GC - July 10 - Canada vs. Costa Rica

i know we shouldn't be looking too far ahead but after watching last night's game between usa and honduras, i think we will have the upper hand. both teams looked completely disorganized and i think with the way that canada is playing and the system they are using, we could take either one of these teams.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by rdroze

[i've been trying to estimate what our FIFA ranking will be, and yes, it should take a big jump. Even if we were to lose the next two games this tournament (worst case scenario), we'd still gain about 100 ranking points, which might work out to around 20 positions, putting us somewhere in the mid-low 70s.

But of course we're going to do better than that!

Does it even matter if you win games or not? Based on your rough computation, it appears that just playing games is enough to jump up in the FIFA rankings.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I don't recall ever seeing a Central American side close us down in our own third, I can't see them starting now. The Ticos are probably happy to take a point, so I wouldn't expect much different that what we saw from El Salvador. They will put balls on Sutton and flop around with any contact in the attacking third.

I recall in matches vs CR (away to them for WCQ in 2004, Mitchell's first home friendly at BMO in 2007) where they put pressure on us. Especially in the former match, where we'd start with a short goal kick to a fullback only to have the ball backpassed for Onstad to clear after only a couple of passes. Granted, this GC is a different situation and environment so the Ticos might just sit back and do as you predict.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Does it even matter if you win games or not? Based on your rough computation, it appears that just playing games is enough to jump up in the FIFA rankings.

No, it matters very much whether you win. Losing games will definitely lower your ranking.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I was saying that given the fact that we've already beaten Jamaica and El Salvador (and Guatemala), we're due for a big jump, even if we do nothing else this tournament.

"Holger's Heroes" (1999-2003) R.I.P.

"The Frank Yallop Experience" (2004-2006) R.I.P.

"Let's shoot ourselves in the foot and hire Dale Mitchell" (2007-2008) R.I.P.

Now let's make it 5 Wins in row for...

The HART Foundation (2009 - World Cup Brasil 2014)

FINALLY!%20hart%20foundation.bmp

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

Simpson was strong if not brilliant, De Jong had a good cameo but I don't think played himself into the team.

Is it just me, or does every time Dobson says "De Jong", it sounds like he's saying "Dionne"?

I keep hearing "Marcel Dionne" and thinking isn't he a little old to be playing, never mind playing the wrong sport? :D

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

"Holger's Heroes" (1999-2003) R.I.P.

"The Frank Yallop Experience" (2004-2006) R.I.P.

"Let's shoot ourselves in the foot and hire Dale Mitchell" (2007-2008) R.I.P.

Now let's make it 5 Wins in row for...

The HART Foundation (2009 - World Cup Brasil 2014)

Ooooooh... inspiration. Stay tuned for a graffic... (not that BrennanFan's isn't nice...)

What about "The Hart of Canada"?

quote:Originally posted by nafnikufesin

Is it just me, or does every time Dobson says "De Jong", it sounds like he's saying "Dionne"?

I keep hearing "Marcel Dionne" and thinking isn't he a little old to be playing, never mind playing the wrong sport? :D

haha i've noticed that too...

quote:Originally posted by doopy

CONCACAF ref controversy article...

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/concacaf-gold-cup-mls-in-the-spotlight/4832/comment-page-1/

Who's the ref on Friday?

I've watched a few matches in this tournament, including last nights US-Honduras match and I've been impressed by the officiating overall.

Edit: This comment was made before Aguirre kicked Ricardo Phillips in the testicles. [xx(]

quote:Originally posted by rdroze

I've been trying to estimate what our FIFA ranking will be, and yes, it should take a big jump. Even if we were to lose the next two games this tournament (worst case scenario), we'd still gain about 100 ranking points, which might work out to around 20 positions, putting us somewhere in the mid-low 70s.

But of course we're going to do better than that!

I have slighlty different numbers for our points so far:

Points = 3 [for the win] * 3 [for the multiplier] * ((200-65)/100) [Opp. Strength] * 0.85 [Conference strength] * 100

1032.75 pts for Jamaica

841.5 pts for El Salvador

If we count Guatemala, that is 232 extra points.

A win over Costa Rica would be another 1300 points.

Do these then get divided by 10 or what?

quote:Originally posted by Lomonty

Any yellows picked up against Costa Rica will not carry on to the quarter finals. I would serioulsy give a half hour to Jamie Peters in this game, if we're down one he gives us more of a threat then Stalteri if we're up one let's use his speed and dribbling ability on overlapping runs when having the possession in the Costa Rican end.

So if you have one yellow it doesn't carry over to the quarters, but if you pick up your second yellow you're out of the quarters?

quote:Originally posted by Lurker

So if you have one yellow it doesn't carry over to the quarters, but if you pick up your second yellow you're out of the quarters?

Correct.. if De Guzman, Stalteri or Klukowski pick up a yellow vs Costa Rica they will miss the Quarter-Final match...

quote:Originally posted by Lurker

I've watched a few matches in this tournament, including last nights US-Honduras match and I've been impressed by the officiating overall.

You might want to amend your comments after last night's clusterf*ck.

Archived