CONCACAF WC Qualifying - Round 1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

7-0 Jamaica. :( to be fair, Barbados were completely gone by the 4th or 5th.

That would be the Bahamas, not Barbados (who actually lost by a greater score against the US, 8-0).

Before anyone starts quaking in their boots about the 7-0 scoreline, having watched as much of the game as I could stomach, I would be disappointed with Canada if we could not beat that particular Bahaman team by at least the same amount, if not more. The Bahamas beat out the British Virgin Islands (who Canada once beat in Olympic qualifying 24-0 on aggregate) on "away-goals" (even both legs were played in the Bahamas, ridiculoulsy).

Strangely the stadium the Bahamas used to play both legs against BVI has now been deemed un-fit for World Cup Qualifiers, so Jamaica gets to play both legs at home.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

2-1 final, Bermuda over T&T in T&T.

Could you imagine what the semi-final groups are going to look like in comparison to ours if Grenada & Bermuda can pull off the upsets, as looks realistically possible?

JESUS CHRIST!

Arthur, King of the Britons

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

They (Grenada) also played a man down for 40 minutes. I think they could still provide a shock in Costa Rica.

The last time ( four years ago) it was Cuba who gave Cost Rica a similar scare. Therefore, I would be careful to read too much into these results. Just like Belize holding Mexico to a 0-0 until half time. I think that these sides are well aware of the fact that the real competition starts in August.

T&T I am not sure though. They looked pretty bad in the game we saw last week on TV versus England. And, they didn't look like they belong in Germany four years ago. But then again, never underestimate the invisible hand Jack Warner

Interesting the Dutch Antilles drawing with Haiti. I think everyone assumed Haiti would advance relatively easily but..... after checking on paper I have to say that the Dutch Antilles are loaded by CONCACAF standards. Pretty much their whole line-up plays in the Dutch Eredivise or Eerste Divise along with a few other guys playing for the likes of West Brom and Red Bull Salzburg. They could be a real surprise team and get to the Hex, especially if Grenada knocks off Costa Rica.

2-1 final, Bermuda over T&T in T&T.

Could you imagine what the semi-final groups are going to look like in comparison to ours if Grenada & Bermuda can pull off the upsets, as looks realistically possible?

I took a quick look at the game summary for that game. What stood out for me was CRC's lineup. At a quick glance, I didn't recognize anybody. I beginning to believe that some of these sides ( ie.: mex , CRC) are purposely holding back.

Bermuda is not a bad side. Having a usl-2 team as their defacto national team has really raised their level of play. They are a country of just under 70,000 people yet they can field a fully professional national team due to the Bermuda Hogges and a few MLS and English lower division pros. I wouldn't be surprised to see them at least hold T&T to a draw for their home leg.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I took a quick look at the game summary for that game. What stood out for me was CRC's lineup. At a quick glance, I didn't recognize anybody. I beginning to believe that some of these sides ( ie.: mex , CRC) are purposely holding back.

Mexico pretty well fielded their top team though.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Costa Rica played most of what appears to be the best players they have. They have depth, just not anyone that really sticks out anymore. They're a team in transition and i don't think Medford has quite figured out who's his go-to guys.

Gonzalez displaced Porras as the top keeper at Saprissa (i think through injury, but he ran with it). Cordero and Badilla are mainstays, and the rest of the D are in transition. Azofeifa is the holding mid and Ruiz is one of the usual attacking mids. Mambo Nunez seems to be the one guy who can actually score for them on a regular basis and Alonso is one of the top CR league forwards. They could have called up Saborio up top, but not sure he's better than either of the 2 guys they dressed. Also, C. Hernandez, Centeno or O. Rojas could join Ruiz in midfield...Guys like Wallace and Drummond on the flanks are getting older. Same with forwards Ronald Gomez, A. Fonseca etc.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

Imagine Mexico, after having just hired Sven, went out before the first group stages of WCQ.

Oh, how glorious that would be.

Interesting. I thought that I saw SGE's name in one of the game summaries from FIFA for yesterday's game.

Edit: Here it is.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/round=250464/match=10000030/index.html

So halfway through there is a distinct possibility the semi-final groups could look like this:

A. Mexico, Canada, Jamaica, Honduras

B. US, Guatemala, Bermuda, Cuba

C. Grenada, Netherlands Antilles, El Salvador, Surinam

For this to happen Grenada has to beat Costa Rica in Costa Rica (or tie 2-2 & win on penalties or draw 3-3), El Salvador has to beat Panama at home (Panama won 1-0 in Panama), Bermuda need only draw with T&T or lose 1-0, and Netherlands Antilles needs to beat Haiti (either in the game or on PK's if another 0-0 draw happens).

Anyone still want to argue that the Hex is a good system?

So halfway through there is a distinct possibility the semi-final groups could look like this:

A. Mexico, Canada, Jamaica, Honduras

B. US, Guatemala, Bermuda, Cuba

C. Grenada, Netherlands Antilles, El Salvador, Surinam

For this to happen Grenada has to beat Costa Rica in Costa Rica (or tie 2-2 & win on penalties or draw 3-3), El Salvador has to beat Panama at home (Panama won 1-0 in Panama), Bermuda need only draw with T&T or lose 1-0, and Netherlands Antilles needs to beat Haiti (either in the game or on PK's if another 0-0 draw happens).

Anyone still want to argue that the Hex is a good system?

Right on the money with that one. Although Trinidad being eliminated almost guarantees that qualifying won't be the same next time. Jack will make sure of it.

The Hex isn't the problem - if anything it's fair. The problem is the semi-final draw.

When drawing its WC groups, UEFA decided to scrap previous qualifications and just go with FIFA rankings. They took the most recent ones, from November 2007, after Euro qualifying was over.

When drawing its WC groups, CONCACAF decided to include previous qualifications in a half-assed way and fill in the rest with FIFA rankings. They took the ones from early 2007, before their own Gold Cup continental championship. [:o)][:o)][:o)]

CONCACAF Qualifying is silly and designed to reward success 4 years or more earlier. Our first round opponent made the semi's for two cycles in a row based on making it on merit 12 years ago...forturitous draws gave them an easy path. What CONCACAF needs to do is figure out a way to get the teams ranked roughly in the 9-16 spot playing each other to make it to the semi-s rather pure luck based on drawing a weaker side, or a perenial top 8 regional power. After that, there are different options. I am partial to just going into a 2 group final, with the second place teams playing off for the 3rd guaranteed spot, while the loser competes for the half spot.

The system would be a lot better if they just drew the semi-final groups after the home-and-home legs (using current FIFA rankings, of course) when all the semi-finalists are actually known. Maybe if we end up with a group of Grenada/El Salvador/Antilles/Suriname they'll realize this for the next cycle.

Archived