Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Preliminary Round - Toronto FC v Simcoe County Rovers - April 24, 2024

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

Something random I always wondered but never asked: Do Gold medals at the pro level actually have any Gold in them? Or are they no different than cheap base metals you get in youth soccer?

If those were 24k Gold they'd be worth around $10-12K each, judging from the picture.

I doubt the Canadian championships spend THAT much money on Gold Medals, but these are also pro athletes competing. I feel like they deserve prizes that hold some monatary value. 

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Something random I always wondered but never asked: Do Gold medals at the pro level actually have any Gold in them? Or are they no different than cheap base metals you get in youth soccer?

If those were 24k Gold they'd be worth around $10-12K each, judging from the picture.

I doubt the Canadian championships spend THAT much money on Gold Medals, but these are also pro athletes competing. I feel like they deserve prizes that hold some monatary value. 

I'm guessing these don't.

But maybe the Olympics ones do?

It appears last year's Simcoe roster had a lot of players with CanPL experience (Javier George, Orlendis Benítez, Alejandro Portal, Gabriel Boakye, Shawn-Claud Lawson, Ijah Halley).  Anyone know where one could find this year's roster?

59 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

It appears last year's Simcoe roster had a lot of players with CanPL experience (Javier George, Orlendis Benítez, Alejandro Portal, Gabriel Boakye, Shawn-Claud Lawson, Ijah Halley).  Anyone know where one could find this year's roster?

I'm not sure butI know off hand that Benitez, Portal and Lawson are still around. 

these are some of the players they have or at least who were announced as on the roster for 2024

alejandro portal
orlendis benitez
alexander zis
justyn thomas
shawn-claud lawson
cameron da silva
allen saye blegay
andre beecher
kai garvey
felipe d'agostini
ijah halley
javier george
milton joseph
micah joseph
jalen watson
jevonte layne
paul karagianakos
tajay reid
shamir akbar
cj smith
luc ihama
nathaniel st louis
matthew fisher
jordan barclay
rimi olatunji
andron karagramanyan
matt passacquale
dikola douglas

lots of former pros in there and good quality overall...led by zak "zico" mahrady who used to play in the lower leagues in sweden and doneil henry helped them prepare also...if toronto doesnt take this seriously there could be a possibility of an upset...if kosi thompson starts at cb like herdman hinted then simcoe should be going at him