Tell the truth - do you still care/believe?

Daniel

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still hopeful.

Like others the thing I enjoy the most, regardless of the results, is getting together with the other Vs and supporting at the match. I really enjoy going to live games, but unlike those living in the big 3 cities I only get a few games every 3-4 years without a local club team. I try to enjoy those games despite the issues.

Now as far as belief: In the 02-03 Champ League Newcastle United had lost their first 3 games (2 away and one at home) without scoring a goal. Infront of them was two home games against Juve, and Dynamo Kiev and the final game away to Feyenoord. The Mags won the last 3 games and qualified for the next round.

It's not exactly the same, we've got two away games, but there it is. 3 wins and this will be one of the greatest comebacks in qualification.

Care...but belief has withered as of late. It stinks of 2000 and 2004. We need a real coach. I hate the Mitchell bashing as although many of the younger fans can not fully fathom, he was a god of his generation. He always scored in the big games. He doesn't deserve the abuse, although I understand the frustration. We need a foreigner with experience.

I hope next time we start on the road. A big hole is always tough to get out of.

i care and i believe. i will believe until the last game that we play and i will believe another four years form now. it's not done. we have a good team, and we can play well we have shown that in the past - in particular the gold cup in 2007.

the fact is, we will be missing some good players (for many different reasons) our coach is not good for us and we have two games abroad and one at home to teh best team in concacaf.

on the flip side, our backs are up against the wall and we play honduras - could be good for us and may lend us the three points we so desperately need. then we play mexico - at home and by this point, they will have a post wrapped up so it may be a good time for ericsson to rest some players and let us take a point or more. then jamaica on teh road as well... but new coach, new system it still could be 3 points for us.

i would have thought things would've gone so much differently for us i teh beginning but it was not the case. and for that reason , maybe things will end up different than what i'm expecting for our last three matches...

come on guys, come on canada let's take it to thee guys and represent in 2010. everyone needs to band together to make this happen - including the supporters. tell all your friends to watch the game - if you can make it there or not watch it on tv. get your family together - the positive vibes will help then on their way.

let's get this done and show the world that we can compete on a world class level.

I have seen the glory of the world cup and watching them play in it.

Our game in Canada was going to surpass all other.

It was on the the doorstep, the door just had to be opened it was unlocked.

Then it all came crumbling down agonizingly piece by piece slowly very slowly. Canadian owners, administrators, marketers, agents, who put us on the doorstep were systematically removed abused or ignored. Replaced one by one year by year with autonomous greedy shallow limited intellects with horrible business acumen.

Our numbers grew to surpass hockey and yet our game was dying.

I was gut wrenched as I watched the promising leagues, players, owners and fans become watered down versions of their original promise.

The CSA board began gathering and coercing followers and volunteers who could not recognize the indiscretions and including cronies of similar mind to join them. Piece by piece they ensured their autoimmunity by changing rules and committees and organization and processes.

I knew it was dead then. I cared enough to continue fighting and supporting our game for years after. However watching embarrassment after embarrassment dismantle all promise from year to year even my passion was gone.

Some of you never witnessed the glory and you didnt witness the dismantling and a lot of this is new for you. So you dont comprehend the whole picture but what you have seen even in the last five years has been enough for you to comprehend a lot of what I am reporting.

Their are people here and still in Canadian soccer that have been around a lot longer than I have fifty,sixty, and seventy . I know of two even older gentleman still working in soccer in Canada.. Most of these people dont read or post in these forums but they are doing private soccer ventures and we meet and see each other all over Canada and just have fun discussing the game, we rarely mention the CSA, all of us know the story verbatim some of these people even lived it.

Thats the joy, the care, the passion left for me. There is so much beautiful Canadian soccer happening completely outside of the CSA auspices and around the world. Even when my own country Canada is not named I still enjoy it immensely.When I get to witness glimpses of success by our teams and players it still makes me feel great.

Most of all I am sad for myself and all of you on this board who obviously love our game and only get to see glimpses of success.You people who care and commit to our sport who so sadly just end up being splintered and divided into discussing the embarrassments and watching the debacles unfold of others. I care about that. I dream about one day that we all see more than just glimpses.

Problem is the players don't believe and the players don't care.

They have showed no heart, passion or determination in the 3 games. The WCQ are not league games or whatever where the best team wins, its who wants it and who tries there hearts out that wins games. Canada resents the CSA, they hate the coach and lack the heart needed to make the World Cup. Once the CSA is done and Canada can get a coach they respect, then they may play better. Right now its just a lack of heart.

Do I care? I think the answer to that is "ALWAYS". Do I still hold out hope? Against my better judgement I do. The only solace I take is that a week from now, I'll at least be put out of my misery one way or another. I have been to 5 senior MNT games including travel to Seattle and most recently Montreal. In those 5 games (3 of which were WC qualifiers at home vs Guatemala, Honduras, and Costa Rica) we have been outscored 11-3. Should I keep hoping? I wish I could be like those people you see during the world cup with England and Brazil shirts on. But I can't. I can't pretend to cheer for some team because deep down, I don't care about those teams. Canada is the only (national) team I could ever care about. So where does that leave me? With you guys I guess...

That brings me to my point. One that others have made earlier in this thread. I take the only comfort I can from this board. I remember discovering the Voyageurs for the first time. Ecstatic that there were actually others that cared about Canada. I was shocked to see people discussing games, and knowing every player by name. The results have been ridiculously disappointing. The experience of meeting (and typing) with many of you has been the opposite. And so I continue to hope. My life as a Canadian fan continues as it is, was, and ever shall be...

I still care about them. I still have faith in them but it is hard to believe when your teams needs let's face it a miracle. They are 5-to-one underdogs but I still believe they can pull it off. Yogi Berra once stated: It ain't over 'til it's over. It could be over on saturday but the dream is alive.

I think everyone cares. I hope we still make it. But problem is that no one who really matter cares. Politicians who could change the setup, the CSA, influential media figures who could stir things towards change.... that leaves just us... give it another 4 years and we will be saying the same thing

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Que sera, sera.

Whatever will be, will be.

The World Cups not ours to see.

Que sera, sera.

holy depressing, it'd be okay to hear once the math is done but for now I prefer the hopeful songs (like this cheesy reggae track that randomly works (my pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty little African prize(jules rimet trophy, South African edition)) and dyer maker, cause ...they don't have go oh oh oh oh oh :D:(

Even if there are those who say they don't believe well honestly I don't believe you. As long as Canada is mathematically alive all of us have the extremely little glitter of hope. Stranger things have happend in concacaf, so until the final whistle blows on Canada's chances I'll remain loyal to the red and white.

Now while I do believe, I remain logical in saying that this task will be no easy one. Alot of things have to go Canada's way, some have already with Honduras missing few key players (including Suazo). Even minus JDG this roster remains capable of achieving the unpredictable.

While the task ahead of Canada is no easy one, I'll remain faithful to the country that I live in and love.

Allez les rouges!

Care? Definitely, I always will (however unfortunate for me, lol).

Believe... yes. Soccer is a funny game, the entire round consists of only 6, 90 minutes games (obviously). It's really one game at a time and we have to win this game. It's Honduras, this is possible. I think we've got a good chance of winning (1-0, 2-1?) or losing 4-0, it all depends on how this team responds to the adversity.

Archived