Mexico 14

Honduras 37

Canada 60

Jamaica 98

Costa Rica 75

Haiti 113

El Salvador 120

Suriname 145

Apart from Mexico, US we could see CR, Haiti and Guatemala. I like our chances.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Costa Rica doesn't seem very impressive. I can see some trouble during their away games ala Grenada. As long as we make hex, I see us as a direct qualifier. I pity the fourth place team...right now they'd play Brazil and although I don't think it will be them, it will be a tough team.

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

2-0 T&T. :(

Reports on bigsoccer (where there was a thread asking people to predict what Jack Warner would do to ensure T&T made it through) indicate that the second & series-winning T&T goal was scored during a Bermudan substitution - T&T scoring on a prematurely-taken corner kick before the Bermudan player coming on got into position.

Corruption lives in Concacaf.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Reports on bigsoccer (where there was a thread asking people to predict what Jack Warner would do to ensure T&T made it through) indicate that the second & series-winning T&T goal was scored during a Bermudan substitution - T&T scoring on a prematurely-taken corner kick before the Bermudan player coming on got into position.

Corruption lives in Concacaf.

That's correct IMO. If the player wasn't on the field that would've been a questionnable goal but if the problem is the player isn't in position (which would be somewhere in the box to defend the corner) I don't think the ref has an obligation to wait for it.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Usually the player can not take the corner on a substitution until the Ref allows him to. So it sounds very dubious to me.

Well, the post on BS isn't really clear about that. The poster is saying the CK was taken without the player being in position. Maybe the ref did gave authorization to take the CK with the subbed in player not being "in position", which is legal.

Let,s hope for a vid of that play...

• 11 months later...

Funny looking back on this thread now that we are almost midway through the final stage and, despite most of our predictions and analysis from a year ago, there is little El Salvador beating Mexico, and Costa Rica looking more and more like a permanent fixture in the World Cup. Lots could change, of course, and only the most naive will count out Mexico at the point.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

^ Mexico and Honduras have only played 1 home game each while El Salvador have already played 3 home games. Things will eventually sort themselves out...

This is true. Of course, there's no denying how poorly Mexico have played on the road during this WCQ cycle. Outside of an away win against Belize - which was played in Houston - Mexico has only earned one point in its last six away qualifiers. It's a good thing Mexico has such a fantastic home field advantage, because the team is playing lousy everywhere else.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

This is true. Of course, there's no denying how poorly Mexico have played on the road during this WCQ cycle. Outside of an away win against Belize - which was played in Houston - Mexico has only earned one point in its last six away qualifiers. It's a good thing Mexico has such a fantastic home field advantage, because the team is playing lousy everywhere else.

Mex and Hon each have four of their remaining six games to be played at home. So yeah, I would say that they are not necessarily in panic mode. But what is interesting about Mexico is that, by my count, first or second spot is now practically out of reach to them. And that's the big story as far Mexico. Who would have ever imagined the possibility that they might have to go down to south America to qualify.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Who would have ever imagined the possibility that they might have to go down to south America to qualify?

That brought a smile to my face. Imagine that Mexico may have to face

Uruguay, Venezuela, Ecuador, or Argentina for that last spot.

Right now for me, it's the following out of CONCACAF:

Costa Rica

USA

Honduras

Mexico

After watching Mexico toy with T&T tonight one thing is certain - T&T is terrible. How is it that they advanced again? [}:)]

Mexico looks better with Blanco back in the fold. If play like they did tonight, they should able to squeak past Honduras for third if they can beat Honduras at home.

Honduras vs Ecuador for the last place would be a brilliant and fairly evenly matched series, IMHO. They both would have pretty crazy home-advantage. Ecuador has been to two successive WCs but everything goes out the window in a two game series, ask Uruguay. I just pray that Ecuador can get at least that fifth spot.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Winning the playoff with CONMEBOL will do a lot for the rep of CONCACAF or CONCACACRAP as most south americans like to call it.

I agree with you and that's why I'd like Mexico finished 4th because I think that they would be a strong opponent for the one that will finished 5th in the Conmebol WCQ group. I don't think that Honduras or Salvador would stand any chance against a south american opponent in a do or die situation.

quote:Originally posted by Soro17

After watching Mexico toy with T&T tonight one thing is certain - T&T is terrible. How is it that they advanced again? [}:)]

Well, we didn't look like world beater when we played in Mexico last fall....

^ True enough, although I don't think we were toyed with - at least we touched the ball. Possession must have been 90/10 last night and Mexico probably should have had 6 or 7. Generally speaking, Mexico are clearly playing better football than they were last fall. Fear is always a prime motivator I suppose.

Archived