Jump to content

GC - July 10 - Canada vs. Costa Rica


dyslexic nam

Recommended Posts

Alright, lets get this started. So far, two games, two wins. Great start to the tourney, and lets hope we can keep this up all the way through. CR won't be a pushover though, so the boys will need to be just as organized and composed as they were last night, and hopefully a bit more ruthless in front of goal. And Mr. Sutton, please stay in you goal, or at least the 18 yard box...

Score predictions?

Any changes to the starting 11? Most positions seem pretty set (if it ain't broke...) but Simpson vs. De Jong seems to be the only real duo that Hart hasn't settled on.

Any changes resulting from players on yellow cards? Probably not - Stalteri, Klukowski, and JDG have all been booked, but are not easilly replaced.

Final thought - it sure would be nice to come out as winners of the group of death.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simpson was strong if not brilliant, De Jong had a good cameo but I don't think played himself into the team. I'd expect Simpson to go in Miami.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see one of Stalteri or Klukowski sit. My choice would be to play Peters for Klukowski: they have a lot of skills in common except, of course, Peters isn't as good, but it would be nice to see him get a look in this tournament and now's a great time.

And it's nice to come out as winners from any group!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see one of Stalteri or Klukowski sit.

Me neither. Can we get a confirmation - if one of those three picks up another yellow, would they miss the QFinal game?

I think Stalteri is the most likely of the three to pick up a yellow against Costa Rica. They will likely be trying to attack his lack of speed and his tendency to put in a sloppy foot. They will also know he is on a yellow which may affect his play.

Wasn't Peters playing one of the backs for Ispwich at the end of the season? Since he usually is a right sided player for Canada, maybe we could try him in Stalteri's spot, even if only for a half. I still don't think Peters belongs here (at RB or on a Canada first team) but there aren't a lot of other options at this point, and it would suck to lose Stalteri for the QF.

I'm predicting an ugly 1-1 draw with plenty of cards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Me neither. Can we get a confirmation - if one of those three picks up another yellow, would they miss the QFinal game?

I think Stalteri is the most likely of the three to pick up a yellow against Costa Rica. They will likely be trying to attack his lack of speed and his tendency to put in a sloppy foot. They will also know he is on a yellow which may affect his play.

Wasn't Peters playing one of the backs for Ispwich at the end of the season? Since he usually is a right sided player for Canada, maybe we could try him in Stalteri's spot, even if only for a half. I still don't think Peters belongs here (at RB or on a Canada first team) but there aren't a lot of other options at this point, and it would suck to lose Stalteri for the QF.

I'm predicting an ugly 1-1 draw with plenty of cards.

How about this as an XI to watch our cards

-----------------Sutton------------------

Hainault-------Jakovic--McKenna-------De Jong

-----------------Bernier-------------------

-----------Hutchinson--De Guzman-----------

Johnson----------------------------Simpson

----------------Gerba----------------------

Subs

-----------------Sutton------------------

Hainault-------Jakovic--McKenna-------De Jong

-----------------Bernier-------------------

-----------Hutchinson--Johnson------------

Peters (45')----------------------------Issey (60')

----------------Jackson (50')----------------

This gives us a chance to see guys we haven't seen at all like Issey, Hainault and Peters. Plus it gives Jackson a good run out.

I gave De Guzman a half because I think we still need him to set the tone and since he is playing more advanced (and obviously smart) I don't see him taking a card. Let Peters and Jackson speed get the ticos in the second half. Hainault plays LB for Houston, I think he could handle right back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On second thought. I think we should start Issey on the left vs. the Ticos. No one has really put their mark on that left winger spot and Issey has played there before for Canada on a better team even. Last Gold Cup when we gave him a start he impressed and won a penalty and we haven't even seen him so far. I say start him over Simpson, let De jong play left back and then sub Simpson in for Issey later on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd actually change goalies now. Not that Sutton has played poorly but against Costa Rica we can't afford the mistakes. He has made 2 poor clearance kicks, came out of the box on a poor challenge and was out of position several times. His size and poor finishing by Jamaica & El Salvador have bailed him out.

I'd like to see Wagenaar against CR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

I'd actually change goalies now. Not that Sutton has played poorly but against Costa Rica we can't afford the mistakes. He has made 2 poor clearance kicks, came out of the box on a poor challenge and was out of position several times. His size and poor finishing by Jamaica & El Salvador have bailed him out.

I'd like to see Wagenaar against CR.

I wouldn't mind that at all but the problem is this game is important for us and it's not really the time to make change to a winning lineup. Anyways, I guess it depends of how Hart is assessing Greg performance and if he's seen enough in Josh in training to start him against CR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is the game we need to try out some of the guys of the future. The game is not meaningless for us but it is as meaningless a game as we are going to have in this Gold Cup. Odds are that even if we lose we will go through. We really need to see what guys like Wagenaar and Peters (and Hainault if healthy) can do in a competitive game and it is quite possible they will be an upgrade as well as being much younger than those they replace. Developing depth and giving younger players international experience is as important as how we do in this tournament.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No way should we tinker with the lineup. As hesitant as I am to disagree with any other Voyageur, check the FIFA rankings please. We absolutely need to get as many CONCACAF results as we can these next 3 years to avoid another poor seeding which leads to a semi-final group of death.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A win here would be HUGE for our FIFA ranking. When is the last time Canada beat a team ranked 30th or better?

Right now we have beat a 60 something and a team right in our region ranking wise. A win vs. a 30 team would definitely pump us up the rankings.

I believe in our bench players though, all of them are really close and each add their own thing. Especially since they have something to prove they may play even better than players they replace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Ed

No way should we tinker with the lineup. As hesitant as I am to disagree with any other Voyageur, check the FIFA rankings please. We absolutely need to get as many CONCACAF results as we can these next 3 years to avoid another poor seeding which leads to a semi-final group of death.

CONCACAF will go with whatever FIFA rankings list is the most advantageous to Trinidad and Tobago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The obvious solution to that is to always stay above Trinidad & Tobago then.;) I say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but there is no reason Canada could not be top-6 at all times provided they are actually playing matches (big provision, I know).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Ed

No way should we tinker with the lineup. As hesitant as I am to disagree with any other Voyageur, check the FIFA rankings please. We absolutely need to get as many CONCACAF results as we can these next 3 years to avoid another poor seeding which leads to a semi-final group of death.

That is a good point but I think our number 1 priority should be building the team of the future and giving players a chance to show what they can do and building depth is a part of that. I think this will do more for our FIFA rankings in the long run, ie. the next 3 years that will count for WCQ than the results in this tournament. Furthermore, I think there is as much chance that Wagenaar and Peters will be better than those they are replacing than worse. Plus, even if they are not better, as far as winning the torunament as a whole it may be a good idea to rest a few of the players especially the older ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

A win here would be HUGE for our FIFA ranking. When is the last time Canada beat a team ranked 30th or better?

Funny you should ask.

The last time Canada beat a team that was ranked 30th or better was in July 2003, at the Gold Cup, vs Costa Rica, who was ranked 18th (!) in world at the time.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Right now we have beat a 60 something and a team right in our region ranking wise. A win vs. a 30 team would definitely pump us up the rankings.

I've been trying to estimate what our FIFA ranking will be, and yes, it should take a big jump. Even if we were to lose the next two games this tournament (worst case scenario), we'd still gain about 100 ranking points, which might work out to around 20 positions, putting us somewhere in the mid-low 70s.

But of course we're going to do better than that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

Hart's approach to the last two matches has been "cautious", but with the guts to make an attacking substitution in the second half against Jamaica, which was duly rewarded with a winner.

I expect more of the same. No need to go for the throat here. A draw clinches the group.

I hope (and expect) that we won't make the mistake of being overly defensive though. Just more of what has been working so far, but I don't expect an attacking substitution in the second half unless we are losing.

Last game the mids did a great job of closing down the ES midfield and creating turnovers in the process, whereas our opponents at times seemed a half-step slow in closing us down when we had possession, particularly in the second half. I'm curious to see if the Ticos will start with a lot of midfield and forward pressure in the first 5-10 minutes to see how that disrupts our buildup and create giveaways. Though it's not the best evidence, this particular core of mids struggled against the US two years ago and in the SA match of Nov 07 under tight marking and pressure, so I wonder what the CR's approach will be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any yellows picked up against Costa Rica will not carry on to the quarter finals. I would serioulsy give a half hour to Jamie Peters in this game, if we're down one he gives us more of a threat then Stalteri if we're up one let's use his speed and dribbling ability on overlapping runs when having the possession in the Costa Rican end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Last game the mids did a great job of closing down the ES midfield and creating turnovers in the process, whereas our opponents at times seemed a half-step slow in closing us down when we had possession, particularly in the second half. I'm curious to see if the Ticos will start with a lot of midfield and forward pressure in the first 5-10 minutes to see how that disrupts our buildup and create giveaways. Though it's not the best evidence, this particular core of mids struggled against the US two years ago and in the SA match of Nov 07 under tight marking and pressure, so I wonder what the CR's approach will be.

I don't recall ever seeing a Central American side close us down in our own third, I can't see them starting now. The Ticos are probably happy to take a point, so I wouldn't expect much different that what we saw from El Salvador. They will put balls on Sutton and flop around with any contact in the attacking third.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

do you guys think Hart would make his decision about who to start this match based on wanting to pick up FIFA ranking points?

I'm sure advancing in the tourney is what's on his mind right now. I say he sits players for the best interest of the quarters, rather than push onward for Fifa points, or rather to start young players and build for the future.

And if it happens it'll be somewhat unfortunate as this group still seems to be getting used to each other, even though it's come along nicely so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Lomonty

Any yellows picked up against Costa Rica will not carry on to the quarter finals. I would serioulsy give a half hour to Jamie Peters in this game, if we're down one he gives us more of a threat then Stalteri if we're up one let's use his speed and dribbling ability on overlapping runs when having the possession in the Costa Rican end.

i agree
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...