GC - July 10 - Canada vs. Costa Rica

^ I can't understand that one either, you take out 3/4 of your backline out is it really necessary to keep your contentious keeper in? Ask myself this and the answer I come up with is too build some confidence in Sutton and that didn't happen tonight. He's got a full week of training to get his siht together let's hope it works.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by guppy

I dunno... They're not especially annoying. Fortunately they are just acting themselves and not pumping their teams. In MLS there's some horrific combinations of annoying personalities, cheerleading and incompetence that nobody can top, ever. If you ever heard that a guy who growls 'Yeh-eeeeesss' after his team scores. Nobody can top that stuff.

That's Max Bretos c'mon, the man is a legend. YEEEEAAAEEEEEEEESS!

quote:Originally posted by guppy

With a multiplier of 3, it's like a friendly win, maybe?

Gross Points For FIFA Rankings

Guatemala win 207 points

Jamaica win 1033 points

El Salvador win 689 points

Costa Rica tied 434 points

Formula is:

[Result (Win=3, Tie=1, Loss=0)] x [match type multiplier (1-4)] x

[(200-FIFA Ranking)/100] x [Average of Confederational multiplier of the two teams]* x 100

Ex. Guatemala win = (3)(1)(0.81)(.85)(100) = 206.55 => 207

* Yes, that means if we beat Estonia/Cyprus/etc., we recieve fewer points than if England beats them the same friendly.

quote:osts

Posted - 07/10/2009 : 21:39:44 Show Profile Reply with Quote

Here goes with my two cents of armchair crap (without our beloved armchair crap is there even a purpose to the forum, john tv?).

Similar to the game against ES, I think we easily could have lost this game. Would it have been a big loss? No - but let's not pretend that we are dominating these teams and really giving them no chance to get back in, especially not tonight.

Lots of positives - McKenna was important again, two very nice goals again, DeJong is a much better LB for us than a winger (would still love to see him at LDM net to Hutch), nice to Nakajima play some although he suffered from the overall tiredness of the squad by the time he was in and warmed-up. Peters showed some nice wheels but still gets bumped off the ball too easily (not a huge amount of clear progress over the past couple years - similar to Simpson, as I've said before). Good to see Hainault get a game although he played like he was in a new position a few times (pity, I think he is 4th or 5th in the pecking order at CB, and probably 3rd at LB - we really needed to play a successor to Stalteri in this tournament, I think). Hart deserves full credit for using his subs and not being afraid to change his approach as he sees fit.

Negatives - My god Sutton was dodgy - he may have sealed his fate with finally getting burned there. Don't think Hart will remove him now, mind you, but also don't think he will be back for Canada or a MLS job at tournament's end. Johnson was pretty ineffective today. A lot of errant balls played from the midfield - a few by wingers, but quite a few I thought, and a general lack of crispness, from Hutch (without JDG and DDR, it is easy to see that he is not a game-turning general but rather a solid supporting cast member). Jackson is either not ready yet or needs a second striker to play right next to him. Oh well, it was worth a try. Hopefully that was Hastings' last game - he wasn't diabolical but showed that after MOTM in his last start, he is just too uneven in his play from game to game, especially at his age, to be useful. Shame we weren't seeing Ledgerwood and Edgar start this game for Canada - it would have been the perfect opportunity.

Nice result - really looking forward to seeing our (makeshift) first team in full force again - I think the only question for Hart is who he plays on the wings - probably Simpson and Johnson again, but maybe he liked what he saw from Peters. No card trouble and no serious injuries by the looks of it - so we have every chance of going pretty deep.

Come on you Reds!!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Peters in place of Johnson in the QF.

I think Jackson was really hurt by JDG's absence as Atiba stayed back and protected the back four for most of the game and couldn't get involved in the build up. Would love to see Jackson and Friend get time together in the future.

Isn't arm chair crap the whole point of this?

Good result considering it's a team ranked 62 spots ahead of us. No stalteri, jdg, friend, dero, klukowski, gerba (mostly), hirsch, this was less than a 'b' team. I think the squad for the previous games could have taken it. Too bad since the most fifa points were there for a win in this game.

As it is. Good result. Where was this team last year?

You gotta love the Canadian Press story on the game. I guess they didn't have time to fact-check [xx(]:

MIAMI – Dennis Marshall and Marcel De Jong scored as Canada tied Costa Rica 2-2 Friday in its final game in the group stages at the CONCACAF Gold Cup soccer tournament.

The result gave Canada the top spot in Group A with seven points after 1-0 victories over Jamaica and El Salvador in the first two group matches.

Canada will play its quarterfinal match in the soccer championship for North and Central America and the Caribbean on July 18 against the runner-up in Group B.

Costa Rica finished with four points and awaited the result of the second group match between El Salvador and Jamaica to determine if it will advance to the knockout rounds.

After both teams scored the game's four goals during a 12-minute spurt in the first half, Canada protected the tie and rarely attacked the Costa Rica goal area in the second half.

Costa Rica, meanwhile, looked for the tie-breaking goal and had two close calls in the final 15 minutes.

Canada's Jaime Peters stood next to the left goal post and deflected Celso Borges' point-blank shot deep in the Canada penalty area in the 75th minute.

Walter Centeno headed a shot which sailed above the crossbar eight minutes.

Needing only a tie to advance to the knockout stages, Canada manager Stephen Hart rested midfielder Julian De Guzman and didn't play Ali Gerba until the final 16 minutes of regulation. Gerba scored both Canadian goals in the first two group matches.

Canada struck twice within a four-minute span midway through the first half for a 2-1 lead.

Marshall tied the match 1-1 in the 23rd minute. Josh Simpson's pass from the left wing found an open Marshall outside the six-yard box, where he successfully converted on a shot past Costa Rica goalkeeper Ricardo Gonzalez.

The goal negated a brief Costa Rica lead as Andy Herron scored the game's first goal in the 23rd minute. Armando Alonso headed Canadian 'keeper Greg Sutton's goal kick to the midfield area to an open Herron on the right wing.

Herron dribbled unmarked toward the Canadian penalty area. Sutton left the goal area to cut Herron's angle but Herron flicked a shot into an open net.

De Jong gave Canada a 2-1 lead with a goal in the 27th minute. De Jong retrieved a loose ball and sent a shot from 25 yards and landed inside the left post.

But Centeno closed an offensively charged first half with a goal in the 34th minute. Centeno's free kick from 20 yards eluded a wall of five Canadian defenders and landed inside the right post and past a diving Sutton.

quote:Originally posted by Lomonty

Based on what I saw of this game (the final 55+ minutes), I wouldn't mind seeing this switch. Peters looked confident and, considering that he played the whole match, seemed to have enough left in his tank at the end. As nolando points out, he's still a lightweight but so is Johnson so I'm thinking that Peters gives the team a better 1 v 1 threat on the right wing because of his superior pace. But Hart might stick with Johnson knowing that he's got a confident speedster available from the bench.

quote:Originally posted by Lomonty

Based on what I saw of this game (the final 55+ minutes), I wouldn't mind seeing this switch. Peters looked confident and, considering that he played the whole match, seemed to have enough left in his tank at the end. As nolando points out, he's still a lightweight but so is Johnson so I'm thinking that Peters gives the team a better 1 v 1 threat on the right wing because of his superior pace. But Hart might stick with Johnson knowing that he's got a confident speedster available from the bench.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

Nice to see dennis Marshall finding his form for the nats. He is always so good with his club team in the second division in upper bolstania. We could have used his touch in wcq.

I see you're not up on your current events. As a result of the military coup of 2007, Upper Bolstania's new president for life joined the four former Bolstanian enclaves into a Great Bolstanistan. They should be serious contenders in future World Cups now.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

Nice to see dennis Marshall finding his form for the nats. He is always so good with his club team in the second division in upper bolstania. We could have used his touch in wcq.

I see you're not up on your current events. As a result of the military coup of 2007, Upper Bolstania's new president for life joined the four former Bolstanian enclaves into a Great Bolstanistan. They should be serious contenders in future World Cups now.

quote:Originally posted by teddym

We'd have won even with that lineup if we only had a keeper. Sutton is a bumbling clown and I don't want to see him in there again.

I blame Richard Hastings. He f*cked up the backline's chemistry.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

Didn't make it to the game because Miami is the sixth circle of hell and all hotel employees are liars, so no live-and-in-person update from me, guys. Sorry.

Whoa.. what the hell happened, did you stay at a hotel with Costa Rican staff ?

Well the Ticos were only interested in putting in a respectable performance and scoreline, rather than actually winning, and we of course were happy with a draw and playing all our subs, so it was a weird game. Best news of the game for me was Jamie Peters showing (for the first time IMO) some soccer brains out there - it was his nifty play that got the ball out to Simpson for the first goal. Interesting to see Hart play Peters in the De Guzman role, it worked fairly well.

Too bad about that awful first goal - not going to do Sutton any favours in getting a new club team with that play. And we had some sloppy marking in the 2nd half off corner which I hope doesn't become a habit. Nice to see we can score even without Ali, and well-taken goals too!

None of these games have been televised.

How does the CSA expect Canadians to care about their product if they don't even care enough about it to have it broadcast? Quite frankly, having been able to watch none of the three games so far, how am I supposed to care about it? You can't follow a sport that you can't watch.

Good thing there was some CFL football on tonight to watch, or I'd be pretty ticked off. As it is, the CSA's incompetence just makes me less interested in following national team soccer. I'm not going to miss a Whitecaps telecast after 2011, but right now it's hard to muster enthusiasm for a national team programme that doesn't consider broadcasting its games to be important.

Archived