Brennan demands changes to national soccer team

Steve B

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

"I want to be very careful in what I say. There are a lot of issues. There are a few people who shouldn't be there, there are a few people on the bench who shouldn't be there," Brennan said. "When this World Cup campaign is over, I think a lot of players will come out and say how they feel, but they can't right now because of the situation."

Is he referring to Harmse?

NO

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The comment about the bench players brings responses that swing wildly from 'absolutely agree!!' to 'are you kidding me??' depending on whether he is talking about the roster for games gone by or the one upcoming.

If he is talking about the games gone by, I would have to call him on that because everyone was worthy of a call up, based on either or both of past experience and current club situation. If he is talking about who was put ON THE FIELD and who was LEFT ON THE BENCH, then we would be seeing eye to eye, I think.

I think there are some real stinkers on the latest roster announcement, beginning with the Talented Mr Harmse.

Got to love the bull**** some people triumph on this board.

Guess what? Even though playing for Canada is something that's important to these players, they are people as well and may actually speak their mind every once in a while about the problems they face. All Brennan is saying is what's happening. We already know the team is a mess and the players have no confidence in Mitchell.

Stories like this are going to be a dime a dozen in football this year. This board will probably be the only place where the player is going to take more flack than the actual system.

Just goes to show that Jim Brennan is all about Jim Brennan, as he's always been. He's fallen out with every national team manager he's ever played under, he's felt that he can pick and choose when he can show up and not. A lot of these players have suffered under the same management and same incompetent CSA bullsh_t. They have always got on with the job or made their comments in a far more responsible way. I, for one, hope that Jim Brennan never represents out country again, the selfish c_nt.

Jim Brennan has stolen a living in professional football, and is continuing to do so with Toronto FC. He's a bit part player for Canada, hence is exclusion from this latest squad. And as much as him talking is important and will help fuel change, it is useless mudslinging. What are his problems with Dale Mitchell? Who are the others on the bench that don't belong? And why is he so in love with Stephen Hart and Nick Dasovic? What are they doing so differently than Dale Mitchell?

Gutless, and sour grapes if you ask me. If he says all this before he is shown to have been dropped then it has some legs, and some credability. Instead, it just looks like he's sulking and quitting.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

This board will probably be the only place where the player is going to take more flack than the actual system.

You gotta be kidding! Aside from a couple posts in this thread, the players get a free ride at this site (save the whipping boy de jour). Sorry, I'm not drinkin' Jimmy's Kool-Aid.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Pathetic timing on Brennan's part. Total nonsense ahead of such a "dire" situation for our nats. Did it have to be said? YEP. Timing? no good. Do it right after Mexico, or after WCQ during a televised interview. Very right to be pissed to not receive a phone call. Yet another piece of evidence the CSA bungs things up, rather than improving them.

Don't know what the CSA has to do with JB not getting a courtesy call. The responsibility for the absence of such goes straight to Dale Mitchell and his management team.

Since Hart seems to be held in such high terms by Brennan, and Hart is the assistant coach (the default player/coach liaison in my books) I'd have thought Hart would be handling that but who knows what sort of routine or protocol they have set up between them.

By the way, I have absolutely no problem with JB's timing. Does come off as a bit of sour grapes things being what they are, but overall I have no issue with his timing otherwise. Just wish he'd jumped to it sooner.

Got to love the bull**** some people triumph on this board.

Guess what? Even though playing for Canada is something that's important to these players, they are people as well and may actually speak their mind every once in a while about the problems they face. All Brennan is saying is what's happening. We already know the team is a mess and the players have no confidence in Mitchell.

Stories like this are going to be a dime a dozen in football this year. This board will probably be the only place where the player is going to take more flack than the actual system.

AGREE !!

I'm not sure if some of posters here actually read the article.

How can you miss the fact that he was cut,and no one told him until roster was published,very respectful from CSA and DM who just proved again he doesn't have a balls at all,useless C*nt.

It easy to come out when is everything lost and done,that is right timing for some of you.

It is never a right timing a year ago it was wrong timing for SACK the CSA protest,after only few friendly games this spring when we lost to Estonia(month ago Estonia was beaten by Bosnia 7-0)wasn't a right timing,years are going by and I don't remember that was ever a right timing for Voyageurs to SACK THE CSA or support own CMNT player who decided to come out against CSA,how PATHETIC!

And he wasn't talking just about him alone,but he is selfish according to some of you.

quote:"I give out respect and for them to not even pick up a phone and say you won't be involved — which is fair enough and I can handle that — but to not even get a call that I wasn't selected and there were a few other players in the same boat as me, I think it's disgraceful."

SACK THE CSA !!!

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I'm proud of Jim. Someone had to say it. He has nothing to lose.

Yes, but his country does, and that's what playing for your country is all about.

I can perhaps understand his frustration from not getting called, and even criticizing Mitchell. What I find inexcusable is a deliberately throwing a wrench into the national team and by the timing of his comments & most especially, taking it out on some of his teammates. Who, pray tell, has Mitchell selected in these past 5 games that shouldn't be allowed to represent his country?

Delibately sowing seeds of discord while we're still alive is basically putting the hammer into our coffin.

He's now fallen out with Holger, Yallop & Mitchell. At some point you have to look at what the common demoninator is.

Got news for Jim - I'm not aware of any country where they call upon marginal players to the national team to let them know they haven't been called. There was one Italian national team player who complained about this happening during Dino Zoff's time as coach of Italy, he responded by saying "If I don't call you, it's because I don't need you".

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

They're great, until this band of underachievers tosses them under the bus like they're doing to Mitch.

POST of the year 100% :)

You are actually saying it is players fault not D.Mitchell the same DM who managed to go trough the WC U20 scoreless,same DM who went to Mexico and tried to defend for 90 minutes.

WOW

Are you DM in disguise? I don't think DM would make such a statement as you just did.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Since Hart seems to be held in such high terms by Brennan, and Hart is the assistant coach (the default player/coach liaison in my books) I'd have thought Hart would be handling that but who knows what sort of routine or protocol they have set up between them.

I'll go one better than Hart - Dasovic is both the assistant coach for both the national team and TFC.

Brennan is acting like his place on the National team is some sort of divine right for him. It's not for him nor any other player, but especially so when he's not always made himself available. I don't see why the coach of a national team has to call everyone in the national team's player pool personally before each match to explain why they might not be called for a particular match, which is essentially what is being suggested here.

It's either an honour to represent your country or it isn't.

Everyone here who disagrees with what Jim Brennan did but then whines about the CSA all the time is a complete hypocrite. Give me a break. Whether or not it was professional has nothing to do with it. What has the CSA done that is professional?? Seriously people, make up your minds. Someone finally puts pressure on the CSA like people wanted all along, and now everyone here is divided.

quote:Originally posted by deschamp86

Everyone here who disagrees with what Jim Brennan did but then whines about the CSA all the time is a complete hypocrite. Give me a break. Whether or not it was professional has nothing to do with it. What has the CSA done that is professional?? Seriously people, make up your minds. Someone finally puts pressure on the CSA like people wanted all along, and now everyone here is divided.

What he said [^]

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I think there are some real stinkers on the latest roster announcement, beginning with the Talented Mr Harmse.

Well a suggestion has been made by VPjr that Harmse is not one of the players he is referring to, but can you imagine if it was? That would make for some wonderful team chemistry at TFC.....

quote:Originally posted by deschamp86

Everyone here who disagrees with what Jim Brennan did but then whines about the CSA all the time is a complete hypocrite.

It seems to me that most of the people who disagree with what (& when) Brennan has said here are the same people who do not "whine about the CSA all the time", but prefer to keep an open mind about things, choosing to criticize when its valid instead of all the time. Furthermore, just because one is critical of Brennan's comments it doesn't mean that they are defending the CSA in any way. Because somebody makes a bad situation worse, does that mean we supposed to turn around and applaud?

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

"I want to be very careful in what I say. There are a lot of issues. There are a few people who shouldn't be there, there are a few people on the bench who shouldn't be there," Brennan said. "When this World Cup campaign is over, I think a lot of players will come out and say how they feel, but they can't right now because of the situation."

Is he referring to Harmse?

I thought in the context of the article he was talking about the staff on the bench not the players... the timing is poor in either case.

quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

POST of the year 100% :)

You are actually saying it is players fault not D.Mitchell the same DM who managed to go trough the WC U20 scoreless,same DM who went to Mexico and tried to defend for 90 minutes.

WOW

Are you DM in disguise? I don't think DM would make such a statement as you just did.

JB Tito, is that the same Dale Mitchell who was at the helm of the U-20 team in 2003 who has the best result ever for a Canadian men's team in a WC?

The irony with Jim Brennan is that he's playing every weekend for a pathetic coach and he doesn't say a word.....think about it.

Just the best example of players getting a free pass here is the report about some players (including JDG) attending a party the night they lost to Honduras in MTL. No reaction apart from 2-3 posters....In a serious soccer country players would get shot for that kind of attitude. Do you think Rio Ferdinand went into a bar in London after England lost to Croatia in last year Euro qualifiers??? People on this forum are often complaining about soccer not being run professionally in this country, sometimes WE should act like any other fans would've done in that situation and asking the players what's this all about....

I've plenty more to say abut this but I think I'll just shut up because some of the people here reminds me of americans and the war on terror with their "you're either with us or against us" attitude.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Delibately sowing seeds of discord while we're still alive is basically putting the hammer into our coffin.

If you in any way believe that, then you are just letting the team off easy.

So despite Jimmy B being a marginal NT player the facts seem to be we've capped him near 50 times. So we must have been in some need of average players all these years.

Again, we have a system of professionals athletes being run by amateurs, i think the level of fustration is understandable. He won't be the last to say something like this.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

I thought in the context of the article he was talking about the staff on the bench not the players... the timing is poor in either case.

Well if so, after the coaching staff (who he's already discussed), what staff is there that is left on the bench..........Garret Kusch?

So despite Jimmy B being a marginal NT player the facts seem to be we've capped him near 50 times.

Most of which came between 1999 & 2002. It's in the past six years where he has not been a national team stalwart, part of which is not his fault, but part of which is his own doing. He hasn't been a key member of the national team in some time and wasn't even a first choice starter for the past year, hence the using the term "marginal".

This was ripe for the picking ten to fifteen years ago. It really started to rot on the vine about five years ago and now its a pile of crappy stinking food on the ground the CSA is still harvesting and selling to the Canadian soccer public.

Timing ? No wonder the CSA goes on oblivious in perpetuity.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

The comment about the bench players brings responses that swing wildly from 'absolutely agree!!' to 'are you kidding me??' depending on whether he is talking about the roster for games gone by or the one upcoming.

If he is talking about the games gone by, I would have to call him on that because everyone was worthy of a call up, based on either or both of past experience and current club situation. If he is talking about who was put ON THE FIELD and who was LEFT ON THE BENCH, then we would be seeing eye to eye, I think.

Exactly how I feel. Look, that list of call ups is terrible, there are players on that list who were cut from some MLS teams( two players), barely out of college and not even established in their pro careers, some who didn't even get noticed in USL, some who have been sitting on the bench or not dressed for an eternity with their clubs and some who have bounced around like a Lacross ball from club to club while playing in places that no ones has ever heard of much less able to locate on a map.

Meanwhile, Brennan is not getting called or getting playing time despite the fact that he is a starter and captain for his club. And never misses a game. And, no player gets called from a side who is practically in the quarter finals of the Concacaf champions league. Nor are there any players from a side who will play in a final. I sure hope its not because they refused a callup. Because if it is, I'd like hear the logic as to why a guy gets lambasted for being upset for not getting called and not getting playing time while those who refuse to report are applauded

If he didn't care at all, he probably wouldn't have anything to say. But if he's speaking up, it obviously because he cares.

Archived