Brennan demands changes to national soccer team

Steve B

Just watched the video and I find it even worse, what he said. In fact, he says several times that "After the campaign is over, several other players will be talking about how things were during this campaign." Let me translate your own comment for you JB, "After the campaign is over the players who are not selfish prima donnas and who put the team before themselves will be talking about how things were during this campaign." I don't doubt that there are some legitimate beefs that the players have with Mitchell and the CSA but as JB himself implied the time to remove yourself from the program and criticize it is when the campaign is over not while we still have a chance slim as it may be. Had he made such comments right after the Mexico game when there was a chance Mitchell might be fired I would give him credit for doing so at a time it might have made a difference. Doing it then would have been ballsy, doing it now is a gutless betrayal of the team and its fans who are still clinging on to some hope.

I think JB's attitude goes a long way to showing why we are doing so poorly in this WCQ. In fact, it is a more important factor than the mediocre, uninspiring coach. As critical as I am myself of Mitchell, the fact is he put our best players on the field in a tactic that which may not have been ideal was still possible for them to win under. The blame is still 75% players and 25% coach. I am 100% in favour of hiring an experienced successful coach for the team because it seems the players we have need that extra 25% that a top coach can bring. However, make no mistake about it, a more talented team with a stronger character would still have done better than they did regardless of who was the coach. We have done poorly up to now due to deficits within the players of the team moreso than deficits in the coaching staff though both were deficient.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by jimmynow

I commend Jimmy for coming out now. It's GREAT timing, just like Jamaica firing their coach after 3 weak results. Waiting until it's all over and forgotten is a waste of the moment.

How is this the same?? Did Jamaica not fire Simoes immediately following their 3rd game? If they had waited almost a month to do so then this would be similar, but otherwise they are totally different.

One is how it should have been handled (Jamiaca showing they refuse to tolerate poor performances by immediately firing Simoes) and one is how to act like a child (Brennan waiting a month until he wasnt named to the squad for the next WCQ fixtures to air his grievances).

Does nobody see the irony in this c*nts statements? He claims he decided that he wasn't going to play under Mitchell anymore after the Mexico game. Apparently, he had no obligation to inform anybody from the CSA, whether it be Mitchell, Hart, or Dasovic, or even one of the suits. Yet when he gets dropped from the team, the CSA are terrible for not calling to let him know. Where did he get the idea that the Canadian national team existed to <edit>

This is at least the third time that he's put himself ahead of the team. He's fallen out with three consecutive national team head coaches. Better players than him have been a part of the same program during this period and have showed up whenever called. He's the captain of the worst team in MLS, whose own fans have repeatedly questioned the heart of the team. He's not done a thing to merit a callup by anything other than default.

Dale Mitchell, like him or not, has done far more for football in Canada than Jim Brennan ever will. Even if he's making valid points, the timing of his remarks betray them as the bitter ramblings of a player whose ego has been bruised. I don't think Jim Brennan is fit to ever wear the Canadian shirt ever again.

Re Griz's post just above^.

I don't think we should expect every player to be cut from the same cloth. Some will protest as they see fit in a fashion they see fit while others will take their complaints to the grave. Now maybe I'm giving Brennan too much credit here but clearly he's suggesting there is trouble within the squad, the rot has set in, and he's chosen this moment to tell the world why. Five days after the roster came out. Four days before our do-or-die match in Honduras. Do you think he's that stupid? This isn't a selfish reckless move. This is street theatre with a moral.

The rot has set in with this squad and the quality of play we're seeing on the pitch is evidence of that.

*Shrug* The lads are gathered in Florida, this broadside is meant for their benefit and clearly aimed at Mitch and some of those surrounding him. If it's a dramatic enough move to put "them" on notice and that benefits the players behind closed doors then great.

Before this WCQ started everyone was going on about how great the team chemistry was, and how we managed to continually get our best players on the pitch,and to play in a manner that was best suited for our boys to succeed.... but the results have been anything but what we had hoped for.

Right now, I dont think anyone would say chemistry or moral is likely very good, and most would agree that the best players available wont all be there (of course that is mostly due to suspension and injuries but it is still true) for the next two games.... so maybe somehow the boys will band together, where they will exceed everyone's expectations and pull off a miracle.

I really truly do hope and pray for this .... but unfortunately, I jsut can't see it happening.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think JB's attitude goes a long way to showing why we are doing so poorly in this WCQ. In fact, it is a more important factor than the mediocre, uninspiring coach. As critical as I am myself of Mitchell, the fact is he put our best players on the field in a tactic that which may not have been ideal was still possible for them to win under. The blame is still 75% players and 25% coach. I am 100% in favour of hiring an experienced successful coach for the team because it seems the players we have need that extra 25% that a top coach can bring. However, make no mistake about it, a more talented team with a stronger character would still have done better than they did regardless of who was the coach. We have done poorly up to now due to deficits within the players of the team moreso than deficits in the coaching staff though both were deficient.

Could not have been stated better. Amen

My post before WCQ and after the Estonia game (03/26/2008), somewhat prescient methinks.

I see we have the usual CSA whining (apparently they can now control the weather) and Mitchell bashing.

When, oh when, is somebody going to step up and blame the players. This core group has been together long enough (with each playing at a reasonable competitive level) that they should be getting some results.

The players have to take some ownership. They want high profile friendlies and yet cannot be successful against supposed minnows.

I don't like to get on the players as they sacrifice themselves playing for their country (which is what it's all about) especially under conditions like today. But it has to be said, that this current group of players seems to lack heart and/or leadership.

Forrest, DeVos and the Vs favourite whipping boy Watson added grit to the lineup. We are missing that element, we don't seem to have any players that the opposition doesn't want to play against. This team needs somebody to stand up and take ownership in the worst way.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I think there are other people in this list he's talking about:

Head of delegation / Chef de délégation : Dominic Maestracci

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef : Dale Mitchell

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Stephen Hart

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Nick Dasovic

Goalkeeper coach / Entraîneur des gardiens : Paul Dolan

Manager / Gérant : Morgan Quarry

Equipment manager / Gérant d’équipements : Mike Moretto

Physiotherapist / Physiothérapeute : Garret Kusch

Physiotherapist / Physiothérapeute : Dave Foley

Doctor / Docteur : Dr. Michael Campbell

The head of delegation doesn't sit on the bench with the players & he's already being referenced with the first part of his comment. As for the rest, once you take away Hart & Dasovic none are really in any sort of position to make an influence on how the team plays on the field (unless you count Dolan) so putting the finger of any of them as the reason we are in the predicament we are in would be nothing short of farcical.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The problem is, if he's referring to players who have been newly called up (Wagenaar, De Jong, Pozniak and Harmse), he's throwing them under a bus before they've even had a chance to perform. Is this supposed to inspire them in some way, to be publicly decried as being too $hit for Canada by a national team player and in some cases a former/current teammate? He can not blame any of those four players (or someone like Jakovic) for us being in the predicament we are in, they haven't had anything to do with it.

I don't think anyone was under the impression that Brennan doesn't care - just because he does does not make this the right thing to say.

Incidentally using your criteria above Mitchell should only be calling up Hirshfeld and no back-up keeper at all, because after Sutton & Onstad who declined call-ups, we are left with keepers who have either bounced around from club to club or have not yet been established in their pro careers. Actually come to think of it, he shouldn't be calling up Hirshfeld either because he's really the only player (other than Stalteri) who hasn't played for their club in an eternity.

There is no reason for anyone on the team to feel slighted because, as is thae case with any group of people, they will just assume that he was referring to someone else. If you name names, thats a different story. Someone like Luis Figo went so far as to actually name names in a similar situation in regards to Deco. Yet there is no evidence that that had any detrimental impact. If anything, it probably made Deco play better. Dont know, but i have heard similar quotes from players all over the world in regards to their teams.

Brennan didn't say mention Wagenaar, De Jong, Pozniak and Harmse. Nor should he. He just looked at the situation and how he was utilized and must wonder what others have done to garner more playing time and call ups but out of respect for the others didn't make it a personal attack.

In short, there are two players IMO who were under utilized in the WCQ campaign and both play for the same club side. Dont know that Brennan would have made a difference on his own. But in the other case, Sutton, it cost valuable points and momentum right out of the gate. Statistally there is little to distinguish bettween Sutton and Onstad. You could seriously argue either way going in.

Well if so, after the coaching staff (who he's already discussed), what staff is there that is left on the bench..........Garret Kusch?

Mitchell being the primary one of course... and the head of the delegation perhaps... I think as you've said Gian-Luca it was a clumsy effort. Sometimes when you've got a mic stuck in your face the mouth runs raster than the brain. I truly think this was directed at the staff and administration not the players - may not have come off that way in the ongoing micro-analysis here but I think his broadside was aimed at the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Just watched the video and I find it even worse, what he said. In fact, he says several times that "After the campaign is over, several other players will be talking about how things were during this campaign." Let me translate your own comment for you JB, "After the campaign is over the players who are not selfish prima donnas and who put the team before themselves will be talking about how things were during this campaign." I don't doubt that there are some legitimate beefs that the players have with Mitchell and the CSA but as JB himself implied the time to remove yourself from the program and criticize it is when the campaign is over not while we still have a chance slim as it may be. Had he made such comments right after the Mexico game when there was a chance Mitchell might be fired I would give him credit for doing so at a time it might have made a difference. Doing it then would have been ballsy, doing it now is a gutless betrayal of the team and its fans who are still clinging on to some hope.

That just about sums it up for me as well. I couldn't help but think that the reason why no comments like this were not aired publicly after after the Mexico match because the players were too busy partying in a Chiapas night club.

I do not know what horrible acts as a coach Dale Mitchell has supposedly done to the players, but whatever they are, it's not going to excuse the players for making excuses before the tourney even started, partying after losses & in between games, complaining that all the games should be held in Montreal even after what happened at the Honduras game, and now this.

This team needs an attitude adjustment, or it won't get anywhere, with any coach.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Brennan didn't say mention Wagenaar, De Jong, Pozniak and Harmse. Nor should he. He just looked at the situation and how he was utilized and must wonder what others have done to garner more playing time and call ups but out of respect for the others didn't make it a personal attack.

I think this is barking up the wrong tree. Having now seen the video of his announcement it does appear that Jim Brennan has a problem with the staff, primarily with Mitchell, and not the players. There's no indication in the video interview that his problem is with Mitchell's player selection, but on how the players have allegedly been treated and Mitchell tactical decisions. And if he's wondering how it is that Klukowski is getting more playing time at his position, well frankly he shouldn't.

The fact that so many people (including both of us) initially thought he was referring to players when he made his comment about people not belonging on the bench is another example of poor timing & content of the comments, because rather than being "very careful" at what he said, he's made comments that were easily & naturally mis-interpreted.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

Mitchell being the primary one of course... and the head of the delegation perhaps... I think as you've said Gian-Luca it was a clumsy effort. Sometimes when you've got a mic stuck in your face the mouth runs raster than the brain. I truly think this was directed at the staff and administration not the players - may not have come off that way in the ongoing micro-analysis here but I think his broadside was aimed at the CSA.

Yeah I've come to that conclusion now as well, but only upon seeing the video interview (which appears to be a different interview than the one he did for John Molinaro, the author of the original article, altogether).

I think this is barking up the wrong tree. Having now seen the video of his announcement it does appear that Jim Brennan has a problem with the staff, primarily with Mitchell, and not the players. There's no indication in the video interview that his problem is with Mitchell's player selection, but on how the players have allegedly been treated and Mitchell tactical decisions. And if he's wondering how it is that Klukowski is getting more playing time at his position, well frankly he shouldn't.

The fact that so many people (including both of us) initially thought he was referring to players when he made his comment about people not belonging on the bench is another example of poor timing & content of the comments, because rather than being "very careful" at what he said, he's made comments that were easily & naturally mis-interpreted.

Thank you Gianluca. Seems some people are too quick to throw players under the bus when they speak honestly about the MNT. Jim Brennan, contrary to what some have said, has given years of loyal service to the MNT and I never heard him complain about anything until now. I do hope he wears that Canada kit again one day.

The head of delegation doesn't sit on the bench with the players & he's already being referenced with the first part of his comment. As for the rest, once you take away Hart & Dasovic none are really in any sort of position to make an influence on how the team plays on the field (unless you count Dolan) so putting the finger of any of them as the reason we are in the predicament we are in would be nothing short of farcical.

I think it's obvious: Mike Moretto OUT!

Needed to be said. Timing is irrelevant. Dale and the players can not be so obtuse as to not already know this - I doubt this will affect the final game either way. Dale should be long gone by now anyway.

Jim, I hope more players take a walk with you until there is wholesale change.

I don't know who, besides Mitchell he is referring to, but I certainly don't think it's to other players! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion/interpetation of what is said! I think it has been pointed out that there is some hypocrisy going on here, they want Mitchell out and don't have much good to say about the CSA, yet when a player has the balls to speak out he's critisised!As for the timing, when is the right time to speak out? I respect JB for his representing our country 50 times, he is also a club team captain which says something about his character and how others look at him! I also give credit to Gerry Dobson for capturing a candid interview! This whole thing is a mess, and as JB says, a lot more will come out at the end of the campaign, which in my opinion will be about midnight Saturday! There's a whole lot of blame to go around I'm sure! There's going to be some healthy heated debates on this board! Stay tuned!

I don't know how anyone can say this is the wrong time to make these comments. Following the Mexico loss the media coverage of the MNT was next to nothing. The only time this team gets any kind of respectable coverage after a game is when they win, so any comments made then would have been buried. However, for about a week before WCQ games, the MNT actually gets media attention and if the players want to make a statement, that's their window of opportunity. For a few brief days every four years the media actually appears to care about the team so if anyone is going to make a statement, this is the time.

Just to give you an example of what happens here in Edmonton prior to WCQ, the Edmonton Journal will run a half page article on what England is doing on page 2 of the sports section along with what Beckham ate for breakfast. Canada gets a paragraph on the third last page, and usually after news about the NCAA, Nascar, horse racing, and basket weaving. After the games, England gets page 2 again, if Canada wins or ties, they get a quarter page writeup on page 4, 5, or 6. If Canada loses, they get their standard paragraph at the back. Either way, there is no more print news until the next round of games. Anything that happens after the game isn't news. Things that happen before the games have a chance at being news.

Whether you like the comments or not, this is the only time that anyone outside of this board will see Brennan's comments. And you know what? If it creates a stir, maybe some of the 95% of this country that doesn't even know these games are happening will decide to tune in to see what the fuss is about.

As for affecting the morale of the team, let's hope Brennan's comments do affect the morale. Most of the players haven't looked like they even wanted to be at the first three games so it's not like things can get much worse. If we're lucky then his comments will get the team angry and they can show some emotion on the field.

Jim Brennan has played like crap this WCQ. So many other players have played like crap this WCQ. If the players making the criticism had played well it would be a lot more believable. When the players show up on the field I will listen to them a lot more off the field. No matter what the CSA did, no matter what the local organization, no matter who the coach is, the Voyageurs showed up with numbers and heart. The team did not. We sang Dale Mitchell's Army even though many of us didn't believe in him as a coach. We did our part, the players did not do their part. Fu-ck Brennan, the only people that have a right to be pissed off are us who showed up for every game and gave our all unlike the players!

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

"I want to be very careful in what I say. There are a lot of issues. There are a few people who shouldn't be there, there are a few people on the bench who shouldn't be there," Brennan said. "When this World Cup campaign is over, I think a lot of players will come out and say how they feel, but they can't right now because of the situation."

Is he referring to Harmse?

Don't be silly!

Only Canada promotes a coach who's record speaks for itself. All I can say is that the CSA should be dismantled and start up with a new Federation and have FIFA recognize it because this isn't going to change even if Jim Brennan and any other players comes and speaks out and say whatever, the same people within the CSA will continue to run it like they have in the past, we need fresh faces in there even if it means getting rid of them all, I think this Country deserves to see their National Soccer team be successful but we aren't going to achieve this with all of these people in the CSA who promote within and don't want to bring on new people with experience. They are the ones that are selfish not the players. Yes maybe the timing isn't correct but you know what this has gone long enough and people are fed up including the players.

Archived