Tell the truth - do you still care/believe?

Daniel

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I care, and I believe. Sometimes I get down and tell myself that it’s ridiculous to care or believe. At times like these I get a reoccurring image in my head of Rob Friend leaping into the arms of team-mates with a big Canadian smile on his face and us escaping Honduras with a win and a mountain of momentum for the Mexico match. JDG and DeRo be damned.

As others have noted the problem for me with supporting the Nats is that so much is riding on so few matches. Sure its a catastrophe if England doesn't make the WC but does it set them back four years as a developing football country? No. The stakes for our team are sooo much higher.

As a side note on the failed Dale Mitchell experiment, does anyone see the parallels between this team and our U-20's? Both teams were cautiously expected to have some success and have failed spectacularly! DM had some success with previous U-20 teams where the expectations and media glare was not so bright.

This campaign seems to be hurting us all more than most. Be brave boys, brighter days are ahead. I don’t want to go back to club football... I'm a Newcastle supporter.

I don't know why but for some reason, I'm still into grinding out this competition, if for no other reason than to make Honduras sweat it out. Try going in with the following outlook:

"The second phase of World Cup qualifying will involve playing a short three game series against three solid but beatable teams. Two of the games will be on the road, with the most difficult team being our home game. If you can manage to win all three games (a must), you get admission to the hex, which will likely offer an easier route to the big show."

...If we blow that series, then you can always go back to the bottle and some Patsy Cline songs. ;)

This is the most excellent thread I've seen in a long time. I think we're all in the same boat. We so badly wanted to belong to a group of supporters who were there when our country qualified for the WC and we all thought that this would be our best chance to do it in a long time, especially after the beautiful play at the Gold Cup. And after 270 minutes of tepid football, our dreams and expectations have taken a sucker punch in the collective groin. Deep down we all care and I think we all want to believe but personally, it's been hard to get worked up. If nothing else, the V's are a lot more vocal and numerous; I'm just glad to have met people who are as sadistic as I am for Canadian soccer.

With me, its not so much the mathematical aspsct or situation that has me concerned. yes, its true, if we win the next three canada is very likely through to the next round. Is it doable? yes it is, good sides can do it.

But can this team ( based on what we have seen so far) a good side and can they do it? I dont think so based on the play that we have seen in the first two game. You can throw out the game versus Mexico. Against sides like Honduras and Jamaica, we have failed to be in control of the game for 90 minutes while playing at home. Thats what you need to do at home in WCQ against like this. Instead, what we have seen from this side, is pretty much the same as what we have been seeing going back to 2000 WCQ. Something will have to change drastically in play to succeed and from the list of callups, there is nothing to suggest any wild card in there or any change in direction.

You might be interested to know that from the Honduran camp ( knowledgeable fans that I have talked to), they feel that they are more depleted than us and are pretty much conceding the game.

I'll go on a limb here, but I'll predict that IF we do pull off the miracle, it will not Mexico going through with us but rather Honduras. remember, mexico's final three games are away from home.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

At least you don't wait 4 years and then play 3 weeks with baseball.

yup, thats the killer and you have hit on the nose of what is the problem with supporting international soccer in concacaf. Whereas in the rest of the world, you have a WCQ capaign that stretches at least 6 months, here, it could be as short as 2 weeks to 10 weeks. and for the next 3 years, there is nothing anywhere near for prestige.

Well I'm going to Edmonton to support the team but we were done a month ago. Period. In an alternate universe, it might be possible to have a glimmer of hope, but not with the moves Mitchell has made in the first 3 games and counting.

I still care, believe, and will show up.

In sports, you PLAY until the final whistle. I don't know what

it is, but the team is lacking in something intangible. Not enough

heart, maybe? Intensity, from the coaching staff to the players?

We have the skills, but what makes us not finish? I dunno.

I'm not sure, but SINCE I CARRY A CANADIAN PASSPORT, I'm sure

not going to cheer for any other team, or accept the ridicule of

many pseudo-Canadians. Cheer for Canada in hockey, but not football?

I care because our players battle. I have to believe, because

there's no other acceptable option. But like many, I'm just tired

of the excuses, whatifs, the CONCACRAP refs, and the b.s.

I have supported the CMNT since the World Cup in 1986. Let me tell those of you that weren't around that it was a fantastic experience to have our boys in the big show. I will always believe but I do admit that my interest wanes from time to time. I was at both Montreal WCQ matches this year and loved every second of it(My first WCQ games). I too was gutted by the loss to Honduras but I am Canadian and will always support my team.

We will qualify for the World Cup again. Maybe not this time, but when we do, it will be greater than you can imagine.

Canada forever.

My brain has been telling my heart to save itself the pain of breaking, and to just not bother believing in this campaign anymore.

Come Saturday, my heart will have fully overwhelmed my brain and I will be in full matchday mode, living and dying by every kick on the Honduran field.

I can't say who will be in charge come Sunday, my heart or my brain, but chances are, it will have a lot to do with Saturday's result.

But no matter who's in charge, I'll still care. What other choice do I have?

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I hope we see them in a Canada uniform one day. Playing in the World Cup.

I can always dream :D. But seriously watching Canada in the World Cup would be the next best thing.

I was gutted after all three results, and the problem is in between games I always find enough time to play up our chances. Then each time I come crashing back to earth. I really wish I would just admit its over and look forward. That is how I've felt immediately following the Honduras, and Mexico games. But when the next game rolls around whether its a few days or a few weeks later - I always feel like we have the chance to pull something out. Which really makes losing a lot more hard. But with this being the first time I've really gone through this I realize how tough it must be for most of you guys who have been through this many times. So do I still care - of course I'll be watching the entire Honduras game nervous as hell. Do I believe... well I really don't think we have much chance, but I still see the little bit of a chance that we do have- which will probably make losing all the more difficult.

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

All I care about is beating Mexico in Edmonton - in the cold. That is very possible and I truly believe it will happen. Do I think we qualify - no. I just needing some salvation from that Mexico game.

I care in beating Honduras too, I was in Montreal in that game against Honduras and when Honduras did score, there was a drunk guy who were crying to my friend (he was closer to him than me) "f*** you)". If it were me, I'd beaten him(I just don't know how I did control myself). I know the majority of Hondurans aren't like him, but I just wish Honduras not to qualify to the WC.

Archived