CONCACAF WC Qualifying - Round 1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's abundantly clear how horrible this system is. One of Honduras or Canada most likely won't make it into the Hex and that is a travesty for either country as we are both not WC regulars have our best sides ever and one will be eliminated when much weaker teams will water down the HEX. T&T and Costa Rica are'nt good any more period, It's going to be MEX, USA Canada/Honduras and most likely a sacrificial lamb for the South Americans, IMO there are only 4 sides of any quality in CONCACAF and Mexico has to be the class and I think that the USA is very vulnerable and us and Honduras can take them down, unfortunately our semi group could not be any worse with number one ranked Mexico, even the 4th team isn't that bad by concacaf standards.

quote:Originally posted by villus

I think it's abundantly clear how horrible this system is. One of Honduras or Canada most likely won't make it into the Hex and that is a travesty for either country as we are both not WC regulars have our best sides ever and one will be eliminated when much weaker teams will water down the HEX. T&T and Costa Rica are'nt good any more period, It's going to be MEX, USA Canada/Honduras and most likely a sacrificial lamb for the South Americans, IMO there are only 4 sides of any quality in CONCACAF and Mexico has to be the class and I think that the USA is very vulnerable and us and Honduras can take them down, unfortunately our semi group could not be any worse with number one ranked Mexico, even the 4th team isn't that bad by concacaf standards.

agreed, Jack Warner should be ashamed of himself for possibly making sure that CONCACAF won't be sending it's most talented teams to the world cup. If costa rica or trinidad made the world cup they'd likely embarress us unless they turn it all around in 2 years which is doubtful.

How many irregularities have to occur before we can go to like fifa and say this SOB is just plain old corrupt and is pissing on his own confederation. It just bothers me that the man in charge of CONCACAF is letting us be embarressed. Honestly if I was in charge, and say Canada was at the time the fifth best team in CONCACAF, I wouldn't rig **** because it would be more beneficial to Canada in the long to have our Confederation do better without us then with us. What kind of loser would lower the quality of world cup? This may seem silly but I really only want Canada to make it if we have the talent for it (which we currently do), If we made it with a ****ty team on a few lucky calls, I would be ashamed to lower the quality of the world cup, we'd be rigging our initial group, we'd probably embarress ourselves and I would be aware that somewhere around the world, a potential 92 euro denmark could be wasting away. That's what probably will happen if TnT makes it this time around, Jack's pride will make his country a laughing stock.

I know it probably wasn't meant as a slight villus, but I wouldn't count out Jamaica. They easily dispatched their lesser light this round as well and with their compliment of, ahem, new citizens (ie- British Championship players born of Jamaican decent), they will be no pushover. They are in better form than Costa Rica, T & T and Guatamala right now.

quote:Originally posted by fan75

The system would be a lot better if they just drew the semi-final groups after the home-and-home legs (using current FIFA rankings, of course) when all the semi-finalists are actually known. Maybe if we end up with a group of Grenada/El Salvador/Antilles/Suriname they'll realize this for the next cycle.

That would be preferrable to the current system for sure.

But doesn't address many of the major beefs that I have had for while. Namely, its too short and has too few games for a side like Canada. In the last three cycles, it started in mid august and was over in November. And realistaclly in most cases it was over in October and maybe even in september. All the while, much the rest of the world is not even in full swing yet. That makes it hard to promote the national teams in canada and international soccer if you only play meaningfull games for a brief 6-8 week period every four years.

The proposal that Gordon mentioned above is the one that I have wished for the longest time. Merge two rounds ( semi final and hex) into one round with two groups. And if some FA's from tiny nations cant afford to play anything beyond 3-5 games then maybe look at 10 rather than twelve teams.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I know it probably wasn't meant as a slight villus, but I wouldn't count out Jamaica. They easily dispatched their lesser light this round as well and with their compliment of, ahem, new citizens (ie- British Championship players born of Jamaican decent), they will be no pushover. They are in better form than Costa Rica, T & T and Guatamala right now.

I agree I did'nt mean to knock Jamaica, I think it just adds to the ridiculousniss of our group but it could work in our favor if they can cause some troubles to the other teams as long as we can take care of business.

Its definitely sad when the third round group will probably be harder to advance from than the fourth round group. I mean, I'll look at it from the standpoint of the two best countries in CONCACAF. The US is going to draw Guatemala, Bermuda/T&T and Cuba, while Mexico draws three countries who are better than any of the three in the US group. And Group C looks like an OFC group or something.

Also, since I haven't read through this thread in its entirety yet (so this very well may have been answered in the middle of it), when does CONCACAF decide the schedule for the next round, and when does the CSA decide which games will be played in Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal? I wonder what game the CSA will put in Toronto.

Very premature to say CRC aren't any good anymore. Only one game has been played so far and we are writting off CRC. As i said yesterday, CRC seemingly struggled against Cuba the last time in the prelim round. The seasoned sides in this region and anywhere around the world are very good at pacing themselves when it comes to WCQ. I dont know how many times in WCQ I've seen people in the early stages write the oblituaries for Italy. A few years ago, people were doing the same for Brazil.

FWIW, I think Costa Rica has lost a step from a few years ago, but it's still a dangerous regional side. Although it drew Grenada the other day, I'm sure it will make up for that performance when it plays the return leg at home.

As for T&T, it is in much bigger trouble. Not only did it lose at home, but it allowed Bermuda to get two away goals. In order to advance to the semis, T&T has to essentially win by two or more in its next game. A margin of victory of that magnitude on the road will be tough to get, even against a small Caribbean nation.

quote:Originally posted by theaub

and when does the CSA decide which games will be played in Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal? I wonder what game the CSA will put in Toronto.

Out of respect to the opponent, you wont see that information releaseed to the public until after the game versus St Vincent and the Grenadines this weekend. It would be very arrogant to post the dates and loaction of the next games before.

judging from the past we will know the answer to your question very short after this weekends game. I am fairly confident in saying they already know the anser to your question.

C'mon boys. The qualifying is what it is. No one is going to change it. Jack Warner has got Blatter in his back pocket.

We have to come out top 2 in the semis. Let's do it! I think that we will finish FIRST in our group, ahead of Mexico, Honduras and Jamaica, in that order. We are going to put a patent on possession football in our qualifying campaign.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Out of respect to the opponent, you wont see that information releaseed to the public until after the game versus St Vincent and the Grenadines this weekend. It would be very arrogant to post the dates and loaction of the next games before.

judging from the past we will know the answer to your question very short after this weekends game. I am fairly confident in saying they already know the anser to your question.

The speculation was august 20 vs jamaica in TO (hopefully they rethink that one), sept 12 vs honduras in MTL, and oct 15 vs mexico in e-town.

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

The speculation was august 20 vs jamaica in TO (hopefully they rethink that one), sept 12 vs honduras in MTL, and oct 15 vs mexico in e-town.

The CSA seems adept at doing that. They'll probably bring a reggae band along too.

We need some snow in October this year.

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

They already rethought that one. Jamaica = bigger crowd in TO then in Montreal

quote:Originally posted by Ed

C'mon boys. The qualifying is what it is. No one is going to change it. Jack Warner has got Blatter in his back pocket.

We have to come out top 2 in the semis. Let's do it! I think that we will finish FIRST in our group, ahead of Mexico, Honduras and Jamaica, in that order. We are going to put a patent on possession football in our qualifying campaign.

good point, this whole process has been depressing me and no doubt others but we (especially me) have got to stop getting hung up on the bull**** and be glad that we got a wicked team that could very well top our group. There's prestige to be had in winning with almost all external factors working against you could really build character that will be a huge factor in the world cup.

Too many excuses before hand could hamper our attitude (and I'm just as guilty as the rest). We have to seize this as OUR qualifiers and OUR world cup and stomp everybody in our way, let them deal with the nightmere of bull**** jack created, it's time for us to crush some dreams and step on whoever it takes to reach South Africa and more.

Anybody have a vague idea of the altitude at Chiapas? Hopefully a tad lower than Azteca and no choking smog. I also like the fact we're playing in a track stadium where urine bags and batteries can't reach our players.

edit: judging from some quick google searches it's about 1000-2000 feet elevation. MUCH better than the 10,000 feet in Mexico City.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Anybody have a vague idea of the altitude at Chiapas? Hopefully a tad lower than Azteca and no choking smog. I also like the fact we're playing in a track stadium where urine bags and batteries can't reach our players.

edit: judging from some quick google searches it's about 1000-2000 feet elevation. MUCH better than the 10,000 feet in Mexico City.

A guy I know from Mexico said 2,500, but he also said not to underestimate the arms of Mexicans :)

Here's the full scouting report from the guy I know:

"Chiapas is like right on the border of Guatemala. Its tropical, and it's known for having problems who don't throw urine bags at opposing teams. They throw bags of **** instead.

Chiapas has a lot of political issues, and I guess that tends to lead towards having problematic fans. Mexican clubs hate having to travel there because of the crappy weather and the lack of love from the people.

So yeah, you go from having an altitude issue to a humidity issue. But don't worry, if for some reason Chucho planned this crap in order to scare Sven away, Canada will have a field day with the current squad that Ramirez likes to put out on the field."

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I agree with the thinking that its entirely possible that 4 out of the best 6 teams in concacaf are in our (likely) semifinal group.

Archived