Brennan demands changes to national soccer team

Steve B

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I'm proud of Jim. Someone had to say it. He has nothing to lose. He will not be involved in the next WCQ cycle.

I also know that his words are not only his own. He's not necessarily speaking for a large group of players but his sentiments are shared by many (not all) involved on the squad. Too many others have too much to lose if they spoke their minds. They've had their say behind the scenes when Montagliani canvassed their opinions following Mexico.

I will agree with the comment that I would have prefered that these comments came out immediately after it became clear that the replacement coach that the CSA was courting would not materialize and that we would be stuck with DM for the final 3 games (and I fully expect he will be leading the team to the Gold Cup next year too, like it or not). I don't take issue with the timing because it might disrupt the team....I really dont care about that. As far as I'm concerned, we're playing out the string, no matter what the mathematical odds are. I just think that it would have forced the CSA's hand had he said it earlier. Nonetheless, kudos to Jim. It's time for the soccer professionals to start taking soccer in Canada back from the amateurs.

I totally agree. There was nothing to be gained from delaying his statements to the press. A dramatic moment was required in order to further highlight the Mitchell problem. The team plays on in spite of Mitchell.

Sadly, CSA has already given up on qualifying. If they hadn't, they would have made the needed move but decisiveness should never be looked for from the amateurs.

The CSA has, for all intents and purposes, abandoned the MNT to its inevitable fate. They can say what they will in order to protect themselves in the Ottawa mansion but the fact is that when they should have made the move, immediately after the loss to Honduras, but instead they fiddled while our hopes burned to ashes.

They could have handed the job to Hart immediately and he seemlessly would have shifted into the top job and the team would have been much the better for it.

Every player on that roster knew what had to be done ... but the CSA did nothing because they are on the hook to pay Dale and didn't want to look foolish in regards to their idiotic hiring decision.

It is one more nail in the figurative coffin of the CSA.

Jimmy B did what he had to do!

Thank you Jimmy!

db

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Jim Brennan has played like crap this WCQ. So many other players have played like crap this WCQ. If the players making the criticism had played well it would be a lot more believable. When the players show up on the field I will listen to them a lot more off the field. No matter what the CSA did, no matter what the local organization, no matter who the coach is, the Voyageurs showed up with numbers and heart. The team did not. We sang Dale Mitchell's Army even though many of us didn't believe in him as a coach. We did our part, the players did not do their part. Fu-ck Brennan, the only people that have a right to be pissed off are us who showed up for every game and gave our all unlike the players!

Hey Grizz,

Any post now I expect you to tell us badly Brennan played against Jamaica!

:)

db

Yeah Yeah Yeah The CSA, The CSA, The CSA.

The players were out partying after the defeat in MTL and no one says a word but the CSA is the guilty party here.

I'm sorry, I believe the CSA has made plenty of mistakes in the past but when are the people here going to realize the players have to be held responsible as well for their poor showing in those first 3 games?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Jim Brennan has played like crap this WCQ.

But he hardly played.

Game 1 versus Jam: Unused sub- 0 minutes played

Game 2 versus Hon: subbed in in the 83rd min - 7 minutes +

Game 3 versus Mex: started, subbed out in 65th min

In the first two games ( the ones at home where we actually had a chance ) he played a grand total of appox 7-10 minutes.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Gerry Dobson doesn't add much. I like the responses to his blog entry though, particularily the one from the guy who says he doesn't know much about soccer

Gerry doesn't say much, because like many here, he is thinking, "What a selfish, gutless ahole"

We have the CMNT's own version of Vic Hadfield.

As I mentioned in my previous post there is lots of blame to go around(CSA, players, coaches, fans in Mtl)! It's a total mess! Imagine if JDG's shot is 2 inches lower and Gerbas' shot is just inside the post, all would be well, we'd be looking at clinching a spot in the hex with a ain Saturday, instead we have a good old fashioned bitchfest!

quote:Originally posted by chuphone

I don't know how anyone can say this is the wrong time to make these comments. Following the Mexico loss the media coverage of the MNT was next to nothing.

Maybe in Edmonton that was the case but it wasn't in Toronto. If Brennan spoke up to the media in Toronto about this at the time, I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't have listened.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

Well said GL.

Well I am not one of the ones who whines about the CSA all the time and yet I happen to be one who doesn't think the Brennan and Sutton were given a fair shot.

Granted when you only collect one point in two critical home games against sides you are supposed to beat to advance, you certainly cant chaulk it up to the exlusion of one or two players.

But taken in isolation, it doeent mean that he doesn't have a point. And when i saw that video, I am even more confused at some of the over the top reactions here. I dont see from that interview what was said that was disruptive to the team, nor indicative of ego or self centreness. Maybe if he played for a different club, the reactions would have been different.

^It's the fact that he spoke in abstract terms about why he is quitting/cut. He is essentially creating controversy prior to a WCQ match without saying why - other than "its the coach". No specifics. That in itself is disruptive. If you're going to say anything - let it all out. That what the fans deserve.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Maybe in Edmonton that was the case but it wasn't in Toronto. If Brennan spoke up to the media in Toronto about this at the time, I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't have listened.

That may be true, but I find it hard to believe the rest of the country would have heard anything. It is good to know that at least somewhere the MNT gets some media coverage, though.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But he hardly played.

Game 1 versus Jam: Unused sub- 0 minutes played

Game 2 versus Hon: subbed in in the 83rd min - 7 minutes +

Game 3 versus Mex: started, subbed out in 65th min

In the first two games ( the ones at home where we actually had a chance ) he played a grand total of appox 7-10 minutes.

Now, now.... let's not inject fact into the witchhunt :D

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I think there are other people in this list he's talking about:

Head of delegation / Chef de délégation : Dominic Maestracci

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef : Dale Mitchell

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Stephen Hart

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Nick Dasovic

Goalkeeper coach / Entraîneur des gardiens : Paul Dolan

Manager / Gérant : Morgan Quarry

Equipment manager / Gérant d’équipements : Mike Moretto

Physiotherapist / Physiothérapeute : Garret Kusch

Physiotherapist / Physiothérapeute : Dave Foley

Doctor / Docteur : Dr. Michael Campbell

Who is Dr. Michael Campbell is he medical doctor.. i cant seem to find him listed in Canada..

Guest Jeffery S.

It is very unprofessional for Brennan to be saying this now. I find it a sign of incredible immaturity.

Usually there is a time for the sht to fly. Fans are free to run about at the mouth, but the pros should not, neither the suits nor the coaches nor staff nor players. Until, of course, you are technically in or out, qualified or not, relegated or promoted. As long as a team is still alive those involved should be more discreet.

Apart from all this, he just gifted an opportunity to Dale to be right, and to come out looking right. No player can ever demand anything of their country or national team, and hundreds of deserving players every year get screwed out of opportunities with their respective national teams by wacky coaches. I think of Giuly not being called to the World Cup by Domenech (who is a real nut, I admit). Brennan is no where big enough a star or so important to expect anything more than to serve his country and do the best he can, and when asked his opinion, when the country is without a coach for example, to give it.

I am frankly disappointed with the quality and intelligence of comments by our players lately. Don't we have anyone on the field who can also be minimally articulate and mature off of it? I mean not even our former players are particularly good, we don't have a single, accepted voice amongst current or former players that we can respect, and that on top of that, is respectful precisely because it makes sense.

Archived