Tell the truth - do you still care/believe?

Daniel

I'll be the party pooper. I think I've stopped caring/believing. That loss in Montreal really hurt and I just haven't been able to muster up even the least bit of enthusiasm or hope for any Canadian national team.

I've said before that I stopped expecting anything from our men's teams (senior and youth alike) after years and years of miserable result (bar the odd friendly or GC), but I don't know if this time it's for real.

To those who haven't lost hope that we'll make it to SA, who keep believing that the impossible will happen, keep on it. It's good to know you're still out there.

Even if we somehow make it to the Hex, I don't know if I can come back with the same enthusiasm. I guess we'll see. See you guys next time! [B)]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm finally over the initial pain of the letdown. With Mitchell at the helm I can't believe to be honest. He doesn't know how to win as a coach at this sport, and he's let us down as a man by not resigning. Hurts more because I grew up on the 86ers and loved DM in his playing days. Now I'm just numb to it and hiding in club football.

I can never give up till the math is done or the clock winds down, it's just the way I am, I remember playing hockey as a kid with like 32 seconds left and thinking "I CAN DO THIS" unfortunately, and quite pathetically, I need to score 3 to bring us level and it'd be a miracle if I could post up 2 at that point. Even in soccer in injury time I'm thinking if I can score right now, and dispossess them lickety split the ref'll let me have at er (and realistically it's like a 0.5-1% chance of me scoring 1 goal in a few minutes injury time let alone the last 20 seconds). I could never quell that rambunctious hopeful feeling inside the pit of my tummy.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'll be the party pooper. I think I've stopped caring/believing. That loss in Montreal really hurt and I just haven't been able to muster up even the least bit of enthusiasm or hope for any Canadian national team.

I've said before that I stopped expecting anything from our men's teams (senior and youth alike) after years and years of miserable result (bar the odd friendly or GC), but I don't know if this time it's for real.

To those who haven't lost hope that we'll make it to SA, who keep believing that the impossible will happen, keep on it. It's good to know you're still out there.

Even if we somehow make it to the Hex, I don't know if I can come back with the same enthusiasm. I guess we'll see. See you guys next time! [B)]

Daniel I thought I had convinced you by telling you my inspirational Chemie Leipzig story of last year! In the new reorganization of the German soccer pyramid they were middle of the pack of their Oberliga with 8 games to go and I had resigned myself to the indignity of supporting a 5th division team (Oberliga was moving to 5th division). Then they won 7 of their 8 last games to finish 4th and qualify for a relegation series against a team from another Oberliga which they also won to finally qualify for the new much smaller and tougher 4th division. Had they even tied one of those 7 games they were out. I should also mention that Chemie also were almost bankrupt about 4 or 5 times last year and were several months behind paying player salaries but have also managed to stabilize a bit over the summer. Had we gone bankrupt we most likely would have been relegated to 12th division. If that can happen so can Canada winning three games unexpectedly. I wouldn't necessarily bet money on it but I won't give up hope until we are officially out. I certainly still care.

BTW I'll try and arrange someplace for Montreal fans to get together to watch the game.

I've been through many disappointing qualifying campaigns but I've always kept believing until we've been mathematically eliminated.

I have to admit that I have lost a lot of enthusiasm lately.I've invested a lot emotionally not to mention financially so that I could help the team in some small way. Sometimes I ask myself if it's all been worth it. I've been lucky though that I have had the support of my loved ones to allow me to put forth the time and the effort to get to the games and to get involved and be informed through many hours of reading and posting on this forum.

I've seriously contemplated taking a break from it all and to dedicate more of my time to the people who have always been there for me.

Not to be a complete downer but when I was younger I was so full of hope for the national team. We made it to the WC in 86 and I kept looking to the future where we could improve on what that team did. Instead it's been one disappointment after another. Failure at many levels but some successes along the way too.

In the late nineties I discovered the internet. I searched for Canadian soccer and I discovered the Voyageurs. This was what I wanted to be part of. I've been so proud to be part of this great group and to see it grow to what it is today. I've met some great people from all over Canada and the enthusiasm has never been better.

We have many new Voyageurs on board now. Many of them just young kids. I thought it was cool when I met leafdolfan(Sam)and his little brother in Montreal. These kids have great enthusiasm for the Voyageur cause. I hope we see them in a Canada uniform one day. Playing in the World Cup.

I don't ever want to stop believing but 22 years and 6 qualifying campaigns later and I'm beginning to tire. I'll still be watching and cheering intently but I'm in need of a spark. The flame that burns within needs to be stoked and a victory on Saturday will help.

To all the new young Canada supporters out there. Be patient.You'll more than likely see Canada at a World Cup at least once and probably sooner than you think. When they do I hope I'll still be young enough to be standing and singing with all of you.

Honestly supporting the National Team has turned into more than just cheering on the players for me. How many times after a disappointing Canadian result will the people who attended the games say something like "the result was poor but the experience was amazing"? The Voyageurs are a pretty impressive and dynamic community which I am proud to be a part of.

Seeing all sorts of people from all over this (huge) country come together and proudly wear the red and white goes beyond results. Seeing people cooperate and collaborate who have never met each other is quite a unique experience.

Do I believe Canada can make it to the next round? Well, it doesn't look good. do I care? I sure do. And I really hope they can pull it off so I can share the joy with all of you!

Uhhh I cheer for the Cubs. At least I knew they weren't going to do anything this year. I honestly believed Canada had a shot - though I also knew it was going to be damn hard.

I care. I'll always care. But TBH this game is sneaking up on me. I'm looking forward to it as I always look forward to any chance to travel and see Canada.

Do I believe? No. My brother tried to give me a pep talk tonight and it helped a little. I think I'm happier not believing. It's way better being pleasantly surprised.

cheers,

matthew

I think the lyrics to this song should help. It's sung on the terraces in stadiums around the world in many different languages.

When you walk through a storm

hold your head up high

and don't be afraid of the dark

at the end of the storm is a golden sky

and the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on through the wind

Walk on through the rain

tho your dreams may be tossed and blown

Walk on, Walk on with hope in your heart

and you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=BCn-8MB-v5U

Also... the classic "Que Sera, Sera" is another one that works well to uplift the spirits when all seems lost. The key lyric is "the future is ours to see". (English fans substitute this with "We're going to Wemberley!")

I hope occassionally but I don't believe. And the resutls have seriously dampened my interest in Canadian soccer. I have found this campaign particularly frustrating as I beleive we have the talent to get into the WCQ but have made an abysmal choice as coach. And then with 1 point from the initial 3 matches, we have compounded that by not firing him. That strikes me (along with everything else) as continued CSA incompetence. Therefore, i seriously do not plan to waste much more of my time on "the dream" until the day CSA starts becoming a professional organisation which maybe years down the road. Its only then that we have a serious chance of qualifying.

I still care, and deep down I want to believe that it is still possible. My heart disagrees with my head.

I have seen the best team this country has produced do the exact same thing as our u-20's befor the U20WC. They look like gold and gleam in the build up but when the main event rolls round they look like they are afraid to touch the ball. Befor every game I still want to believe we will see them perform like they did in the GC or against Brazil.

Ill still be in the trenches in edmonton and loving and hating it like I was for the u20's.

Daniel,

Like you, I was absolutely gutted following the Montreal game. One of the true low points of my career supporting Canada, which has seen more than its share of adversity anyways.

There was something about the contrast of fan support from our massive success over Jamaica in Toronto, to what was an absolute disgrace in Montreal. The way we just gave away that lead. The knowledge that we had a massive mountain to climb to have any chance of going through.

My last day in Canada saw us lose to Mexico, and the manner in which we played that game seemed to undo all the progress I thought we had made. Outclassed through and through.

So I find it hard to believe in our chances for 2010. But I will be hoping and praying for a miracle in Honduras to put us right back in the mix.

Maybe having JDG out will give this team a reason to find its balls, and we will play our best game in the most adverse conditions.

Regardless, supporting Canada was never about success for me. It was about standing up for your country when no one else wanted to make a stand. Canada NEEDS this team, it is the only sport that can bring our multiculturalism together and a forge a real sense of national identity.

Canada 'til I die. I'll still be at every single game my bank account will allow. This is just another detour on the long path to glory. It's a marathon boys, we've still got miles to go.

MB

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Soju

I think I'm finally over the initial pain of the letdown. With Mitchell at the helm I can't believe to be honest. He doesn't know how to win as a coach at this sport, and he's let us down as a man by not resigning. Hurts more because I grew up on the 86ers and loved DM in his playing days. Now I'm just numb to it and hiding in club football.

+1

Still care, still believe. Quite sincere on both measures. I went through puberty</u> following Celtic at a time when Rangers were winning EVERYTHING. Year after year after year. Every-fu'king-thing. Compared to the scars of that experience this is a milk run.

I'll stop believing if we don't win on Saturday. I just can't believe a draw will still be good enough.

I actually care more than ever not because of what has gone on down at pitch level but what has gone on up in the stands and around kitchen tables by groups of footie fans (not always Voyageurs either) not to mention the individual Herculean efforts some have put forward this round of WCQ. Broadly speaking we're recognizing a need to be more activist and if we can at least take that forward with us we're already improving out chances for the next round of WCQ, whether we go to Africa or no.

Well Daniel sounds truly broken! What a great thread, it has confirmed what I believe, what we have on this board is special! Of course people care, or they wouldn't be here, it is hard to believe that we aren't doomed in this campaign, but who knows if we get a win Saturday! Bertuzzi and Vancouver Fan make very god points about the social aspect of supporting this team! I was so dissappointed at the result of the Jamaica game, yet it was one of the best times I've ever had meeting so many V's from this board, at the end of the day that is what's important to me! We suffer together and complain together, we are a truly unique bunch! as Martyr says "You'll Never Walk Alone" Don't give up Daniel!

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Honestly supporting the National Team has turned into more than just cheering on the players for me. How many times after a disappointing Canadian result will the people who attended the games say something like "the result was poor but the experience was amazing"? The Voyageurs are a pretty impressive and dynamic community which I am proud to be a part of.

Seeing all sorts of people from all over this (huge) country come together and proudly wear the red and white goes beyond results. Seeing people cooperate and collaborate who have never met each other is quite a unique experience.

+1.

This is it for me. Meeting new people to go hang out and watch the game with is something I always look forward to.

Do I care? Damn straight I do. Do I believe we'll pull it out? Honestly, probably not. Will I stop supporting the team? Never. This just means another 4 years of trying to explain to the plebeians that we aren't as bad as our record says we are.

Archived