GC - July 10 - Canada vs. Costa Rica

In my opinion, Bernier, Hutchinson, De Jong and McKenna were our best players yesterday. McKenna was the only safe player at the back and his ball distribution was good.

We really missed him during last WC qualification. I think that things could have ended up differently with him instead of Hasting at central defense...

Was he injured?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^The first Canadian goal also began due to a great goal kick by Sutton.

Agreed, the turf was crap.

With the youth in the lineup I also noticed a lot of tentativeness on especially the back line. When the Tico's pressured, we were not always composed. They obviously made up for it with two absolutely world class goals - the first an incredible cross, and the second a long range shot that is normally reserved for La Liga. Wow.

Bring on the team that killed our WC hopes last summer. Time for payback and a little redemption.

A note on Hart. Jebus. I now blame the failed WCQ bid squarely on the CSA. If they would have acted on the Dale Mitchell situation when it was warranted - we might have recovered enough to have a shot. Hart’s coaching decisions are far superior. He coaches these guys to control the ball, move it around, tire out and stymie the opposing offence by ball possession. He allows the players to be innovative, and obviously injects them with confidence. Arguably, our B side drew with Costa Rica's A side, and if not for silly mistakes they would have beaten them.

Damn if this was only 2008....but I'll take it.

quote:Originally posted by D-NoY

In my opinion, Bernier, Hutchinson, De Jong and McKenna were our best players yesterday. McKenna was the only safe player at the back and his ball distribution was good.

We really missed him during last WC qualification. I think that things could have ended up differently with him instead of Hasting at central defense...

Was he injured?

no. he was on the bench.

Dale, you are a BUM!

Sutton and the turf... well yr entitled to that opinion but his kick was out of the air ... the way I see it: he makes a motion to throw it out to a player and changes his mind as De Jong is trotting away and not looking back. This is where the trouble starts. It doesn't start with the kick. When De Jong finally does look back a split second later (several times over his shoulder while still moving forward) Sutton has already changed his mind.

Then as a CR player continues to distract him, Sutton bounces the ball once, and rushes the kick.

The whole play seems to have a frantic quality to it that is out-of-place. Watch Sutton and see how antsy he seems after he gains control of the ball.. why?

It's true if he hadn't fallen he would have reached the ball, but he fell because he was trying to adjust towards the corner after sprinting from the penalty spot and all his balance was in that direction. (Actually he leans towards the corner and then steps backwards, but as he goes back he's still leaning so he is seriously off-balance, trying to go two directions at once).

That's my opinion anyway! I dont wanna be considered a Sutton basher, it's just the way I see that curious play.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

So do you think all our national team players should become strict vegans ?

Seriously I have issues with players who go vegan ( usually females ) they seem to lack something in them when they do .. maybe its the hunter instinct etc. but not eating meat seems to affect players and the way they play.

LOL where did I say that I think all national team players should become strict vegans?

Plus, my wording was wrong in my other post. He is not a "strict" vegan, as I think he started eating some fish a few years ago on the advice of a Houston team doctor.

My point was that he takes care of himself.

As for that stuff about female players, I have no idea what you're on about (but then I rarely do).

90% of canadians watch tv on cable/satellite. Rogers has the most subscribers - so using their digitial pentration rate of ~70%, the majority of Canadians or ~63% could have watched yesterday's match.

Add in all the feeds available on the net - the whole access to matches isn't yet optimal but way better than anything previously. Considering Rugby Canada can't get a home WCQ on TV today which is a disgrace but that was footy in Canada in the 70s.

By the way, Sutton's distribution has been crap throughout the tourney and with TFC. Not sure why this basic skill is slipping away.

I thought Issey was GREAT when he came on. Much better than any other winger on the day he actually kept POSSESION, beat his man, made nice passes and was just generally involved until the end when we started playing back he suffered. Im surprised he wasn't given the start as he is obviously a really good player and even when guys like Radz and Hume were on the team last year he was given starts under Mitchell but im surprised Hart has only given him 45 this tournament so far.

<MOD ALERT> Okay seathanaich , calm down a bit. Too bad you

missed the match ... but it's also being re-shown on GolTV.

Almost everyone have seen the match on the board, and Sportsnet

did show it live on digital and in the West and East. I don't know

why not in the Pacific, but there's really no point in engaging

everyone on this board.

Respectfully, to be a Canadian soccer fan is to pay more for

specialized channels or to suffer endless hours trying to find

internet streaming channels that might show the odd match. Or

to join the Voyageurs on a road trip or bar event. (Much better)

quote:Originally posted by Alex D

A tree falls in the woods, and seathanaich isn't there to here it. did it make a noise?... no, no it didn't. It didn't fall in BC so it didn't even exist.

Nice one.

Congrats to the Nats. I cancelled cable recently so I didn't even notice that it was pre empted. But like Redhat says if you a fan then you spend a lot of time searching...and wandering...lost in a forrest of indifference.

It was 1am when I saw Benito rob Attiba of his equalizer. I woke the neighbourhood."You did it to us again. You cheatin bastard."

I wonder where I'll be when the Concacrap conspiracy stops us this time?

quote:Originally posted by red card

By the way, Sutton's distribution has been crap throughout the tourney and with TFC. Not sure why this basic skill is slipping away.

From what I recall Sutton started playing soccer in his late teen (17 or 18) so I guess he had a clear lack of skills and when you start at that kind of age it's very tough to learn that much skills. You can add to that the fact that he is 6'6 and that surely doesn't help.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

"That guy is basically the Richard Hastings of TV watching."....good one.

i had the game on two sportsnet channels here in winnipeg...

try being a rugby fan...the nats have their biggest game in 2 years tomorrow...the second half of a home and away series v. the americans...winner qualifies for the world cup...rugby canada just announced today, less than 24 hours before the game that they will prop up a camcorder somewhere in the park and webcast the game on some youtube-like site that is generally for posting home movies on.

I was disappointed that we couldn't capitalise on all the american mistakes on July 4th in Charleston.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

LOL where did I say that I think all national team players should become strict vegans?

Plus, my wording was wrong in my other post. He is not a "strict" vegan, as I think he started eating some fish a few years ago on the advice of a Houston team doctor.

My point was that he takes care of himself.

As for that stuff about female players, I have no idea what you're on about (but then I rarely do).

A number of Canadian national womens players are aparrently vegan or vegitarian .. in my own experience players who go that way tend to lose muscle mass from not taking in enough protiens in the diet, the result is they seem to tire in a full time game in certain situations, they simply dont have fat reserves to feed on when the rapid body reserves are gone, so they become exhausted.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

A number of Canadian national womens players are aparrently vegan or vegitarian .. in my own experience players who go that way tend to lose muscle mass from not taking in enough protiens in the diet, the result is they seem to tire in a full time game in certain situations, they simply dont have fat reserves to feed on when the rapid body reserves are gone, so they become exhausted.

Fat reserves are generally not available at a significant rate to metabolism for high output cardio like soccer, if you were walking or doing something at a slower rate fat is made available, but when your immediate energy demands are high it takes another catabolic route. Basically having more fat reserves is'nt going to increase your stamina, all long distance runners have minimal fat and they're bodies are trained to have more immediate energy stores made available.

Also anyone who is a vegan should be having adequate protein and vitamin suplementation, and anyone who is a professional athlete I'm sure will be getting what they need from sources other than meat.

Hope that helped.

quote:Originally posted by canso

he is 6'6 and that surely doesn't help.

I missed ya here, being tall doesn't help goalkeepers?

I was talking about his poor kicking skills. The fact he started playing soccer later than most kids and the fact that he is 6'6 didn't help the development of his kicking.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by red card

90% of canadians watch tv on cable/satellite. Rogers has the most subscribers - so using their digitial pentration rate of ~70%, the majority of Canadians or ~63% could have watched yesterday's match.

Add in all the feeds available on the net - the whole access to matches isn't yet optimal but way better than anything previously. Considering Rugby Canada can't get a home WCQ on TV today which is a disgrace but that was footy in Canada in the 70s.

Rugby Canada had a link to live streaming of the match on their website, I found it after as I couldn't watch at that time anyways. But it is interesting to see how they adjusted to a lack of live tv. The links and info and videos of the match are still up at the site.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

No Canada did has not miss the guy who is a star against MLS competition and the Impact B team but a schmuck at international level. The guy who thinks he can pull Maradonna moves against international competition and loses the ball immediately. The guy who thinks he can score all by himself and shoots the ball either at the keeper or 20 feet above the net. The guy who rarely passes but when he does misses his target by 10 feet. The guy who receives a pass and lets it bounce in front of him where in MLS he can recover it and in international play the other team takes the ball. A selfish player who thinks he is far better than he is. There is no room for him in our midfield though he might be decent as a sub with a lot of energy if we are behind in the last 20 minutes.

I wish I didn't agree with this assessment but I do.

DeRo is very talented but I'm not sure he's a player i will miss being part of the MNT. Grizzly might be right....he might be better as a super sub but I prefer a different type of player in my starting 11. I want someone who can play within the system, not someone who forces the system to revolve around his whims. In that way, he's still the same player he was when he oozed talent as a 17 year old playing for the Lynx but who was also the most frustrating player on the field.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Highlights

sutton was unlucky wit the first goal. he usually gets more height than that on his kicks, i blame the turf. the header was very fortunate to go right to the CR forward, and then the chip shot was crap, and only went in bc sutton fell, again i blame the super crap turf at FIU.

Why do you need to make excuses for Sutton and lame ones at that? Sutton has always been poor at kicking the ball whether it was with Montreal on grass or with TFC on turf. Considering he is used to playing on a worse artificial pitch than FIU at BMO he should be absolutely used to kicking on turf. Poor distribution, kicking and handling the ball with his feet have been his weakness for years so why should it be a surprise that it cost us a goal in this game. Sutton is not an international level keeper and the sooner we can get him in a role as solely emergency backup the better. This was one of the reasons it was crucial to have Wagenaar start the game to guage whether he has progressed enough to supplant Sutton in the keeper hierarchy.

Archived