there are no alternatives and I don't think Luca and Sanchez can get the job done. The Whitecaps only hope is to have their tricky wingers attack TFC's card prone fullbacks, Usanov on the right and perhaps Garcia (although his last games have been pretty good) on the left.

Yes, no De Guzman helps, but I have nightmares about De Rosario and Barrett abusing Janicki.

To be honest, I would take a draw out of this game.

As with the US Open Cup, it would be a mistake for any D1 club to underestimate a D2 club -- especially when that D2 club has a lot to prove while preparing for MLS.

I think this match will be a lot closer than many think.

I expect either a draw (which keeps the Whitecaps alive) or a 1-0 Toronto win.

If the Whitecaps draw or win, they will play their next game with Toronto in the midst of a very tough schedule congestion. It would not be unthinkable to see them win the voyageurs Cup at BMO.

The Caps distributed the ball a bit better on Saturday than they have in past games, but they could have easily lost to Montreal. It's a really big question as to where the goals are going to come from. I don't see TFC ripping the Caps defense open, but it will be hard to come back if Vancouver goes down even by a goal!

On another note, we're having light rain today and Wednesday calls for morning sunny periods and a 60% of light rain in the afternoon and evening. Should be decent, if not ideal conditions for the match.

The Caps distributed the ball a bit better on Saturday than they have in past games, but they could have easily lost to Montreal. It's a really big question as to where the goals are going to come from. I don't see TFC ripping the Caps defense open, but it will be hard to come back if Vancouver goes down even by a goal!

On another note, we're having light rain today and Wednesday calls for morning sunny periods and a 60% of light rain in the afternoon and evening. Should be decent, if not ideal conditions for the match.

What's the status of Marlon James?

I really see a tale of two teams. One struggling to score (WFC) and One that seemingly scores for fun, but struggles at the Back (TFC)

Although TFC is coming around chemistry wise, the Caps can win this game, although a draw is more likely considering the Caps haven't conceded at home yet this season, save the 1 goal in the NCC game vs Montreal.

I know the likes of DeRo and Barret etc are different than the sort of attack WFC face in D2 competition, however the back line is a force, and the team defends quite well as a unit. I agree with mass about attacking up the flanks and at the slower card prone full backs, the problem is that means you need to cross the ball more than not, and the Caps have ZERO box presence at all this season so far... The one thing we miss with Gbeke off.

Since the CMNT camp started yesterday i wasn't sure if Dero and De Guzman would actually be making the trip to Vancouver. It appears they are:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/midfielders-leave-after-vancouver

"Both players will depart for Argentina after Toronto FC’s Nutrilite Canadian Championship match in Vancouver May 19 and re-join the team in San Jose for their next league match on Saturday, May 29.."

I really see a tale of two teams. One struggling to score (WFC) and One that seemingly scores for fun, but struggles at the Back (TFC)

I don't know if I'd say that TFC has been struggling at the back in their most recent games. They have conceded 3 goals in their last 6 games in all competitions, so I think they are rapidly sorting things out. As others have pointed out, the flanks may be a bit softer, but the CB partnership of Attakora and Cann has been looking really good in the last few outings.

I don't know if I'd say that TFC has been struggling at the back in their most recent games. They have conceded 3 goals in their last 6 games in all competitions, so I think they are rapidly sorting things out. As others have pointed out, the flanks may be a bit softer, but the CB partnership of Attakora and Cann has been looking really good in the last few outings.

Yea I'd agree with that. The back trio for TFC (Frei, Attakora, Cann ... FAC You?) has been the reason for their recent form. If TFC start Garcia I hope we put REB on and run right past his slow ass. That will cause one of the CBs to cover which could create some openings in the middle. It should be an interesting duel in front of TFC's net with Haber in there.

Couple of updates. Marlon James will likely be on the bench. Also, the weather forcast has changed. We could have periods of heavy rain this evening, along with winds of up to 70 kph. Swangard is pretty far from the coast, so wind doesn't really impact it as much. But it could be messy tonight.

The Sun said that Martin Nash might beon the bench too. Weird about he weather, because it is beautiful this morning.

Environment Canada

Tonight:

Rain. Risk of a thundershower early this evening. Amount 10 to 15 mm. Wind southeast 20 km/h increasing to 50 gusting to 70 this evening then becoming south 20 overnight. Low 9.

Weather Network's hourly table

7 pm 14°C Light rain

8 pm 13°C Cloudy with showers

9 pm 12°C Mainly cloudy

Archived