Brennan demands changes to national soccer team

Steve B

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CSA might be classless in not informing Brennan about not being selected but Brennan is even more classless in coming out in the media with this stuff days before a WCQ game and possibly sowing dissent on the team. He has withdrawn himself from the team, ie. for the second time Brennan has abandoned Canada in WCQ. Whether the coaches sucked or not is no excuse. I am happy players are speaking out against the CSA and Mitchell (and for the most part agree with them) but the time to do it was either right after the Mexico game (when it would have taken some balls but damn the consequences Mitchell needed to be fired) or after we are officially eliminated. Doing it now shows once again what a selfish player Brennan is. I for one hope he never dons the Canada jersey again, he is unworthy of it.

^ Where did you get that '2nd time'?? He was not invited under Yallop for the opening home semi-final games in '04 and was sorely missed on the left side. If you are saying he declined, that is news to me. Link please.

Or are you talking about him declining last year's Gold Cup? WC. GC. One of these things is not like the other.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The CSA might be classless in not informing Brennan about not being selected but Brennan is even more classless in coming out in the media with this stuff days before a WCQ game and possibly sowing dissent on the team. He has withdrawn himself from the team, ie. for the second time Brennan has abandoned Canada in WCQ. Whether the coaches sucked or not is no excuse. I am happy players are speaking out against the CSA and Mitchell (and for the most part agree with them) but the time to do it was either right after the Mexico game (when it would have taken some balls but damn the consequences Mitchell needed to be fired) or after we are officially eliminated. Doing it now shows once again what a selfish player Brennan is. I for one hope he never dons the Canada jersey again, he is unworthy of it.

He wasn't called up for this match. He quit because of the way he was dropped (Mitchell didn't say anything to him). I agree with part of what you're saying. I think the players need to come out and demand change with regards to Mitchell, but now might not be the time he should have waited until these next two matches are over. I think its also a little bit of bitterness from Brennan on not being selected, but I still agree with what he is saying.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

^ Where did you get that '2nd time'?? He was not invited under Yallop for the opening home semi-final games in '04 and was sorely missed on the left side. If you are saying he declined, that is news to me. Link please.

From what I understand of it he told Yallop he would only accept an invitation if he was guaranteed playing time. Yallop did not agree to this condition and thus did not call him. I fully agree that Yallop selected his teams in an unprofessional and unfair manner so maybe this is what motivated Brennan's demands. However, in my books if you are a national team player you show up regardless of who the coach is and whether or not you like him. If you do not you are letting your country down.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

He wasn't called up for this match. He quit because of the way he was dropped (Mitchell didn't say anything to him). I agree with part of what you're saying. I think the players need to come out and demand change with regards to Mitchell, but now might not be the time he should have waited until these next two matches are over. I think its also a little bit of bitterness from Brennan on not being selected, but I still agree with what he is saying.

What if we surprise everyone and win the next two matches? What if we get some injuries at left back. Now we can't call Brennan though because he has withdrawn from the team, no, more accurately, abandoned the team. Coming out with comments like this at this time not only can sow dissent, it is basically telling his former teammates, "I don't think you have a chance in hell in winning the next two games so I am withdrawing." However, you spin it, withdrawing from the team and making comments like this days before a WCQ are incredibly selfish acts.

From what I understand of it he told Yallop he would only accept an invitation if he was guaranteed playing time. Yallop did not agree to this condition and thus did not call him. I fully agree that Yallop selected his teams in an unprofessional and unfair manner so maybe this is what motivated Brennan's demands. However, in my books if you are a national team player you show up regardless of who the coach is and whether or not you like him. If you do not you are letting your country down.

Sorry. I edited my last reply so now this dialogue looks weird. That's one side of the story. How could Yallop NOT play Brennan is the question I have. I mean he put in Simpson in our first game! Another example of absolute cluelessness and a general inability to deal with professional players (and by professional players, I include JB).

What if we surprise everyone and win the next two matches? What if we get some injuries at left back. Now we can't call Brennan though because he has withdrawn from the team, no, more accurately, abandoned the team. Coming out with comments like this at this time not only can sow dissent, it is basically telling his former teammates, "I don't think you have a chance in hell in winning the next two games so I am withdrawing." However, you spin it, withdrawing from the team and making comments like this days before a WCQ are incredibly selfish acts.

Thats why I said he should have waited until after the next two games. So essentially if we're out- he has the right to bash on Mitchell. If we did won the next two games my guess is he wouldn't come out and say that. I agree with you in saying that Brennan is essentially saying that Canada has no chance of qualifying.

I disagree with blaming the player for his timing. He owes no duty of timing to anyone except himself. On the other hand Mitchell not only suffers from inadequate soccer knowledge, but now it appears he is not able to face his own decisions and he lacks common social graces. The CSA? well, they have always been provincial.

quote:Originally posted by villus

I am glad he is saying something, but I question if this is really the best timing.

Perfect timing to me. The press is covering the world Cup Qs, he's just been dropped, and it shames the clowns running the CSA.

I'm pretty sure his friends and teammates don't wait to judge him on media sound bites and quotes in a story. I'm sure most of them know how he feels about both the CSA and them.

Another piece of the puzzle falls into place. Blame the CSA, blame the coach, blame the playing surface, Canada's "most talented" team has proven to be Canada's most gutless yet again.

High time the heartless wonders took some ownership of themselves as men and learned to stand up. Funny how he says they respect Dasovic and Hart and yet they won't play (figuratively) for them either.

G-R-E-A-S-Y

Shades of Vic Hadfield, the rats abandon the ship. Man, this is really starting to look like September 72, maybe we'll come back and win this thing. Now all we need are 3000 people to go to Honduras. :)

I treat my house league boys with more respect than these clowns in the CSA treat our national team players. The players make huge sacrifices to play here. I support them. PLAYERS - SI. SUITS - NON.

quote:Originally posted by Footy

Brennan is ticked I can understand but how unprofesional can you get just before a WC qualifying game !!!talk about being selfish go home a sulk to your shrink not the national press ... pathetic.

You missed my point above, didn't you?

You say it's unprofessional, but don't say why. As I mentioned, I don't think this comes as any surprise to his friends, teammates, and coaches (who have his respect, at least). I doubt they will go in to their next match in a depressed funk because of Jim's comments.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

You missed my point above, didn't you?

You say it's unprofessional, but don't say why. As I mentioned, I don't think this comes as any surprise to his friends, teammates, and coaches (who have his respect, at least). I doubt they will go in to their next match in a depressed funk because of Jim's comments.

No point missed here .... I think he should have kept his yap shut until after the WCQ match or when we are out offically not before. It just adds to the embarresment and makes me wonder about the class of some these players on this years team.

At first I was a bit peeved regarding the timing of these comments. But then again, he's not saying anything that we haven't been saying ourselves since the Montreal game.

Changes are needed in the CSA, and a more qualified coach needs to be brought in. Those changes are not dependent upon possible future results when previous results already dictate the need for change.

If I were a national team player I would be really pissed at Brennan. They probably all realize that Mitchell is bust. They all know that he is a bad coach and probably don't enjoy playing under him. But they still go through with it because they are Canada through and through. Especially with the recent results they probably aren't enjoying playing for Canada right now. They also know the chances of qualifying are low. Then to have someone completly give up on the national team, when the rest of the guys are going through the exact same thing, must be frustrating. He is giving off the impression that there is no hope and that they should all just give up on the team. I understand where Brennan is coming from, but wait until after qualifying, or attack Mitchell after the losses to Honduras in Montreal and Mexico in Mexico, but don't entirely quit on the team.

"I want to be very careful in what I say. There are a lot of issues. There are a few people who shouldn't be there, there are a few people on the bench who shouldn't be there," Brennan said. "When this World Cup campaign is over, I think a lot of players will come out and say how they feel, but they can't right now because of the situation."

Is he referring to Harmse?

I'm proud of Jim. Someone had to say it. He has nothing to lose. He will not be involved in the next WCQ cycle.

I also know that his words are not only his own. He's not necessarily speaking for a large group of players but his sentiments are shared by many (not all) involved on the squad. Too many others have too much to lose if they spoke their minds. They've had their say behind the scenes when Montagliani canvassed their opinions following Mexico.

I will agree with the comment that I would have prefered that these comments came out immediately after it became clear that the replacement coach that the CSA was courting would not materialize and that we would be stuck with DM for the final 3 games (and I fully expect he will be leading the team to the Gold Cup next year too, like it or not). I don't take issue with the timing because it might disrupt the team....I really dont care about that. As far as I'm concerned, we're playing out the string, no matter what the mathematical odds are. I just think that it would have forced the CSA's hand had he said it earlier. Nonetheless, kudos to Jim. It's time for the soccer professionals to start taking soccer in Canada back from the amateurs.

Pathetic timing on Brennan's part. Total nonsense ahead of such a "dire" situation for our nats. Did it have to be said? YEP. Timing? no good. Do it right after Mexico, or after WCQ during a televised interview. Very right to be pissed to not receive a phone call. Yet another piece of evidence the CSA bungs things up, rather than improving them.

Archived