Match Thread: CONCACAF Champions Cup - Round 1 - Leg 1: Forge v Chivas (Mexico) - February 7, 2024

1 minute ago, longlugan said:

Hmmm four championships and very respectable results in CONCACAF competitions say otherwise. One of the best coaches in the region...in my opinion. 

That's what I'm also saying, the style of play just frustrates me at times.

I agree that Forge can be frustrating to watch, they go through long streaks of offensive ineptitude but they always seem to get it together when it really matters! This year could be different with many teams in the league improving potentially and some obvious question marks around Forge's roster!

6 minutes ago, gator said:

I agree that Forge can be frustrating to watch, they go through long streaks of offensive ineptitude but they always seem to get it together when it really matters! This year could be different with many teams in the league improving potentially and some obvious question marks around Forge's roster!

Agreed. I think they're lacking scoring threats up front, Badibenga has not convinced me otherwise, and have to get some central D depth or an injury to Jonsson or Metusala could be bad news.

9 hours ago, longlugan said:

Why...because they play a style that brings them a result?

Because they pass the ball backwards on a free kick with no time left instead of pumping in the box. Plays like that are frustrating to watch. 

9 hours ago, longlugan said:

I will say this about Forge FC...they have something that all other Canadian pro clubs lack...an identity. I'm convinced that Bobby Smyrniotis is one of the best coaches in CONCACAF.

Are you telling me Cavs don't have an identity?

I do think Cavalry has an identity, but it has changed over the years. In year 1, the theme of their footballing identity was "scythe down everything that moves and hope the referee gets tired of calling fouls", and was quite successful. I do think over the last few years they have been playing actual football.

Forge Fan ... perspective with a grain of salt for the other non-fans😀

That said, they were better- that Cade dude was so athletic and full of pace - game breaker and difference maker

Hockey analogy - like when Canada play Latvia in hockey- everything needs to go right for Latvia to win. They may score a goal here or there with team talent ( Like the Forge goal) and also miss chances too ( J Hams late in the game as an example) Everything would need to fall into place for a Forge W against a MX team, but all things considered for Forge; first game, Henry GK issue, squad changes year over year the fact that Forge were competitive and at times on the front foot was heartening and a good advert for the CPL in general.