Canadians MIA/UI List

nolando

I was hoping for more but it's not entirely surprising. He's with a Costa Rican club but it's one of the best - that is not a tough nut to crack for a guy who had trouble getting minutes with Valladolid's B team. The top teams in Honduras and Costa Rica routinely hold their own against MLS clubs in champions league and we would not expect Aleman to walk into any MLS starting 11. We'd expect him to initially struggle to get minutes and that seems to be exactly what we are witnessing here. Hope for him to make a break through at some point in the season though....but it won't be easy.

Wonder if they'd loan him out to another team in the league?

I think Aleman above anyone else would be disappointed, especially with his talk of taking a step back to move forward.  You have to think he came to Costa Rica with the idea of getting PT

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Entraînement d'#IMFC ce matin (eh oui). Adam Straith est présent. #CanMNT

Adam Straith training with the impact this morning.

Be careful not to read anything into that though, lots of European guys train with our MLS clubs in their breaks.  Including both Hoilett brothers last year, if you guys recall.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still listed for last year. But if you look at that article he successfully competed in the tryout and will participate in some upcoming games. 

(EDIT) He was previously with Lansing United - http://lanunited.com/team/roster/

That was a one time friendly for Arizona.

Pasher is still involved with Lansing United.  It appears he is invited to the NPSL combine which is held in conjunction with the MLS combine to showcase players to USL Pro, NASL and MLS scouts.

http://lanunited.com/newspage/rudland-coach-npsl-combine-three-united-players-invited/

"Pasher was named to the NPSL Supporters’ XI team and is coming off of trials with MLS’ Toronto FC and the NASL’s Minnesota United. Having primarily played midfield and forward with United, Pasher features as a left back when playing at the international level for Canada."

I ran into Peters this past summer on Queen west.  Looked out of shape to say the least.  

Quite a fall for a guy who's still only 27 and was a starting right-back in the Championship under Roy Keane at Ipswich.  At the time de Vos had said he "fell in with the wrong crowd" or something to that effect, maybe needed to get out of England for his own benefit.  Unfortunately the limited pro teams here at home mean he didn't have many options

Quite a fall for a guy who's still only 27 and was a starting right-back in the Championship under Roy Keane at Ipswich. At the time de Vos had said he "fell in with the wrong crowd" or something to that effect, maybe needed to get out of England for his own benefit. Unfortunately the limited pro teams here at home mean he didn't have many options

Heard he liked his partying and drank a lot at the clubs till the wee hours of the morning.

Last summer i saw paul stalteri walking around bloor and university. Looked pretty fit.

Heard he liked his partying and drank a lot at the clubs till the wee hours of the morning.

Last summer i saw paul stalteri walking around bloor and university. Looked pretty fit.

I did used to see him out quite a lot in Ipswich, so there's a lot in that rumour. Also there were rumours he was a bad trainer/had off pitch problems which was why every new manager who came in dropped him until he forced his way into the squad.

Real shame, I still remember him having Arshavin deep in his pocket in the league cup semi final only to be dropped by Paul Jewell when he took over for the next leg

Yeah it's not uncommon. Dunfield has some pretty crazy stories of the ridiculous things he was doing as a kid with Man City, and contrasts it with him living with Wright-Phillips who was content to spend all his spare time playing video games.

I also ran into Peters at my building … either last summer or the one before … and he made some weird comment as we passed through the door and I really had to bite my tongue to not let him know I knew who he was and that he should be out training instead of partying late lol

Article on Straith from prior to the Iceland games. He mentions that he had a couple of options. I wonder if he considered one of them the Impact at that time. I guess Austria was on the list too.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/adam-straith-back-with-national-soccer-team-1.1731329

Adam Straith of Victoria remains in the unique position of being one of the few unattached players in the world to regularly earn caps for his national team.

Straith, without a pro club contract since playing for SV Wehen Wiesbaden of Germany in 2013-14, is among 24 players invited to the Canadian camp in Orlando for the two friendlies against world No. 33 Iceland on Friday and Monday at the University of Central Florida.

“It has been a frustrating couple of months,” said Straith, a 24-year-old defender out of the Bays United who has been capped 18 times.

“With most of the leagues either starting their preseason or getting off their winter break, January is a better time to be looking for clubs. I do have a couple of options I am in the process of deciding on, and will be most likely heading there after these two games.”

Meanwhile, Iceland is an intriguing opponent. It came within one game, a playoff loss to Croatia, of qualifying for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, which would have made Iceland the smallest country ever to qualify. Iceland then knocked off the Dutch in early Euro 2016 qualifying.

“These are going to be two very difficult games,” said Straith, who stayed fit by working out in Victoria.

“Iceland has never really been known as a powerhouse, but has now made a name for itself after wins against Turkey and the Netherlands. This is a chance for us to play against a team we should be trying to emulate. It will be a good test for us to start a big year.”

With most of the European-based players unavailable as the camp doesn’t fall in a FIFA international window, head coach Benito Floro has called in a predominantly North American-based squad as Canada prepares for FIFA World Cup 2018 qualifiers in June, as well as this summer’s CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Meanwhile, defender Emily Zurrer of Crofton and her Canadian women’s teammates have already won the four-nation BaoAn Cup in Shenzhen with 2-1 victories over both South Korea and Mexico. But today’s final against host China is still important because this is the team against which Canada will open the 2015 FIFA World Cup on June 6 in Edmonton.

• 1 month later...

Archived