Match Thread: CONCACAF Champions Cup - Round 1 - Leg 1: Forge v Chivas (Mexico) - February 7, 2024

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If this tournament keeps its current place in the calendar, a CPL team never really stands a chance.

It’s tough no matter when they have it these top Mexican sides are just very good , what the Leagues Cup showed us was that there are a lot of mediocre Mexican League teams . However , but the top sides like Chivas ,Tigres , Club America and so on are top notch with incredible passionate fans . 

1 minute ago, SoccMan said:

It’s tough no matter when they have it these top Mexican sides are just very good , what the Leagues Cup showed us was that there are a lot of mediocre Mexican League teams . However , but the top sides like Chivas ,Tigres , Club America and so on are top notch with incredible passionate fans . 

CPL teams haven't even filled out their rosters by early February. Fitness is also no contest. I think Forge could easily have played this team much closer in different conditions, as much as I enjoy watching them lose.

Don't want to dwell on it too much but Hamilton had the largest crowd of all five matches this matchweek.

Just now, jonovision said:

CPL teams haven't even filled out their rosters by early February. Fitness is also no contest. I think Forge could easily have played this team much closer in different conditions, as much as I enjoy watching them lose.

Forge backs were gassed twenty minutes in. Game is much closer if it's played in May.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Why with about 20 seconds left and you win a free kick in their half you play it backwards and not just send one in to the box? I'll never get that

That's Bobbyball for ya. At times it is infuriating, and dull and then it works (in cpl) and he looks like he knows what he's doing.

Just now, Mihairokov said:

Don't want to dwell on it too much but Hamilton had the largest crowd of all five matches this matchweek.

Forge backs were gassed twenty minutes in. Game is much closer if it's played in May.

Dom and Belewu were struggling for sure. Thought Belewu looked good until a few minutes before the third goal, had played Cowell well, but then he went over a cliff and looked out of it. It's always interesting to see who can up their game. In the yes column: Jonsson, Belewu, Borges (somewhat, still frustrating at times), Metusala. In the no: Hojabrpour, Samuel, Choiniere, Badibenga. Bekker and Campbell always leave me on the fence. Tavernier looks promising.

10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That's Bobbyball for ya. At times it is infuriating, and dull and then it works (in cpl) and he looks like he knows what he's doing.

So you're saying he doesn't know what he's doing? Just need you to clarify that. 

1 minute ago, longlugan said:

So you're saying he doesn't know what he's doing? Just need you to clarify that. 

No, I think his results make a pretty compelling case that he does, but sometimes in the season I find myself wishing for a forward pass or a corner into the box.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

No, I think his results make a pretty compelling case that he does, but sometimes in the season I find myself wishing for a forward pass or a corner into the box.

Hmmm four championships and very respectable results in CONCACAF competitions say otherwise. One of the best coaches in the region...in my opinion.