2nd leg: Montreal vs Real Esteli [R]

Here is the schedule

Group C

Atlante FC (MEX)

CD Olímpia (HON)

Joe Public FC (TRI)

Montreal Impact (CAN)

Home Team Listed First (All times Eastern)

17 Sept Montreal – Joe Public FC (TBD)

18 Sept Atlante – CD Olímpia (10p)

24 Sept Joe Public FC – CD Olímpia (8p)

24 Sept Montreal – Atlante (TBD)

30 Sept Atlante – Joe Public FC (8p)

02 Oct CD Olímpia – Montreal (10p)

08 Oct Joe Public FC – Montreal (8p)

08 Oct CD Olímpia – Atlante (10p)

21 Oct Montreal – CD Olímpia (TBD)

21 Oct Joe Public FC – Atlante (8p)

28 Oct CD Olímpia – Joe Public FC (8p)

28 Oct Atlante – Montreal (10p)

^ Impact defense was very organized and strong, but that said Esteli almost cracked them numerous times. Both goalkeepers put in a good 90. And who the Hell was that guy on Estelli who kept running the field and beating 3 or 4 people each time with his speed? Man he was fast.

Jack Warner owns Joe Public.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The surprise has to be that the tie was so close given how poor the opposition was. I think that deVos said it best, they gave these guys too much respect.

Absolutely. But give these guys a break. This is like what? Their 8th match in 4 weeks and no relief in sight? They have SIX more fixtures coming up in the next 3 weeks. SIX!.

Top flight clubs in Europe with squads twice the size of the Impact cry and shake during nightmare schedules like that and they don't put up with a quarter of the travel the Impact have had to. I'm sure fatigue was a factor.

That and the crazy 2nd half ref'ing. Whoah.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Grande is pure class, very smart player. Best player on the pitch.

I agree, Grande was everywhere -- free kicks, covering for the defense,

winning balls in midfield. I thought they gave Esteli too much

respect, and instead of burying them they almost opened up to a

fluke shot that hit the crossbar.

The refereeing was dubious in the 2nd half. What was the deal with

giving a free kick INSIDE the box, six feet from goal?? A make-up

for the missed penalty call?

Grande was quite good in the 2nd half, not so much in the 1st. I thought Montreal took a bit of a gamble as they were holding back somewhat. Still, good enough performance, good use of subs and they got the result they needed.

An enjoyable game to watch. Montreal progressing to the group stage will help Canada's cause for a second team to be awarded to the Champions League.

It would surely be awesome to have a second team in the competition, however I owuld have a tough time giving an extra spot in the Champions League to a nation that does not have a domestic league.

Grande is pure class, very smart player. Best player on the pitch.

I haven't found too much to complain about Dale Mitchell's callups. But if pressed to come up with one, I would say that its Grande's exclusion. IMO he was the revelation of our last WCQ campaign.

Its one of the mysteries of soccer to me that he cannot garner greater interest in Europe. We have seen a few Canadians playing in Europe at some of the highest levels who cant make the plays that we have seen from Grande.

1) Very good ball distributor

2) Good ball striker

3) Can tackle well and possessing a mean and dirty streak. player that opponents and opposing fans will easily hate.

Would have been a very good replacement for Edu. Would take him over Harmse in heartbeat. Honnestly now, what can harmse bring that Grande cannot?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I haven't found too much to complain about Dale Mitchell's callups. But if pressed to come up with one, I would say that its Grande's exclusion. IMO he was the revelation of our last WCQ campaign.

Its one of the mysteries of soccer to me that he cannot garner greater interest in Europe. We have seen a few Canadians playing in Europe at some of the highest levels who cant make the plays that we have seen from Grande.

1) Very good ball distributor

2) Good ball striker

3) Can tackle well and possessing a mean and dirty streak. player that opponents and opposing fans will easily hate.

Would have been a very good replacement for Edu. Would take him over Harmse in heartbeat. Honnestly now, what can harmse bring that Grande cannot?

Before his return to the Impact, Grande had not played a pro game in 18 months!

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Is it normal that I have to pay for CBC Bold?

Yeah, I have to pay extra to Shaw for CBC Bold in Vancouver too even though I already pay for an extensive digital bundle. Ticks me off that I have to pay three times for a CBC channel, first as a taxpayer, second as a basic Shaw subscriber then third as an extra pay channel. Plus CBC Bold primarily exists to re-run old CBC programs!

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

So how does Montreal stack up againsnt the rest in their group?? I dont no to much about any of the teams but Atlante FC(and still not much about them). I would imagine a 2nd place finish for the Impact.

I'm not so sure about that. We are talking about top teams in each of their respective leagues. I could see Montreal finish anywhere from 2nd to 4th and I don't think it would be too much of a surprise. I think the big difference between these teams will be home field. Montreal won't have the advantage that a lot of the other teams have. The soccer moms won't really be a positive factor.

I think this is one of the things that makes the innaugural Champions League so interesting. We don't know how these leagues match up and it will be a lot of fun to watch and find out.

I would be surprised if Montreal did NOT finish as the last team in the group. I would have picked Joe Public for that spot prior to them destroying NE. But, that's why they play the games.

I thought Brillant was much better this game than in the first leg. He's sure got some speed. Can anyone tell me what's up with Braz, Gervais, Placentino & Matondo? Didn't see any of them in either leg. Are they injured, out of favour, benched in favour mediocre foreigners, all of the above?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I thought Brillant was much better this game than in the first leg. He's sure got some speed. Can anyone tell me what's up with Braz, Gervais, Placentino & Matondo? Didn't see any of them in either leg. Are they injured, out of favour, benched in favour mediocre foreigners, all of the above?

I'm pretty sure that Gervais is injured

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

All injured except Matondo, left behind.

Archived