2010 Voyageurs Cup

Except Toronto hosted the final game in year one. How did they determine that?

Because we're the centre of the universe. Duh! :P

I assume the clubs simply came to some sort of consensus, and put the "glamour game" (Toronto vs. Montreal) in the biggest stadium.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think since the NASL-USL schedule is not out yet but MLS is, they had to keep things open and clear and wait on a few things we don't know. Who knows if Whitecaps are slated to be on the road a weekend near that last V-Cup date, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

It is all random enought to not start into speculating about fairness, I can live with it. Win your games and don't worry what third parties do, there seems to be no other way.

Cool what Preki said comparing the US Open Cup and the Voyageurs Cup attendance. Hundreds of spectators at the US and 96% full in Canada. We rule baby!! ;)
Well to be fair they've only had about 95 years in the USA to build up the tournament ... :)

It was quite an afternoon and I made some people smile since I asked Pater Montopoli to explain the story behind "OurVoyageurs Cup",which he did and very correctly. At least all the media present were much better informed.

I had an opportunity to speak to Nutrilite's Canadian marketing manager and wearing various soccer hats I reminded him of the history of the Cup, our membership in numbers across Canada and if they would be interested in being a sponsor of our group. He said he would sent me his email address to further discuss the potential involvements.

He did and indicated that his budget for this year was set already. I will keep you posted if any further developments occur.Does not hurt to keep on corresponding and keep that fire alive.

It was indeed funny to be made aware of the power we have in numbers in Canada when it comes to these type of tournaments and especialy related to that US cup. I guess the MLSE guys and Paul in particular have changed the face of soccer in Canada and even North America.Yes the stadiums will be rocking and all these supporters groups will have one whale of a time.Just watch these legendary Canadian supporters we started it all in North America.The Voyageurs Cup is one uniqye baby and worth playing your heart out for.It is very special.

Yes ... thanks to John TV for prompting an explanation from the CSA on the background to the Voyageurs Cup. CSA initially seemed to concentrate on the "Nutrilite Canadian Championship" with little reference to the Voyageurs!

And nice article here from Dennis Fitter who makes sure the Voyageurs and the Voyageurs Cup are prominently mentioned (and photo'd).

Voyageurs Cup on the line in Nutrilite Canadian championship series.

February 5, 12:55 AM Soccer Examiner Dennis Fitter

The Canadian Soccer Association unveiled the format and schedule for the 2010 edition of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship series at a Toronto press conference, Thursday afternoon. Now entering its third year, this is a series of matches – featuring Vancouver Whitecaps, 2008 winners Montreal Impact, and cup holder Troronto FC – to determine Canada’s top professional team. At stake is the Voyageurs Cup which is emblematic of soccer supremacy in Canada and the right to represent our country in the CONCACAF Champions League.

The neat-and-tidy slate of matches announced by Association President Dr. Dominique Maestracci is clearly an improvement upon other years, making it much easier for fans to follow.

Toronto FC hosts the Impact Wednesday April 28 to start it off, with matches to go consecutive Wednesdays until the final match-up with Toronto at home to Vancouver on June 02. All matches are night games and all will be televised live by Rogers SportsNet.

Each team was represented at the press conference by their coach who fielded questions primarily themed on significance they attach to winning this competition in light of their obligation to perform in their respective leagues.

The directive set down by the CSA and agreed by each club obligates each to field their best available eleven players.

Teitur Thordarson whose Vancouver Whitecaps had the Voyageurs Cup in their grasp last season – until TFC pulled off a remarkable 6 – 1 victory over Montreal to win on goal difference at the wire – was most adamant about wanting to go out and prove themselves and “create excitement for both our club and our supporters”.

For Impact coach Marc Dos Santos, there must exist the intelligence to balance a commitment to winning the league with what it takes to put in a solid effort to do well in the Canadian championship. “We will do everything to have the chance to re-live our feats of 2008.”

Preki took time to stress just how surprised he is to see the seriousness, enthusiasm and support the Voyageurs Cup receives in Canada compared to the indifference he saw for the US Open Cup during his 20 years living in the states. He is looking forward to it but stresses his club is in MLS and his foremost commitment is to success in MLS.

Indeed the tournament is a huge success in the cities where it is contested. Last year the 6 matches were played before large crowds with stadiums filled to 96% of capacity.

TFC Director of Business Operations, Paul Beirne was givien an opportunity to show the world Toronto’s “new logo” which is really the traditional logo with the addition of a single star escudo above to signify a championship. The red star has a white maple leaf within which leads to speculation stars to signify MLS championships could well have a smaller white star within?

The Voyageurs Cup might not have a long and storied past such as does the Grey Cup or Stanley Cup, but it does have an interesting origin which is most unique to football in Canadian sports-lore. The cup gets its name from the Voyageurs, an organized group of Canadian soccer supporters who stepped up to fill the need for a trophy exclusive to Canadian professional teams. Members raised the money to commission the silverware, and awarded it from 2002 until 2007.

The Voyageurs then donated the cup to the CSA in 2008, as the prize for the new Canadian Championship series.

SCHEDULE OF MATCHES

April 28 – Toronto FC versus Montreal Impact

May 05 – Vancouver Whitecaps versus Montreal Impact

May 12 – Montreal Impact versus Toronto FC

May 19 – Vancouver Whitecaps versus Toronto FC

May 26 – Montreal Impact versus Vancouver Whitecaps

June 02 – Toronto FC versus Vancouver Whitecaps

I also managed to get Gerry Doson's attention in explaning the very unique status of the V's cup.He seemed very impressed and I am sure it will be part of the upcoming broadcasts.Gerry is of to Vancouver to cover the skies and of course I made him aware that all these skiers are all very good soccer players.

Anyway Gerry is a very good friend and one of the best things that ever happened to Canadian soccer and football as he calls it.Gerry make sure you come back we need you here big time.

I am also very glad what Dennis wrote.We also go back some time and the only Canadian who speaks fluent Spanish ,his kinowledge of soccer is second to none,a fantastic writer for ISM.

Thanks Dennis,keep it up.

Strange that the word cup came up twice in the original format but not in the to be edited version.

seeing the words voyageurs cup and regina next to each other gave me an idea, obviously not for this year, and depending on how competitive the teams brass' mentality is maybe never, but I was thinking what if they played one of 6 V cup games in a city outside of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver? The only way it could work is if the game were choosen by lottery (3 names in, 2 names out, first team picked loses it's home game) but even though it's my idea I'll admit it's pretty doubtful any team would risk losing home advantage for a game. Still, if an important game could be wrested elsewhere once a year it would probably be good business from a development standpoint.

edit: II thought a little more about and maybe not, there aren't alot of 10 -25K stadiums out here

In 2003, I attended the Calgary Storm- Vancouver Whitecaps match in Saskatoon. A very good attendance.

I sort of doubt it considering the extent to which the page on the CSA's site has been built (full stats recordings, etc...). Is it a stretch to suggest they could use the V's Cup section to increase traffic to the main site?

Man, fate conspired against for the Storm - Caps friendly back in 03. My brother was out working in BC while I wasn't able to get the day off of work so we both missed it :(

[...] would the rookie MLS team then go into the quarterfinals?
Why not ? If you're allowed to make roster changes before the quarters, then the MLS Whitecaps could be considered as the same team with MANY changes in the lineup (is there a max number of roster change allowed ? not sure...). As long as there ain't new players coming from another CCL rival, it's gonna be all right. Like the Impact could lineup Sebrango for the quarters even though he played for the Caps in the Voyageurs Cup. One thing's for sure, I can't believe things won't be cleared up on that matter with CONCACRAP before the 2010 edition of the CCL kicks off with the Preliminary Round draw, expected for June (accordind to Wiki). That gives CONCACRAP 2 to 4 weeks to decide what to do after the end of the 2010 Voyageurs Cup should the Caps win.

No, I just can not believe it could happen...

The CSA doesn't award its spot based upon league affiliation (i.e. MLS, USL or NASL). It's entirely irrelevant which league the Voyageurs Cup winner happens to play in. In theory, in the future we could see a PDL club enter the Champions League. (And the exact same potential currently exists in the USA - if a PDL club wins the US Open Cup, they would compete in the Champions League).

Come 2011, the Whitecaps will be the same club in a new league. The club has been awarded an MLS franchise, but the club already exists, and will continue to exist as of 2011. Whitecaps MLS is not a new club.

The CSA doesn't award its spot based upon league affiliation (i.e. MLS, USL or NASL). It's entirely irrelevant which league the Voyageurs Cup winner happens to play in. In theory, in the future we could see a PDL club enter the Champions League. (And the exact same potential currently exists in the USA - if a PDL club wins the US Open Cup, they would compete in the Champions League).

Come 2011, the Whitecaps will be the same club in a new league. The club has been awarded an MLS franchise, but the club already exists, and will continue to exist as of 2011. Whitecaps MLS is not a new club.

I could be wrong but I've read somewhere that the Whitecaps who are playing in the NASL and the Whitecaps who'll be playing in the MLS are legally two different entities. That would mean the NASL team who gets to the CCL quarters with it's NASL roster isn't the same as the one who'll be playing in MLS. Like I said, I could be wrong but I could see an eligibility problem if this is true.

I could be wrong but I've read somewhere that the Whitecaps who are playing in the NASL and the Whitecaps who'll be playing in the MLS are legally two different entities. That would mean the NASL team who gets to the CCL quarters with it's NASL roster isn't the same as the one who'll be playing in MLS. Like I said, I could be wrong but I could see an eligibility problem if this is true.

I think you may be right on the legal entities part. On the Champions League part, I have no idea. MLS's structure means that they would own 51% of the Whitecaps correct?

http://www.youtube.com/CanadianSoccerAssoc

I really enjoyed watching the intensity and heat Nigel Reed and Gerry Dobson put on Dos Santos for the Impact's embarrassing performance in that final match against TFC. It was utterly disgusting to lose by that much to a rival on home turf. Although the match meant nothing to him and the players it did not to the fans and Saputo and I really hope that they don't tolerate this performance again should it repeat itself. Losing is one thing, but just letting your opponents rack up goals and clinch the title was not fair to the Whitecaps, who lost the title, and not fair to TFC, as they did not deserve to win by that margin and play in the CCL would a false sense of confidence only tobe defeated by a 2nd tier div team, the Islanders.

Good on the Ultras for not tolerating that crap and boycotting the next game till the 2nd half. Wonder if those Red Patch Boys would ever have the soccer balls to do the same.

Archived