GC - July 10 - Canada vs. Costa Rica

quote:Originally posted by seathanaich

Apparently this is a pissing contest, not a thread. So, to repeat, no, none of the games were on Sportsnet. It was baseball tonight, it was baseball on the 7th. Can tell you're from Toronto the way you have no clue what happens beyond your own nose. My point is that it is impossible to follow something that isn't broadcast. If the CSA can't get the games broadcast, even later the same night, then it's no surprise people aren't interested. Or buying merchandise.

I see your point and I'm from BC too. The only way to see the game is if you have digital cable with all the Sportsnet West, East, Ontario, Pacific channels. If you don't have those channels you're screwed. I think Sportnet allocated the games based on what's popular in ratings in each region and unfortunately, even out in the Pacific, Baseball ratings rule over Canada matches. Sucks I know. Wish the games wouldn've been broadcast by CBC or something with more viewers, but hey you should be happy that the games are at least televised in some "form" or another, before digital cable, it was hard to watch any broadcast matches. In the future, if you can't watch a Canada futbol match on TV, go to justin.tv. I know they're televising all the Gold Cup matches live for anybody to watch online.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

I see your point and I'm from BC too. The only way to see the game is if you have digital cable with all the Sportsnet West, East, Ontario, Pacific channels. If you don't have those channels you're screwed. I think Sportnet allocated the games based on what's popular in ratings in each region and unfortunately, even out in the Pacific, Baseball ratings rule over Canada matches. Sucks I know. Wish the games wouldn've been broadcast by CBC or something with more viewers, but hey you should be happy that the games are at least televised in some "form" or another, before digital cable, it was hard to watch any broadcast matches. In the future, if you can't watch a Canada futbol match on TV, go to justin.tv. I know they're televising all the Gold Cup matches live for anybody to watch online.

Yeah seathanaich, there are usually streams in the match threads bud.

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

Hey Nolberto. Actually, my point is that, no, I am not happy that the games are somewhere other than normally accesible tv. Nor should I be. Nor should anyone be. These games should be broadcast. They should be accessible to people. They should be on a network, and cross-advertised on other programmes so that they will actually reach people.

Darts and bowling make it onto "our" sports channels, yet the men's national team for the world's most popular sport does not. This isn't something that anyone should be apologising for or rationalising, it is something that any fan of Canadian soccer should be appalled by.

Apparently others on this thread are perfectly happy to make apologies for this situation, get off-topic, get all angry, etc. But none of this changes the situation. The non-broadcasting of these games is beyond bush league. Dispite your stupid post Rudi, you have admitted that the game wasn't broadcast in Ontario either, and that "many" were able to watch it. Not "all", but "many". In other words, as I pointed out, THE GAME WAS NOT BROADCAST. Downloading something on your pay-per-view Googleberry ipod or wherever "most" of the technogeeks on this site watched the game is not my definition of "broadcast", if we are talking about the world's most popular sport, and the one that more Canadians are registered to play than any other. "Broadcast" is something I watch on my widescreen tv in HD, not something I read updates on on this web site. I guess my expectations are a little higher than they realistically should be - this is just Canadian soccer - but as I said, I don't remember anything this Mickey Mouse since I first started watching the Gold Cup. And that's not progress, it's regress.

Jesus this is tilting. It's not impossible to follow, I know because I have watched a **** load of Canada games online through various streams. People keep pointing out where your statements are wrong and you just keep repeating yourself, my god you must be annoying in real life.

Apparently this is a pissing contest, not a thread.

Only if you want to make it one. I am correcting your factually incorrect statements about the broadcast. I'm sorry if you can't deal with that and you need to resort to anti-Toronto rhetoric. Good to see the patriotic spirit from you after we top the group - after all, when Canada goes on a five game undefeated streak, the first thing I think of doing is to go on to the internet make an untrue idiotic comment about people from another part of the country because they have their facts straight and I don't.

FYI I knew perfectly well that the game wasn't on Sporstnet Pacific, just like it wasn't on Sportsnet Ontario. Unlike you I also knew that the game was still on Sportsnet, as the other Canada games had been. That's why I corrected your assertion that the games were not on television. If you don't like being corrected on basic facts, get a thicker skin.

Getting back to the thread, one other thing I noticed is how much more comfortable De Jong looked in his natural left-back position. We've got some options back there. On the other hand, I'd rather have Hainault at CB than Hastings when it comes to deputizing for Jakovic.

Hey Nolberto. Actually, my point is that, no, I am not happy that the games are somewhere other than normally accesible tv. Nor should I be. Nor should anyone be. These games should be broadcast. They should be accessible to people. They should be on a network, and cross-advertised on other programmes so that they will actually reach people.

Darts and bowling make it onto "our" sports channels, yet the men's national team for the world's most popular sport does not. This isn't something that anyone should be apologising for or rationalising, it is something that any fan of Canadian soccer should be appalled by.

Apparently others on this thread are perfectly happy to make apologies for this situation, get off-topic, get all angry, etc. But none of this changes the situation. The non-broadcasting of these games is beyond bush league. Dispite your stupid post Rudi, you have admitted that the game wasn't broadcast in Ontario either, and that "many" were able to watch it. Not "all", but "many". In other words, as I pointed out, THE GAME WAS NOT BROADCAST. Downloading something on your pay-per-view Googleberry ipod or wherever "most" of the technogeeks on this site watched the game is not my definition of "broadcast", if we are talking about the world's most popular sport, and the one that more Canadians are registered to play than any other. "Broadcast" is something I watch on my widescreen tv in HD, not something I read updates on on this web site. I guess my expectations are a little higher than they realistically should be - this is just Canadian soccer - but as I said, I don't remember anything this Mickey Mouse since I first started watching the Gold Cup. And that's not progress, it's regress.

All I can say is "WELCOME TO CANADIAN SOCCER REALITY" Sorry for the Caps, but you're not the only one fighting an uphill battle to get more games televised. I think your expectations are too high for Canadian standards, but if you want to keep pestering Sportsnet, TSN, CBC with e-mails, by all means, my friend, go get them. Others have tried and failed or made little progress. But yeah, like everybody is saying. Even though Soccer is the No.1 registration sport for kids, that doesn't translate to alot of viewers. That's what TFC, the Whitecaps and other clubs are trying to do is get the game popular again, and I wish I was in Vancouver during the Great Soccer Bowl Run that the Whitecaps, had, as I was told that thousands upon thousands lined up. Hopefully someday, Local footy will take interest to the masses.

Dispite your stupid post Rudi, you have admitted that the game wasn't broadcast in Ontario either, and that "many" were able to watch it. Not "all", but "many". In other words, as I pointed out, THE GAME WAS NOT BROADCAST.

No, I said the game was not broadcast on Sportsnet Ontario, I didn't say it wasn't broadcast in Ontario, because that would be untrue.

I watched it on a stream because I do not have digital cable or satellite, but those who do were able to watch the match on television.

So for the umpteetnth time, THE MATCH WAS BROADCAST.

I actually agree that these matches should ideally be made more widely available to the masses, but that's not the case. However, your railing on about the game not being broadcast when you were clearly incorrect was just stupid, and the more you make snide remarks, the dumber you seem.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Getting back to the thread, one other thing I noticed is how much more comfortable De Jong looked in his natural left-back position. We've got some options back there. On the other hand, I'd rather have Hainault at CB than Hastings when it comes to deputizing for Jakovic.

Agreed on all counts.

I don't think Jackson starts next game, he looked a little lost up there, and doesn't seem to have much chemistry with Gerba when they are on the pitch together.

That said, I think Peters has seen his stock rise a bit after this match, but then where does he play with a midfield of JDG, Hutchinson, Bernier and Johnson? Will Johnson didn't have a stellar game, but I think he fits in nicely with the midfield vets.

All in all a nice problem to have.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

Didn't make it to the game because Miami is the sixth circle of hell and all hotel employees are liars, so no live-and-in-person update from me, guys. Sorry.

Travel all that way for the game and didn't see it? Wow, that sucks big time.

quote:Getting back to the thread, one other thing I noticed is how much more comfortable De Jong looked in his natural left-back position. We've got some options back there. On the other hand, I'd rather have Hainault at CB than Hastings when it comes to deputizing for Jakovic.

Hastings looked horrible, the guy will never change his game. I'm not sold on Andre playing a Fullback spot going foward isn't his thing, I've always seen him as good in the air and rugged in the centre of the park. Dejong looked natural at LB, started out tentative but found his flow later in the match. The youth and energy on the backline is refreshing to see

The match wasn't on TV here, so guess what I did! I went out of my house (gasp!) and went somewhere to watch the game. What a stunning revelation! That guy is basically the Greg Sutton (or Richard Hastings) of TV watching.

As for the game, great effort from the B (or maybe B+) team. Beat Honduras so I can go to Chicago please.

Allright well not get too out of hand. Everyone agrees with you that Networks should be fighting tooth and nail for rights to these games. They should be the most coveted and accessible to everyone. However, the fact that you could walk into any sportsbar in the city and watch this game says that soccer in this country is better than it was.

Anyway this is all rapidly de-railing off topic.

I will say that this sense of entitlement I felt towards a first place finish throughout the game, feels pretty damn good.

Someone said it earlier, but we're really thin at RB after Stalteri.

I believe Legerwood can play there, but who else can push for that spot after Stally hangs them up? Nana Attakora is the only other person I can think of that has been playing RB at a high level recently, unless I'm completely missing someone. I know Harmse used to play there in his earlier days, but Nana has already surpassed him IMO.

I like the thought of Peters at RB, Can't remember us ever having a swashbuckling RB, I guess will have to see if the transformation takes place at Ipswich this year. I like Nana, he's grown quite a bit I think you'll see from him offensively as his confidence grows. Like you said Ledgerwood is a Candidate.

Canada's situation at RB is exactly like Ireland at LB. Useless Kevin Kilbane gets lit up for goal after goal but no one can step into replace him. I hope we're not on the same course with Stalteri.

quote:Originally posted by sinhaya

Where does DeRo fit in the mix? Is it time for him to retire from international duty given his age?

I think all the older guys should be allowed to play until they can no longer cut it at that level (cue Grizzly to tell us that DeRo has never cut it at that level).

DeRo especially brings something in his game that no one else in Canada can. He's a strict vegan and keeps himself in terrific shape, so he should be able to perform for a number of years yet.

Add in the fact that he has a definite chemistry with De Guzman and Gerba, and I think he should stick around for a while longer.

Radz was able to contribute in his mid 30's, so I can definitely see some of our vets like DeRo and perhaps Stalteri still contribute in a few years' time.

"That guy is basically the Richard Hastings of TV watching."....good one.

i had the game on two sportsnet channels here in winnipeg...

try being a rugby fan...the nats have their biggest game in 2 years tomorrow...the second half of a home and away series v. the americans...winner qualifies for the world cup...rugby canada just announced today, less than 24 hours before the game that they will prop up a camcorder somewhere in the park and webcast the game on some youtube-like site that is generally for posting home movies on.

quote:Originally posted by Lomonty

I like the thought of Peters at RB, Can't remember us ever having a swashbuckling RB

Would Peters be defensively astute/responsible enough to play that role, though?

Having watched a similar player here at TFC (Marvell Wynne) amaze with pace and physical play but continually get beat due to poor tactical awareness, I'm wary of a Peters-type back there for Canada, especially simnce I have no recollection of him actually playing there for either club or country.

Attakora is quite pacey and is almost impossible to beat 1v1 (at least in MLS), although he doesn't have much going forward. Having not seen Legerwood in years, I don't know enough to make a comparison, but from what I remember about him, and given the level he currently plies his trade, I'd say he's right now the likeliest candidate to take over from Stalteri.

It's sucks we have nothing to play for till 2014 but the youth movement happening in this gold cup can rejuvenate the older vets to focus and play harder to keep their spots when qualification starts up again. That being said I pray everyday for capable RB to replace Stalteri guy has turned into a spaz

quote:Would Peters be defensively astute/responsible enough to play that role, though?

Having watched a similar player here at TFC (Marvell Wynne) amaze with pace and physical play but continually get beat due to poor tactical awareness, I'm wary of a Peters-type back there for Canada, especially simnce I have no recollection of him actually playing there for either club or country.

Keano gave Peters time at RB for Ipswich Town too close the season out. He performed well enough to keep a spot in the side for the month of April something he didn't have all year.

I hear you Marvel Wynne's horrible

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Would Peters be defensively astute/responsible enough to play that role, though?

Attakora is quite pacey and is almost impossible to beat 1v1 (at least in MLS), although he doesn't have much going forward. Having not seen Legerwood in years, I don't know enough to make a comparison, but from what I remember about him, and given the level he currently plies his trade, I'd say he's right now the likeliest candidate to take over from Stalteri.

I think he has some of the skills for it, like tackling and energy but will he focus on the position and be consistent? I'm hoping just playing him as rb will keep him mindful of being defensively vigilant but that could be optimism.

edit: If he became a good right back, with his speed it could be amazing, when someones got decent pace all a defender has to do is make the attacker hesitat and the beaten defender can get back in front.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

I think he has some of the skills for it, like tackling and energy but will he focus on the position and be consistent? I'm hoping just playing him as rb will keep him mindful of being defensively vigilant but that could be optimism.

edit: If he became a good right back, with his speed it could be amazing, when someones got decent pace all a defender has to do is make the attacker hesitant and the beaten defender can get back in front.

Agreed. I think a guy like Peters, who has played a few positions at club level, would only be really useful for Canada at RB if he were playing that position regularly at club level. If Ipswich grooms him there next year I could see him getting a crack at Stalteri's spot.

BTW, it just dawned on me, I wonder if Stalteri might pack it in after this Gold Cup. 32 in October, he might want to take a permanent break from the CSA circus ride and all the transatlantic flights. Is this his last hurrah?

Archived