Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Preliminary Round - Toronto FC v Simcoe County Rovers - April 24, 2024

2 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Rovers have some good attacking players but backs are nowhere near organized or good enough to keep them in this

Very kind of you to put it in such an understated way.

4 hours ago, K Edgar said:

It appears last year's Simcoe roster had a lot of players with CanPL experience (Javier George, Orlendis Benítez, Alejandro Portal, Gabriel Boakye, Shawn-Claud Lawson, Ijah Halley).  Anyone know where one could find this year's roster?

I read an article somewhere that said they had nine of the eleven starters from last year’s final back. 

For sure.  100%.  The calendar will never favour the lower league sides in this tournament.   But is it that long since the winter season ended?  Because I'm assuming all of those players were kitted up through the winter.

But still, the marking is school yard stuff and Toronto is doing them in slow motion.  

Here's hoping nobody hurts anything more than their pride tonight.

9 minutes ago, Canuckia said:

I've been a season seat holder since day one but there is definitely a "Real housewives of Barrie" vibe in the crowd tonight.

I was at the match as well and it was almost surreal to see so many supporters.  Obviously much more of a family vibe minor league baseball crowd.  But every L1O team would kill to have that kind of fan base no matter what.

Just now, JamboAl said:

I was at the match as well and it was almost surreal to see so many supporters.  Obviously much more of a family vibe minor league baseball crowd.  But every L1O team would kill to have that kind of fan base no matter what.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Very good point. I hope things continue grow!

What type of crowd does Simcoe County regularly pull in? IMO anything over 500 is pretty good for the level.

Back in the PDL days Foothills would usually draw 250-300 for most games and 750-1200 for the first home game of the season or playoffs.

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

What type of crowd does Simcoe County regularly pull in? IMO anything over 500 is pretty good for the level.

Back in the PDL days Foothills would usually draw 250-300 for most games and 750-1200 for the first home game of the season or playoffs.

Went to two regular season games.  One was probably around 500 and the other was closer to 700-800.  I think the Vaughan Azzurri game was closer to 1,100 which was over capacity.

I was able to watch for the first 2 goals, but then a combination of my wife coming home asking for the Leafs being put on, and me having bedtime duty tonight for the kids, I didn't see the other 3. Of course the game isn't on The Score app, not mentioned on MLS's website, and the Toronto FC website doesn't even have the starting lineups, let alone a score. I thought maybe I'd find goal scorers listed here, but nope. I've found them on google now.

Owusu
Mailula
Long
Osorio
Spicer

I saw most of an Osorio interview after the game, and it was hinted he scored. Glad to hear that. I was hoping for a TFC win, but it would have been great if Simcoe County could get a goal for the travelling fans to cheer for.

League 1 Canada goals scored in the Voyageurs Cup.
TSS Rovers 3 against Valour (won the game)
Blainville 1 against HFX Wanderers
Vaughan 3 against HFX Wanderers across 2 legs (lost on away goals)

So League 1 Canada teams are yet to score against MLS competition (5-0 for TFC this year, 2-0 for CF Montreal last year against Vaughan).

Edited by Kent

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

Of course the game isn't on The Score app, not mentioned on MLS's website, and the Toronto FC website doesn't even have the starting lineups, let alone a score. I thought maybe I'd find goal scorers listed here, but nope. I've found them on google now.

FotMob app is your friend. Lineups, goalscorers, and match facts all live.

3 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

FotMob app is your friend. Lineups, goalscorers, and match facts all live.

You're right. I should download that. Do they have CONCACAF Champions Cup? I presume they have Voyageurs Cup since you are mentioning it in this context. Other things like CONCACAF Nations League? If it can fill all of The Score apps gaps, that would be perfect.

Edited by Kent

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

You're right. I should download that. Do they have CONCACAF Champions Cup? I presume they have Voyageurs Cup since you are mentioning it in this context. Other things like CONCACAF Nations League? If it can fill all of The Score apps gaps, that would be perfect.

It has everything, whether you want to keep up with Tanzania pro league, Russian fourth tier, or Voyageurs Preliminary Round. It's my go-to for all and any footy match updates.

Edited by Mihairokov

21 hours ago, Kent said:

It has all that.

What is usually missing is Concacaf youth qualifiers. Women match info is improving but often don't have player background info & match analytics and at times don't have the lineups.

17 minutes ago, masster said:

Match Night on OneSoccer mentioned some unfortunate comments that John Herdman made after this match. Can somebody link to what they were referring to? Thanks

It was typical Herdman. When asked about the 5-0 victory, he waxed on about how disappointed he was that the team didn't break the VC record for most goals in a game. Sorry, don't have a link.