2010 Voyageurs Cup

seeing the words voyageurs cup and regina next to each other gave me an idea, obviously not for this year, and depending on how competitive the teams brass' mentality is maybe never, but I was thinking what if they played one of 6 V cup games in a city outside of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver? The only way it could work is if the game were choosen by lottery (3 names in, 2 names out, first team picked loses it's home game) but even though it's my idea I'll admit it's pretty doubtful any team would risk losing home advantage for a game. Still, if an important game could be wrested elsewhere once a year it would probably be good business from a development standpoint.

edit: II thought a little more about and maybe not, there aren't alot of 10 -25K stadiums out here

seeing the words voyageurs cup and regina next to each other gave me an idea, obviously not for this year, and depending on how competitive the teams brass' mentality is maybe never, but I was thinking what if they played one of 6 V cup games in a city outside of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver? The only way it could work is if the game were choosen by lottery (3 names in, 2 names out, first team picked loses it's home game) but even though it's my idea I'll admit it's pretty doubtful any team would risk losing home advantage for a game. Still, if an important game could be wrested elsewhere once a year it would probably be good business from a development standpoint.

edit: II thought a little more about and maybe not, there aren't alot of 10 -25K stadiums out here

Just a quick note here...

If you want an outside city to host a friendly between 2 of the teams, fine go ahead, however when talking about cup games being hosted on neutral soil that is just silly. My bet is that with no team of its own in Regina, a game between Montreal and Toronto wouldn't draw more than maybe a couple thousand (MAX). Also, which of the 3 Canadian clubs would be willing to give up revenue generated by these games.

Just a bad idea all around...

There will be a press conference in Toronto with the three teams and the CSA sometime this week. Expect to hear about it the conference early in the week. I assume a schedule will be released.
Press conference called: The Canadian Soccer Association will announce the schedule for the 2010 Nutrilite Canadian Championship this Thursday 4 February at BMO Field in Toronto, ON. Head coaches for all three professional teams will be on hand for the press conference.

Just a quick note here...

If you want an outside city to host a friendly between 2 of the teams, fine go ahead, however when talking about cup games being hosted on neutral soil that is just silly. My bet is that with no team of its own in Regina, a game between Montreal and Toronto wouldn't draw more than maybe a couple thousand (MAX). Also, which of the 3 Canadian clubs would be willing to give up revenue generated by these games.

Just a bad idea all around...

I think that's a little much, sure it could be a little bad for the sacrificing team, but it would be good for soccer in Canada, meaningless friendlies are not going to encourage widespread national support. Also, I think your couple thousand is just way off, in a few areas like the New brunswick area, Halifax, St Johns, and probably Winnipeg and saskatchewan and that whole Kelowna, penticton, kamloops have almost nothing outside of minor hockey (or AHL) or in couple examples CFL teams (none of which are playing at the time). I honestly think that any event in these areas would sell great because it's not everyday these area's get to see a high level professional sports match. The key would not letting an event success confuse you into thinking you can put a 20 000 seat stadium and mls team their. I already said it'd be doubtful that any of the teams would accept, so pointing that out like I'm a moron is well...misleading. If you want to expand soccer anywhere your gonna have to sell it and show it off, basically why I'm going on is 'bad idea all around"? don't try and win arguements on dramatics, it's a good idea for almost everybody but the club that would get screwed in a draw (hopefully each team would once, over 3 years)

Too soon. Like the idea, think there is some potential if the scheme is handled right for it to be a big success but the Vs Cup is still in an infant as far as I'm concerned. I think some real growing in the wider market (that is to say, outside of Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal) will have to be done before neutral site matches have a fair chance of success.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/ loggin now

Our cup look great at the front of the table, mentioned the winner gets to claim the Voyageurs Cup

-Rogers Sports Net- official broadcaster

-Came out with an official NCC scarf.

-games on six consecutive Wednesday evenings, starting April 28th, ending June 3rd(TFC host Whitecaps)

-coaches began to say a few words as my feed cut out…

NCC Schedule:

April 28, Montreal at Toronto 8:00 p.m.

May 5, Montreal at Vancouver 10:00 p.m.

May 12, Toronto at Montreal Impact 8:00 p.m.

May 19, Toronto at Vancouver Whitecaps 10:00 p.m.

May 26, Vancouver at Montreal 8:00 p.m.

June 2, Vancouver Whitecaps at Toronto 8:00 p.m.

It all starts nice and early this year, which is awesome! Let the games begin!

I've yet to see Montreal and Vancouver's league schedule, but damn TFC's May is packed. I'm not sure what value Preki places on this competition, but the supporters view it as equal to the league, and as such I want our best out there. the good thing is that June is very light, so perhaps a full-bore May is in the cards.

Am I the only one who looks forward to the VCup schedule more than the league schedule?

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/ loggin now

Our cup look great at the front of the table, mentioned the winner gets to claim the Voyageurs Cup

-Rogers Sports Net- official broadcaster

-Came out with an official NCC scarf.

-games on six consecutive Wednesday evenings, starting April 28th, ending June 3rd(TFC host Whitecaps)

-coaches began to say a few words as my feed cut out…

NCC Schedule:

April 28, Montreal at Toronto 8:00 p.m.

May 5, Montreal at Vancouver 10:00 p.m.

May 12, Toronto at Montreal Impact 8:00 p.m.

May 19, Toronto at Vancouver Whitecaps 10:00 p.m.

May 26, Vancouver at Montreal 8:00 p.m.

June 2, Vancouver Whitecaps at Toronto 8:00 p.m.

Good move in my opinion on the dates. Midweek for a five weeks in a row, that's a good move.

Montreal plays for the 1st three weeks. No pressure, just have to come out of the gate firing on all cylinders. That's all.

Am I the only one who looks forward to the VCup schedule more than the league schedule?

It's easier to analyse and more meaningful. You always know what you'll be getting from the season schedule.

BTW, any news on live TV schedule/webcasting?

According to precedent, the final game should be 2nd place at defending champion: VAN@TFC

Except Toronto hosted the final game in year one. How did they determine that? And given that Vancouver got screwed by last years 'circumstance' it would be common sense to throw a dog a bone...by giving them a home game that might actually matter, not finishing with 2 road games.

Except Toronto hosted the final game in year one. How did they determine that? And given that Vancouver got screwed by last years 'circumstance' it would be common sense to throw a dog a bone...by giving them a home game that might actually matter, not finishing with 2 road games.

No idea for year 1.

As for finishing with 2 on the road, Montreal and Toronto did just that on their way to the 2008 and 2009 VCups.

Archived