GC - July 10 - Canada vs. Costa Rica

This is the first match play I've been able to watch of this Gold Cup (just the last 25 minutes, sadly), and these Setanta guys are BRUTAL! WOW. "Which team brought on a defender?" I couldn't wait for them to say "Boom goes the dynamite!"

Anyway, on to the important stuff.

Played it just about right. Hart brought on Gerba for the win, became as disappointed with the marking on crosses and corner kicks, thus on comes Cann. Good decisions by Hart. 2-2 with the players we ran out sounds like a fantastic result.

7 pts, group champ. Have we won a group before???

Comments on the player selection for Ticos???

Game played at a canter, and that's alright. Can't wait for the QF. How nice would it be to eliminate CR from the GC in the group stage! Group of death most definitely.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Group A

Canada 7 4 2 +2

Costa Rica 4 4 4 0

El Salvador 3 2 2 0

Jamaica 0 0 2 -2

If El Salvador draws or beats Jamaica, they take A2 and avoid Mexico (Assuming A3 and C3 advance). Imagine the following quarter finals; Mexico-Costa Rica and El Salvador-Guadeloupe. Football, she is a funny game, no?

Boom goes the dynamite! LOL

Very impressed by the team we had out there tonight. Good to see a little bit of depth. Sutton, once again was Sutton, but we won the group and collected some more Fifa Points against the 30th ranked team.

Guys stop that arm chair crap,these guys and in fact I guess second team were fabulous.Great mnental control,great ball skills and above average thinking and deciding these guys are very smart.So that magic Canadian brain power sealed it all. No one is as smart as our guys,yes a new angle to soccer,brainpower and skill.Sutton is great and an ever bigger inspiration,so again stop that arm chair crap.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

Can someone please explain the logic of putting Cann in the game, especially now the way we're walking backwards into our own net?

Because we were brutal on the Tico corners, lucky not to have been scored on and it was clear we needed to do something different and because as tie wins the group and avoids tiebreaker scenarios.

A win would have been great but we win the group anyways. Looks like HArt pulled the reigns a bit in the 2nd half, Atiba played another great game protecting the back 4 and never making the wrong pass to spring the break out. There wasn't a player on that pitch that Peters couldn't take off the dribble on pace alone, which bodes well for us over the next 10 years. Mckenna was a colossus again!!

Hasting should change his last name to Hesitant and retire, Fahq he plays a mens league type game no need for that with the crop lof youngster we have coming up. Tip off the hat for serving your country but we won't win many games with him back there

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Because we were brutal on the Tico corners, lucky not to have been scored on and it was clear we needed to do something different and because as tie wins the group and avoids tiebreaker scenarios.

and we didn't have an orangutan on the bench?

quote:Originally posted by hawk99

Is there a road trip being planned for the quarterfinal in Philly?

I was at the Canada-Honduras qualifying match in Montreal last year - officially hate the Hondurans now.

They make it pretty easy to do.

quote:Originally posted by Lurker

Boom goes the dynamite! LOL

Very impressed by the team we had out there tonight. Good to see a little bit of depth. Sutton, once again was Sutton, but we won the group and collected some more Fifa Points against the 30th ranked team.

With a multiplier of 3, it's like a friendly win, maybe?

Pretty good game for that newlook squad! I think we looked shacky at the end with CR having several good opportunities but for the rest I can't complain.

I was impress by Peters in midfield!

We missed Jakovic back there in term of providing good balls to the midfield.

Sutton, he's scary, really.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Those Setanta guys were the worst commentators I've ever heard. And I'm counting the CSL broadcasts on public access television announced by volunteers.

Unreal!

I dunno... They're not especially annoying. Fortunately they are just acting themselves and not pumping their teams. In MLS there's some horrific combinations of annoying personalities, cheerleading and incompetence that nobody can top, ever. If you ever heard that a guy who growls 'Yeh-eeeeesss' after his team scores. Nobody can top that stuff.

Good on Hart for playing a lot of the bench but I don't understand why he didn't start Wagenaar and this game shows exactly why he should have started him. Sutton looked shaky all night and gave up what essentially was an own goal but now we are in the knockout phase and it would be pretty hard to put Wagenaar in now with him having not played at all in the tournament so far.

Here goes with my two cents of armchair crap (without our beloved armchair crap is there even a purpose to the forum, john tv?).

Similar to the game against ES, I think we easily could have lost this game . Would it have been a big loss? No, and it would have been undeserved - but let's not pretend that we are dominating these teams and really giving them no chance to get back in, especially not tonight. We really need that last bit "killer instinct" to finish off our opponents definitively. It's enough to win us games against often indifferent sides at the Gold Cup, but not enough for WCQ, I think.

Lots of positives - McKenna was important again, two very nice goals, DeJong is a much better LB for us than a winger (would still love to see him at LDM next to Hutch), nice to see Nakajima play some although he suffered from the overall tiredness of the squad by the time he was in and warmed-up. Peters showed some nice wheels but still gets bumped off the ball too easily (not a huge amount of clear progress over the past couple years - similar to Simpson, as I've said before). Good to see Hainault get a game although he played like he was in a new position a few times (pity, I think he is 4th or 5th in the pecking order at CB, and probably 3rd at LB - we really needed to play a successor to Stalteri in this tournament, I think). Hart deserves full credit for using his subs and not being afraid to change his approach as he sees fit.

Negatives - My god Sutton was dodgy - he may have sealed his fate with finally getting burned there. Don't think Hart will remove him now, mind you, but also don't think he will be back for Canada or a MLS job at tournament's end. Johnson was pretty ineffective today. A lot of errant balls played from the midfield - a few by wingers, but quite a few I thought, and a general lack of crispness, from Hutch (without JDG and DDR, it is easy to see that he is not a game-turning general but rather a solid supporting cast member). Jackson is either not ready yet or needs a second striker to play right next to him. Oh well, it was worth a try. Hopefully that was Hastings' last game - he wasn't diabolical but showed that after MOTM in his last start, he is just too uneven in his play from game to game, especially at his age, to be useful. Shame we weren't seeing Ledgerwood and Edgar start this game for Canada - it would have been the perfect opportunity.

Nice result - really looking forward to seeing our (makeshift) first team in full force again - I think the only question for Hart is who he plays on the wings - probably Simpson and Johnson again, but maybe he liked what he saw from Peters. No card trouble and no serious injuries by the looks of it - so we have every chance of going pretty deep.

Come on you Reds!!

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Good on Hart for playing a lot of the bench but I don't understand why he didn't start Wagenaar and this game shows exactly why he should have started him. Sutton looked shaky all night and gave up what essentially was an own goal but now we are in the knockout phase and it would be pretty hard to put Wagenaar in now with him having not played at all in the tournament so far.

Forrest said something about Sutton asking specifically for this start in order to shake the rest of the rust off - so much for that plan :<

Archived