CONCACAF WC Qualifying - Round 1

Sunday Feb 3:

Group 3

Bermuda 1-1 Cayman Islands

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/round=250441/match=10000004/index.html

Wednesday Feb 6:

Group 1

Dominica v Barbados

Group 11

El Salvador v Anguilla

Group 12

Nicaragua v Netherlands Antilles

Group 2

Turks and Caicos Islands v St Lucia

Group 4

Aruba v Antigua and Barbuda

Group 5

Belize v St Kitts and Nevis

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/standings/index.html

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by CanadianSwede

I find the FIFA World Cup website to be more comprehensive. They give full lineups etc. In any case the refs for the Bermuda vs. The Caymans are all canadian.

Former Lynx player and current MISL ( Indoor)player JB Nussum is in the starting lineup for Bermuda.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The Beliz v St. Kitts+Nevis match will actually be on Gol TV at 5:00 pm EST on Wednesday.

http://goltv.ca/scheduler/timetable.php

Just to be clear...more than half of Canada's games can't be seen on Canadian television, but Belize/St. Kitts and Nevis is good to go?

And what's really sad is that I'll likely watch it...

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Just to be clear...more than half of Canada's games can't be seen on Canadian television, but Belize/St. Kitts and Nevis is good to go?

And what's really sad is that I'll likely watch it...

Comon, only Bermuda and Iceland weren't shown on Canadian TV in 2007. All the other games were on Sportsnet. And I think we have to be realistic about our expectations of coverage of a game in Bermuda or in Iceland.

I think people aren't always fair on Sportsnet, yes their coverage isn't perfect but I feel like they've done a good job in the last year, even showing U-20's friendlies.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Comon, only Bermuda and Iceland weren't shown on Canadian TV in 2007. All the other games were on Sportsnet. And I think we have to be realistic about our expectations of coverage of a game in Bermuda or in Iceland.

I think people aren't always fair on Sportsnet, yes their coverage isn't perfect but I feel like they've done a good job in the last year, even showing U-20's friendlies.

I think he was referring to WCQ 2006.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I think he was referring to WCQ 2006.

I don't see where he's referring to that but in 2006 only the last game in Guatemala wasn't shown, some others weren't shown live but they were available on tape delay.

Honestly, I'm expecting better coverage in term of WCQ games in 2008-2009 but I don't think we can complain too much about Sportsnet in terms of showing us games.

I have to say that I have been happy with Sportsnet's coverage over the past year. I understand there are a lot of logistics to consider when dealing with the local provider but nonetheless I was a disappointed they couldn't get the feed for the Iceland match, considering it was the first game after a very successful Gold Cup. But otherwise, I have no other issues.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

But in the last round of qualifying, A lot of matches were shown on tape delay or in some cases, were not even available in certain regions. I'm pretty sure away matches were not shown. In some instances where the home games were shown, the production quality left a lot to be desired; example, they were using isolation shots on players duering the run of play.

As far as other broadcaster, TSN never mentions the Cnd national teams nor Cnd club soccer. So yeah, I'll grant you that RSN is better than evryone else and overall this is an ongoing process. We are light years ahead of where we were 10 years ago. And, I'll grant you that i dont need to see all friendlies.

But I'll reserve judgementr for when there are important matches coming

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

The roster of players include Carlos Slusher, Shane Orio, Deon McCauley, Deon Frazer, Harrison Roches, and Ryan Simpson. The coach is Palmino Salas.

Anyone else remember Shane Orio, the Belizean keeper from WCQ? He was their only good player and must have impressed someone else other than us Voyageurs as he has since transferred from the Belizean league and is the starting keeper for Costa Rican 1st division side Puntarenas FC.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Posted by jonny on another forum...

Again the home game cannot be played in Belize because none of our stadiums meet FIFA’s standards for security and infrastructure. Football Federation of Belize President Dr. Bertie Chimilio has maintained that it would have taken less than two hundred thousand dollars to repair the Carl Ramos Stadium in Dangriga. The FFB says government dragged its feet and that’s why the stadium isn’t ready "

http://www.7newsbelize.com/index.php#story1

This will be at least the second WCQ cycle that Belize can not play a home game. What a shame. Under 200k is peanuts for FIFA (who now pay hundreds of millions to already rich, giant euro clubs), why not help football in poor belize out a bit and foot the bill?[B)]

Five years ago Belize was a mess. They didn't have any internationals because of a dispute between the FA and the pro league. They got that sorted just before the start of qualifying, but between that and the government's sport body clashing with the FA it seems like they weren't able to take care of their pitch problems.

Now it's the same deal and the government is asking the players to boycott the game because it's a blow to Belize's sovereignty?

I tracked Belize for almost a year leading up to Kingston. I'm wondering if it's a changing of the guard. Orio was definitely their best player, but I'm wondering if Vallan Symms or Robert Muschamp have retired. Deon Frazer was playing well in their league but didn't figure much against us. I just hoping diving Victor Morales isn't there to tarnish this game.

I'm curious to see how Belize makes out.

Gol TV does show some Guatemalan league play so since this is in Guatemala it may be pretty easy for them to broadcast.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Anyone else remember Shane Orio, the Belizean keeper from WCQ? He was their only good player and must have impressed someone else other than us Voyageurs as he has since transferred from the Belizean league and is the starting keeper for Costa Rican 1st division side Puntarenas FC.

Sure do, certainly kept them in the game, despite the Voyageurs' chants

of "Belize are so bad ..." (to the tune of "Feliz Navidad").

Oh well, their team was no match for our squad of "millionaires".;)

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Its not like Gol TV is breaking the bank for this game. They will have their idiot commentators call this from the studio. It should be interesting because I don't even know how you do research for a game like that.

"Idiot commentators", huh? Good to see this is the kind of thanks these guys get for putting in the work they do promoting the game in this country.

Dumbass.

LOL, I think you're the dumbass, LMS. Did I hurt your feelings there? Do you have a family member that works for Gol TV?

I'm not talking about Paul James here. I mean guys like Roy Hudson who call the matches from a monitor. I don't know what that has to do with promoting the game here. I find the match commentating lacking on Gol TV (except for the B1 matches though). There 2 main commentating teams suck. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Fanz to coach Cuba free of charge

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=684393.html#fanz+coach+cuba+free+charge

(Reuters) Monday 4 February 2008

Cuba will not pay their new coach, Reinhold Fanz of Germany, as he takes on the daunting task of leading them to the 2010 FIFA World Cup finals.

The Cuban Football Association said on Monday Fanz was loaned by German lower-league side Bonner SC. Cuba will only cover his living and travel expenses.

Fanz, 54, will start training Cuba in March. The former Fortuna Dusseldorf player has had spells coaching Bundesliga clubs Hannover 96 and Eintracht Frankfurt, but has never before coached a national team.

Cuba is 71 in the FIFA/Coca-Cola world ranking and has not reached the World finals since 1938, when they were ousted 8-0 by Sweden in the quarter-finals.

"Nothing is impossible," Cuban FA president Luis Hernandez said of the team's prospects at a news conference. "Cuba is as good as Trinidad and Tobago, which qualified for the last World Cup," Hernandez said.

"This has to be our opportunity," he added.

Fanz will take the Cuban team to train in Germany and Austria later this spring.

Past Cuban coaches included a Korean, a Hungarian and a Peruvian.

Archived